N00B help

nate256

12 posts in this topic

Well i want to make my first site and need help so please don't get angry with me!

I have Dreamweaver and was wondering basically what i need to get going?

on 1and1.com you can get a domain name and 120 gigs of space and some other stuff for 5 dollars a month.

so with that will i be able to start messing around and learning what to do?

thanks

Dreamweaver???It sucks.. Make PHP or use iWeb =P More simply
Dude, please. Make PHP?

I agree with using iWeb as a start, though. Or any other WYSIWYG editor, so you don't have to stress yourself coding stuff.

Cheers,

hecker

I am sorry but firstly why not dreamweaver. It is a excellent tool even for newbies

Also people making their first site should not go into PHP straight away. They need to learn HTML in Basics first :)

well i am signed up for an HTML course so would the "package" from 1and1 with a program work? And i didnt know you can publish from iWeb to a real site. i thought it was only .Mac. thats cool!

screw dreamweaver its sucks hard, if you are on a mac get coda and cssedit, heck even textmate.

if you dont know how to code without a wysiwyg editor then go for something like iWeb.

you can even code html and css (well basically anything) from notepad or textedit.

thats my 2cents in webpage coding.

-D-

Ok, pretty heated feelings here about Dreamweaver.

For a beginner, yes, i Web is wonderful. If you wish to go up a step, try Rapidweaver. I happen to like Dreamweaver. (OK, I am a lazy {censored}) But still, it words good. ou can keep going up from their but all based on your experience level.

My wife wanted a simple web page. I showed her iWeb. She thought she was going to be way in over her head. NOw she loves it.

Oh, I remember the days of my first web site. Back then WYSIWYG didn't exist. Just cold hard HTML and the desire to learn.

Sure, you can start with Dreamweaver, iWeb, whatever. It'll get you results fast. If that's what you're looking for, fine.

But, if you truly want to know web design, there's nothing like cold hard code.

When I was learning, I would start simple. Look at some HTML tutorials, view the source of sites you like, and learn. If that's too much commitment, then open up Dreamweaver and start hacking away.

Ask yourself if you want to learn a program to make webpages or learn how to make webpages. And go from there.

thanks for all of the App help but what packages do i need? 1and1 has a web hosting thing with 120 gigs of storage and email stuff and the domain name so would that be okay for my first site????

thanks for all of the App help but what packages do i need? 1and1 has a web hosting thing with 120 gigs of storage and email stuff and the domain name so would that be okay for my first site????
That should be enought to start with.

1&1 is ok, but they're servers can be slow at times due to it being a shared server *sigh*, try something like ANhosting, or Midphase. They're those company that hide behind the scenes, but work really well. :)