Inside the Macbook Air

rob356

32 posts in this topic

They never did, they never will, is not like their operating system (Sneak Peak anyone?).

Like it, buy it; don't like it, don buy it.

What company do that, Dell, Ferrari, Sony or Nike? sheesh

Just because the Air is more expensive, doesn't mean it's better. Far from it. Nothing is "better" about the MacBook Air. It's just 2 lbs lighter. Oooooo. Don't throw your back out. I've been around the world and back. Believe me, 2lbs is negligible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=b...amp;x=0&y=0

So yes it is better in terms of weight and yes 2 lbs makes a lot of difference (and again you believe that everyone else is like you, so your needs are everyone else's).

Also it has better energy consumption, better battery life, better materials, better package, less space is better for some (we know that not for you, ok), better does not means only faster, or bigger or with every port/connection attached.

I wonder how hard it is to replace the hard drive yourself also.

I was wondering this too. Seems like it would be fairly easy to do, yet no one talks about it.

Looks like they had to pull the images

Not sure why, unless they were originally taken by Apple. Images are copyrighted to the photographer, not Apple.

There are people out there with computers with FAR WORSE specs who don't seem to think their computers are useless.

VERY good point. Most of the people that are whining about MB Air are MS Fanboys, and people that love the general idea of the MB Air, but are VERY disappointed that Apple didn’t include a certain feature. I know someone that has had one in their hands and the very first thing that they said was that from the very moment that you pick one up you start to fall in love with it. The MB Air is not perfect for everyone, BUT then what laptop is? :unsure: The MB Air is simply another OPTION in the MacBook lineup. Nothing more, nothing less. If it fits your needs then you’ll probably be drawn to it like a magnet. If it doesn’t, then you’ll be drawn to one of the other models, BUT that is no reason for these clowns to be ragging on the MB Air. No notebook is a perfect solution for everyone, that’s why they make more than one model to choose from.

the whole point of a macbook air is to be ultra-portable. If you are carrying a battery, its not ultra-portable

Carrying around an extra battery has nothing to do with the laptops portability. People bring extra equipment with them all the time. The battery doesn’t need to be user replaceable, but there is NO reason why Apple couldn’t have simply included a power jack where you could plug in an auxiliary power source, if needed. This would have AT LEAST given many people an option to consider buying the MB Air. I’m sorry, but Apple really made a STUPID decision by not at least including a simple power jack.

Yeah. I think there are many whiners now a days

Sadly that is true :( No *cough* names *cough* mentioned ;)

If Apple told us the specs of the Air 6 months ahead of time they would've gotten feedback and been able to make adjustments to please more people. Then again it would also take away the media coverage as it wouldn't be a surprise anymore.

This is an excellent point! Apple SHOULD have tested the product better before making a final decision about it, but that’s not Apples style. As it stands right now it was a big surprise, BUT one for many people that was a bad surprise. What good is the media coverage if most of it is bad? I see a MB Air Pro on the horizon :P

last time i checked, not everyone used photoshop on a daily basis (or at all)

Time to get out of your cave and into the real world -_- For MANY people photoshop, or programs like them, are essential to their day to day work.

the macbook air is no different from the MacBook

This from a self-proclaimed 'expert' who has NEVER held, nor even used one :rolleyes:

Clearly the MB Air is not intended toward your demographic, BUT that is no reason to be immature and bash the product. You’re like those people who whine about certain TV shows that they want to be taken off the air. The advice given to those people is to simply not watch those programs, and to just pass them up when they are using their remote. Likewise, people like you should just pass on the MB Air and focus your attention on one of the other models. Howling at the moon like you habitually do, isn’t going to even stop one person from buying the product. All it’s going to do is to (how can I say this nicely) make you and all the other whiners look ignorant. There is NOTHING wrong with having a company, any company, offer its customers more options. That’s all that Apple has done in this case. Granted, it may not be the right option for you, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not the right option for somebody else. Grow up. You're not fooling anyone here.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Pot, meet kettle.

Nothing is "better" about the MacBook Air. It's just 2 lbs lighter.

First you claim that there is nothing better, THEN you give an example of where it’s better. Do you even read your own posts? :rolleyes: What a joke :D

I wonder how hard it is to replace the hard drive yourself also. If its pretty easy I am going to consider buying one on Newegg or elsewhere to get SSD for about 1/3 the price of Apple's price.

Interesting to see a better offer that Apple's 64GB for 1000$. Didn't find one on newegg either.

i wonder if you could stick one of the 160gb drives from the ipod into this one - or would it be too thick? i'm assuming apple only use the 80gb drive for the fact that it's a single platter drive, while the 160gb drive is dual platter, and therefore thicker...

Also it has better energy consumption, better battery life, better materials, better package, less space is better for some (we know that not for you, ok), better does not means only faster, or bigger or with every port/connection attached.

The most interesting take away from these early reviews: Both Baig and Mossberg found that in their workaday usage tests, the MacBook Air's battery life was less than what Apple advertises. Apple claims 5 hours of battery life for MacBook Air; those two reviewers averaged just 3 and a half hours.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006355.html

... My MacBook gets 5 hours as it is...

I guess my point about "paying more for less" stands.

Time to get out of your cave and into the real world :( For MANY people photoshop, or programs like them, are essential to their day to day work.

This from a self-proclaimed 'expert' who has NEVER held, nor even used one :)

Clearly the MB Air is not intended toward your demographic, BUT that is no reason to be immature and bash the product. You’re like those people who whine about certain TV shows that they want to be taken off the air. The advice given to those people is to simply not watch those programs, and to just pass them up when they are using their remote. Likewise, people like you should just pass on the MB Air and focus your attention on one of the other models. Howling at the moon like you habitually do, isn’t going to even stop one person from buying the product. All it’s going to do is to (how can I say this nicely) make you and all the other whiners look ignorant. There is NOTHING wrong with having a company, any company, offer its customers more options. That’s all that Apple has done in this case. Granted, it may not be the right option for you, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not the right option for somebody else. Grow up. You're not fooling anyone here.

Pot, meet kettle.

First you claim that there is nothing better, THEN you give an example of where it’s better. Do you even read your own posts? :rolleyes: What a joke :D

Holy flaming fanboy.

For a product that hasn't been released yet, you're all over it's nuts.

Do you even own an Apple Computer? Don't you work in a 2-bit computer store?

And thank you, jackass, I know that some people use Photoshop. Not everyone does. Photoshop runs on the MacBook, too ... incase you didn't know (and there's apparently alot you don't). I like how you're overly concerned about portability -- yet, your logic doesn't add up. Chances are travelers want to be entertained, and since even Graphic Artists would like to enjoy a movie or two on their 8 hour flight to where-ever on their crappy new MacBook Air, they'd have to go onto iTunes Store, (which is uh, unavailable on flight for most due to lack of internet?), buy (or rent) the movie, and wait for the download to complete. Or, in the event of saving time they'll have to bring that external DVD drive to play their favorite flicks -- which differs even more space than the original MacBook did in the first place. Doesn't this defeat the convenience, let alone the portability of MacBook Air computer?

The difference is a 1/4 and 2lbs. Negligible. Are you really this much out of shape? Maybe you should opt out for a MacBook and a gym membership, for your health's sake instead.

I'm putting my opinion in about the MacBook Air, and everyone flips out here like a clown in a circus. Not being able to stomach constructive negativity about Apple is childish and pathetic.

Actually, it's a shame that you follow me around to every individual thread to tear apart each one of my posts with your closed-minded views. I guess you're a fanboy of all sorts -- Apple Fanboy -- CLiDE Fanboy ... hey, I guess everyone can't be an individual, can they?

Interesting to see a better offer that Apple's 64GB for 1000$. Didn't find one on newegg either.
Holy cow! They have a 128GB for $3200.00 :)
I like how you're overly concerned about portability
Not portabilty, just honesty - which you clearly don't have a clue about. All you do is make stuff up. I've never seen anyone make more mountains out of molehills than you.
Chances are travelers want to be entertained
You have NO idea how other people wish to use their laptops, so please quit pretending to be a know it all :( I'm sure people are smart enough to take how they're going to be using the product into account before they buy it.
Not being able to stomach constructive negativity about Apple
It has nothing to do with that and you know it! You have NEVER been honest about anything that you've ever said on this site. All you do is whine every chance that you get. Even the MS fanboys here are right every now and then about their concerns about Apple, but you obviously just bash for the sake of bashing :) What happened clide? Did you catch an Apple employee kissing your girlfriend, and so now you've sworn your life to tearing down the company... Your hatred for Apple clearly goes deeper than their products. We get it, you don't like the MB Air, now please can you just give it a rest? :)

Maxintard, are you going to contribute to the topic, or just talk about me? I know you have a secret crush on me, but that's what PM is for.

The topic is "Inside the MacBook Air", and my opinion is that there's not a whole lot in a MacBook Air.

Question: How many of you use your laptop to watch movies on a long trip? Do you think the 3 hours that testers are getting is acceptable?