Kalyway Leopard & Gigabyte P35-DS4 - Install Guide

dublove

12 posts in this topic

Another thread for this board :) Most of the others seem to focus on other releases and even installing the retail dvd. I thought I would start one based on a Kalyway install.

The system:

Gigabyte p35 ds4 rev 2.0 (Bios f11)

Core2Duo 2.4 e6600 (extreme120 heatsink) @ 3.0g

4g G.Skill ddr2 1000mhz (2x2g)

Geforce 8800gtx

Lian Li A05b Case

Seagate Sata 500g HD x2

Pioneer Sata DVDrw

Corsair 630HX psu

Noctua case fans

Razer Pro Mouse

Apple Keyboard

Dell 2407 LCD

The bios is set up with pretty much everything enabled.

HDD smart = Enabled

CPU Hyperthreading = Enabled

Limit cpu id max 3 = disabled

no execute protect = Enabled

cpu halt c1e = disabled

cpu thermal monitor = Enabled

cpu eist = disabled

virtualization tech = Enabled

sata raid/ahci = ahci

sata port 0-3 native = enabled

usb controler = Enabled

usb 2 controller = Enabled

usb kb support = Enabled

usb mouse support = Enabled

legacy usb = Enabled

azalia codec = Enabled

onboard 1394 = Enabled

onboard lan = Enabled

lan boot rom = disabled

onboard sata/ide device = Enabled

onboard sata/ide device mode = ahci

acpi suspend type = S3

soft of by pwr button = instant off

hpet support = enabled

hpet mode = 64 bit

The rest is just overclocking and standard stuff like i'm sure you have all seen before. Press control & F1 in the bios menu to get more options :)

NOTE: It seems bios F7 that came with the board wasn't too good for me, kept undoing my over-clock settings every few restarts or so, and also did not detect the cpu properly (it thought the multimplyer was 8 not 9 giving me 2.16ghz). I have now just flashed the new F11 bios which has a few new features, it shows the real voltage's rather than 'OK'. They have introduced 'loadline calibration' too which is supposed to improve the vdroop under load. Make sure when you flash that you erase the dmi data as well..!

Sleep works fine for me under F11!!!

Install notes:

1) Both hard drives are on the ICH9 as 0 & 1

2) Dvd-rw is on GSata port because the Pioneer drives seem to have this bug where they will disappear from the ICH9. From what I gather this is Pioneers fault with their drive firmware not the board or the chipset. Doesn't disappear on the GSata although it does seem slower. Also the GSata drivers in XP or Vista are appalling - The whole system will lag when you access the DVD-RW. (Gigabyte say it's not the driver but hardware - so why does it not do it under osx???)

I booted up of the Kalyway dvd and proceeded to partition one hard drive as GUID. Selected both kernels in the options and EFI v8 GUID. Then let it install. When finished I restarted and got to the Darwin boot-loader followed by the grey Apple screen. This is where I encountered the first problem - it spontaneously restarted the moment the grey Apple logo screen showed! This was solved by disabling HPET in the bios. Then I was able to boot successfully to the desktop.

Setting up Leopard:

1) I was able to enable HPET 64 bit again after I used kext helper to install dmos.kext from efi8 package.

2) I used mac.nub's nvinject package for the 8800gtx with the 768mb option. This worked first time and is shown in the system profiler and opengl extensions viewer.

3) Installed the reboot fix from irc.

4) Installed 889 audio kext

5) Installed the hard drive fix to make my drives show as internal Download it Here: HDFix.zip

6) Installed Razer Pro drivers for the mouse. (Works great)

Hardware issues:

So far so good. Sleep works fine (and instant) although you have to press the power button to resume.

System profile shows everything up correctly and it all works - firewire, usb2, the whole lot.

Audio? It works on each output port and on each input port. I tested each one bar the digital as I don't do digital yet lol.

Secondly there is some kind of issue with sharing. It will absolutely NOT see the imac downstairs on the lan. The imac cannot see me either. This is fixed by using the Realtek sourceforge driver, but as LS8 has found you have to manualy set you dhcp info in the network prefs. Not a problem for me as I just make my router assign my mac address the same IP etc every time. I can now use the printer on the iMac downstairs!

Thirdly, there *is* a shutdown issue. Reboot works every time however shutdown works I would say 9/10 times successfully. Interestingly I installed Vista64 on the other hard drive and it has failed to shut down a few times from that! Basically the shutdown sequence works fine it's just that the fans keep spinning and you have to press the power button. I have also found that shutdown will not power off the fans etc if you have slept the computer beforehand.

The 8800GTX is detected correctly with full ram. Some people have had trouble with the fan speed under osx but all is good here and its nice and fast.

Software issues:

Logmein is a utility to remote access your mac from another pc and it does not work. This is to do with the AppleSMBIOS from the efi package - some other people has posted about this on Netkas's forum.

I have Paragon NTFS installed which allows me to read/write to my Vista drive - works seamlessly too.

FCS with all the updates works fine.

Adobe CS Studio works fine with all the updates.

UPDATE 1: EFI Strings

Finally sat down and worked it out. I have attached a zip with several files. strings.zip

8800gtx.hex - String for gfx only. (Delete NVInject.kext or whatever you are using currently)

8800gtx889alc.hex - Combined string for the 8800gtx & 889a audio. (You have to keep the modded applehda.kext (included) but delete appleazalia.kext & alcinject.kext)

Lastly just rebuild the kext cache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Also I have included the original editable plists before they get converted via gfxutil to a hex string. Look at this thread to see how its done Here. In the meanwhile you can just open these hex files with text edit and copy paste.

I will admit it's not any faster that NVInject or anything but I feel happier now I've got some efi strings! :)

Thank you so much for this guide. After days of frustration, your post helped me succeed where the others failed. The only two variations I had were:

BIOS version: F8

onboard sata/ide device mode = IDE (I'm using an IDE DVD-ROM)

One thing I discovered through my experience as well was that trying to install onto a RAID stripe, or even just a partition would not work. I ended up using the entire partition. It worked out quite well.

If you're ever in the Atlanta area -- I owe both you and the Kalyway author a beer.

Another thread for this board :P Most of the others seem to focus on other releases and even installing the retail dvd. I thought I would start one based on a Kalyway install.

The system:

Gigabyte p35 ds4 rev 2.0 (Bios f11)

Core2Duo 2.4 e6600 (extreme120 heatsink) @ 3.0g

4g G.Skill ddr2 1000mhz (2x2g)

Geforce 8800gtx

Lian Li A05b Case

Seagate Sata 500g HD x2

Pioneer Sata DVDrw

Corsair 630HX psu

Noctua case fans

Razer Pro Mouse

Apple Keyboard

Dell 2407 LCD

The bios is set up with pretty much everything enabled.

HDD smart = Enabled

CPU Hyperthreading = Enabled

Limit cpu id max 3 = disabled

no execute protect = Enabled

cpu halt c1e = disabled

cpu thermal monitor = Enabled

cpu eist = disabled

virtualization tech = Enabled

sata raid/ahci = ahci

sata port 0-3 native = enabled

usb controler = Enabled

usb 2 controller = Enabled

usb kb support = Enabled

usb mouse support = Enabled

legacy usb = Enabled

azalia codec = Enabled

onboard 1394 = Enabled

onboard lan = Enabled

lan boot rom = disabled

onboard sata/ide device = Enabled

onboard sata/ide device mode = ahci

acpi suspend type = S3

soft of by pwr button = instant off

hpet support = enabled

hpet mode = 64 bit

The rest is just overclocking and standard stuff like i'm sure you have all seen before. Press control & F1 in the bios menu to get more options :)

NOTE: It seems bios F7 that came with the board wasn't too good for me, kept undoing my over-clock settings every few restarts or so, and also did not detect the cpu properly (it thought the multimplyer was 8 not 9 giving me 2.16ghz). I have now just flashed the new F11 bios which has a few new features, it shows the real voltage's rather than 'OK'. They have introduced 'loadline calibration' too which is supposed to improve the vdroop under load. Make sure when you flash that you erase the dmi data as well..!

Sleep works fine for me under F11!!!

Install notes:

1) Both hard drives are on the ICH9 as 0 & 1

2) Dvd-rw is on GSata port because the Pioneer drives seem to have this bug where they will disappear from the ICH9. From what I gather this is Pioneers fault with their drive firmware not the board or the chipset. Doesn't disappear on the GSata although it does seem slower. Also the GSata drivers in XP or Vista are appalling - The whole system will lag when you access the DVD-RW. (Gigabyte say it's not the driver but hardware - so why does it not do it under osx???)

I booted up of the Kalyway dvd and proceeded to partition one hard drive as GUID. Selected both kernels in the options and EFI v8 GUID. Then let it install. When finished I restarted and got to the Darwin boot-loader followed by the grey Apple screen. This is where I encountered the first problem - it spontaneously restarted the moment the grey Apple logo screen showed! This was solved by disabling HPET in the bios. Then I was able to boot successfully to the desktop.

Setting up Leopard:

1) I was able to enable HPET 64 bit again after I used kext helper to install dmos.kext from efi8 package.

2) I used mac.nub's nvinject package for the 8800gtx with the 768mb option. This worked first time and is shown in the system profiler and opengl extensions viewer.

3) Installed the reboot fix from irc.

4) Installed 889 audio kext

5) Installed the hard drive fix to make my drives show as internal (IOAHCIfamily.kext, IOATAfamily.kext, AppleAHCIport.kext)

6) Installed Razer Pro drivers for the mouse. (Works great)

Hardware issues:

So far so good. Sleep works fine (and instant) although you have to press the power button to resume.

System profile shows everything up correctly and it all works - firewire, usb2, the whole lot.

Audio? It works on each output port and on each input port. I tested each one bar the digital as I don't do digital yet lol.

Secondly there is some kind of issue with sharing. It will absolutely NOT see the imac downstairs on the lan. The imac cannot see me either. This is fixed by using the Realtek sourceforge driver, but as LS8 has found you have to manualy set you dhcp info in the network prefs. Not a problem for me as I just make my router assign my mac address the same IP etc every time. I can now use the printer on the iMac downstairs!

Thirdly, there *is* a shutdown issue. Reboot works every time however shutdown works I would say 9/10 times successfully. Interestingly I installed Vista64 on the other hard drive and it has failed to shut down a few times from that! Basically the shutdown sequence works fine it's just that the fans keep spinning and you have to press the power button. I have also found that shutdown will not power off the fans etc if you have slept the computer beforehand.

The 8800GTX is detected correctly with full ram. Some people have had trouble with the fan speed under osx but all is good here and its nice and fast.

Software issues:

Logmein is a utility to remote access your mac from another pc and it does not work. This is to do with the AppleSMBIOS from the efi package - some other people has posted about this on Netkas's forum.

I have Paragon NTFS installed which allows me to read/write to my Vista drive - works seamlessly too.

FCS with all the updates works fine.

Adobe CS Studio works fine with all the updates.

UPDATE 1: EFI Strings

Finally sat down and worked it out. I have attached a zip with several files. strings.zip

8800gtx.hex - String for gfx only. (Delete NVInject.kext or whatever you are using currently)

8800gtx889alc.hex - Combined string for the 8800gtx & 889a audio. (You have to keep the modded applehda.kext (included) but delete appleazalia.kext & alcinject.kext)

Lastly just rebuild the kext cache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Also I have included the original editable plists before they get converted via gfxutil to a hex string. Look at this thread to see how its done Here. In the meanwhile you can just open these hex files with text edit and copy paste.

I will admit it's not any faster that NVInject or anything but I feel happier now I've got some efi strings! :)

Looking HIGH and low for this "hard drive fix" as my internals are showing as externals... who could sleep like that?!?! Can you please point me in the right direction in regards to the fix

thank you

For the love of god, please give me a hand here: I've spend the last 72 or so hours trying to get the sound to run. I've tried every patch and kext posted across this forum and am still confronted with silence. The motherboard is the same, rev 2.1, installed Kalyway, updated to 10.5.2, installed all the different HDA patched, ALCinjext, AppleAzaliaAudio and still no luck. What am I missing, Azalia is enabled in the bios, what am I not installing? Do I need to add the device id somewhere, which one would that be?... Tell me exactly how you got your sound working and with what files.

You'd be giving me back my sleep. Thanks

Can we talk about updating to 10.5.2? Or maybe that is nothing special related to this motherboard.

Here is a list of compatible motherboards http://######.com/blog/?p=32

olmirror, after 72 hours, just buy another sound card. Find something compatible. You sure your BIOS is set up like above?

Long Time, maybe you don't need to quote the entire first post.

Would also link everyone to this post which gets you all the way to 10.5.2 on similar hardware. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your way.

But i like to ask, do you also get this

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

while startup?

It does not crash the system but delays the boot for 15 secs.

You should have this Problem also, it appears after you apply the HDfix.

You also have your firewire enabled in bios, and it appears with all installs after HDfix, so you should have it also?

EDIT: It is maybe not the firewire which causes the delay, it is somethig else i think.

I installed exactly your way plus the updates, the problem occurs with the kexts, for sure, i tested it.

i hope anyone have expirience with this

• 3 weeks later...
ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

I've been looking for the answer to this quite sometime.

My FireWire works, but takes not 10 seconds, more like 10 minutes when I hook up a disk drive to show up, and quite annoying to use. (I have a few FireWire disks.)

This is what I know:

IOFireWireFamily.kext does this wait. This must be somewhat new, as 10.4.7, 8, 9 introduced this.

It checks to see "security-mode" entry of "options" in the OpenFirmware for the value.

If there is the entry (any value) in the OF, it does not wait at all. If it is set to "none", there is no security.

If there is no entry in options, it waits 10 seconds. The default is "full-secure".

If there is a way to set the value of "/options/security-mode" to the OpenFirmware, it should go away.

So, I've been looking around how I can do this.

"security-mode" is a setting for the OpenFirmware itself, to do the password protection of the OpenFirmware, to ask password for changing the value.

I've been looking for someone/somewhere that tells me how to set the value of OpenFirmware for this thing. Is it in EFI? NVRAM?