Carbon Copy Cloner harddrive won't boot

flare389

23 posts in this topic

I wanted to upgrade to a 500 gb SATA hard drive from the 80 gb ide my copy of Leopard (brazilmac) is currently installed on. I cloned the hard drive using carbon copy cloner and when I went to boot, the cloned hard drive just stops on a blinking cursor in DOS. Leopard works just fine on the 80 gb hard drive, in fact I'm using it right now. Any ideas?

the cloned drive needs to be set to active. Thsi can be done numerous ways. Try googling it.

EDIT: For the record its not DOS. DOS is an operating system in its own right. Its simply the front end of your system telling you it ahs nothing to do.

Try GUID or EFi or FORMAT AND MAKE HARDDRIVE BOOTABLE

sticMAN

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything on google about it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. If anyone could help point me in the right direction that'd be great.

One way to set the drive active would be to get hold of Acronis Disk Director Suite and make a boot cd. You would need a Windows machine to do this. Then you just boot from the cd and can set the partition as required. You also get a boot manager which might help, but I'd stay away from that as it installs to the partition and will overwrite your Darwin bootloader or whatever.

Or in fact you can use the terminal to do it. Boot up your mac os x dvd on the machine you cant boot. Open terminal and type as follows.

diskutil list this will give you a list of drives. Make note of the leopard drive number. i will use X and Y in these instructions substitute accordingly.

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

update

f Y

w

y (dont substitute this one just type y)

q

reboot

That will make that drive the active partition.

Or in fact you can use the terminal to do it. Boot up your mac os x dvd on the machine you cant boot. Open terminal and type as follows.

diskutil list this will give you a list of drives. Make note of the leopard drive number. i will use X and Y in these instructions substitute accordingly.

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

update

f Y

w

y (dont substitute this one just type y)

q

reboot

That will make that drive the active partition.

Tried this twice and it still doesn't get past blinking cursor on system bootup.

Just to clarify what I have done. I have had a working version of Leopard running on my PC for the past month or so. I wanted to upgrade from a 80 gb IDE to a 500 gb SATA. So I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my drive. When I go to boot the cloned drive it gets stuck at a blinking cursor.

• 3 weeks later...
I have had a working version of Leopard running on my PC for the past month or so. I wanted to upgrade from a 80 gb IDE to a 500 gb SATA.

I want to do just this - well, go from an old 200GB SATA drive to a new 500GB SATA drive. How do I do it?

Hmmm...

Boot dvd and in terminal:

diskutil list

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <- if your disk number is 0

p

f 2 <- if your disk use guid = second partition has system. mbr = 1

write

yes

exit

reboot

disk out from dvd machine.

===

• 5 months later...
my experiences: sometimes you have also to reinstall efi with a proper bootloader and to set the disk active with fdisk. like here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75928

After cloning Drive with CCC reinstallation of EFI ( Chameleon or EFIv8) is MUST I have GUID Retail DVD install , I just reinstall EFI Chameleon EFI with installer .It is bootable

After cloning Drive with CCC reinstallation of EFI ( Chameleon or EFIv8) is MUST I have GUID Retail DVD install , I just reinstall EFI Chameleon EFI with installer .It is bootable

seems that "sometimes" was wrong - can´t remember after testing too many clone-tools :help:

• 1 month later...

Here are couple of notes related to solving GUID/Chameleon booting problems.

(1) These systems can have problems with drives that have multiple partitions, try reformatting your drive to a single partition (this solved my problem).

(2) As of Chameleon 1.0.11, "case-sensitive" versions of HFS+ are apparently not supported, so again try reformatting to the default HFS+ (journaled). Note, a version of boot1h for HFS+ is available for manual use is supposed to be included with Chameleon 1.0.12:

http://tinyurl.com/56xc7w

http://tinyurl.com/5tk233

(3) A special version of the "fdisk" command comes with Chameleon, try to use that one instead (especially for dual booting with Vista).

Having similar issues trying to get drive cloned with CCC bootable.

Find the instructions on EFI and Chameleon bootloader a little bit confusing as the text says that everything will be OVERWRITTEN!

Wouldn't the clone be gone then?

Also tried CopyCatX

if you have an other os x install on your machine, you could use also copycatx to clone it - works perfect without any problems
but when I try to copy to the external USB drive I get the message "Unable to unmount"

Tried to unmount in Disk Utilty which seem to unmount but CopyCatX is still "Unable to unmount"

Only way I have been able to successfully make bootable clones are by using a bootable DOS CD with Norton Ghost and the image on a FAT32 partition. However with this method the source and target partitiones have to be EXACTLY the same (same number of cylinders). So no resizing possible!

try it in terminal with

diskutil unmount diskXsY

it doesn´t matter what tool you are using - the disk has to be unmounted. later on I have to clone a disk. will try it with copycatx using usb. let´s see what my results are

EDIT: used copycatx to clone to a usb connected disk - absolutely no problem!

must be something wrong with your system.tried it on my gigabyte EP45 and my asus PW5.working on both!

• 8 months later...

Is there a simple way to pop EFI or CHameleon onto a partition which isnt booting?

I have a backup of a nice ready configured retail install that I have restored to a partition on my MBR formatted drive. I want to be able to make it bootable. I'd be laughing if I could boot the Chameleon installer but its a DMG file so needs to be mounted on a working Mac install. Chicken and egg!!!!

Ideas?

I just did this yesterday and this is what I did:

First ofcourse I copied the stuff back from my ccc usb drive to my internal Sata drive, found out it did´nt boot so I scratched my head a little and decided to boot from my 132 cd. This worked and when I had my Sata drive up running again I downloaded latest chameleon installed it then run osx86tools, done.