Motherboards with EFI are coming soon...

7 posts in this topic

Wow! It's about time PC mobo mfr's made mobos with EFI instead of BIOS.

I'm curious to see how this will play out. I wonder if EFI will give the same tweaking

options as far as RAM, VCore, FSB, etc. as BIOSes do. I'll be keeping an eye on this

one. However, now that we have hacked OS X distros with EFI & vanilla kernels, not

sure if a mobo with EFI would be needed.

Thanks for the heads-up though :D

PS: I'm surprised that MSI may be first out of the gate with EFI mobos. If I'd guessed, I

would've picked ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI, or Abit. From my experience however, MSI doesn't

have the world's greatest mobos. Their quality is sporadic & their OC abilities I've found mostly

sub-standard. OC'ing is very important to me - I'd never buy a mobo that isn't very OC-able.

The answer is no.

It is not having EFI that matters, it's having an EFI that OS X knows and understands which only Apple makes for their hardware.

1) we could flash the board possibly

2) EFI is standards-based, meaning that OS X will know and understand all EFI motherboards. It is possible that there will be minor differences, but these will probably be pretty easy to overcome.

compatibility with sound, ethernet etc is a different matter.

Intel motherboards have *supported* EFI since about 2005, they're just generally shipped with BIOS firmware instead because Windows doesn't support EFI yet. I have an Intel server board with an EFI shell but it still uses a BIOS-based bootloader. Making them work with Apple's EFI bootloader would be a matter of having a custom firmware that works it.

1) we could flash the board possibly

2) EFI is standards-based, meaning that OS X will know and understand all EFI motherboards. It is possible that there will be minor differences, but these will probably be pretty easy to overcome.

compatibility with sound, ethernet etc is a different matter.

1.) Have fun frying a couple boards at min in the process of modifying your EFI with one that is not specific to your hardware.

2.) EFI is indeed standards-based, but that doesn't mean that Apple's OS is using all the standards. For instance, Apple has been steadily deviating from standard ACPI implemenations since the arrival of the Intel Mac. ACPI is based on a standard, but Leopard isn't able to grab the HPET and SpeedStep adress hooks specified in the ACPI implementations on a good deal of setups. In fact, EFI allows Apple to have even more control over what hardware can and can not be used, it's just that they haven't taken advantage of it yet.