Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H - Leopard Compatible?

13 posts in this topic

Hi does anyone know if the

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard is compatible with leopard? I want to build a mini atx system and this board looks a good option. I am not bothered about the onboard video as I would add a 7300GT (or similar video card).

So would it work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Stu

• 3 months later...

Hi,

It is, but not completely as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, there is no sound, despite the many existing threads about this damn alc889a sound chipset...

Also I have a passive 7600 GS, perfectly working. I did not try with the 7100 GPU included.

Please let me know if you bought one and solved the sound pb.

A note on that passive 7600 GS. Add an after market cooler with a fan to it before it burns out. Lost count of how many of those have burned out on customers. The Asus one is particularly bad.

Hi,

I use it with Antec nsk-1380, the system fan is just beside the 7600 GS, and no heat pb after 1h of World in Conflict.

Before I had a 3400+ AMD with that 7600G and no system or GPU fan. No pb, but I am not a big player !

It is, but not completely as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, there is no sound, despite the many existing threads about this damn alc889a sound chipset...

Ediamant... What version did you use to get the GA-73PVM-S2H working?

Or do you know a thread where anyone goes into detail about installing it?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the GA-73VM-S2, no big differences I guess with the one mentioned.

My advice would be to install Leopard to this motherboard with both SATA Hard Drive & SATA DVD-ROM (or Recorder).

Set your configuration to AHCI (not IDE).

Also get a nVidia 9xxx series Graphics Card, because the onboard video doesn't work.

Then you're ready to install Leopard as usual.

I have Leopard 10.5.8 running very smoothly.

On the installation I had to select the following from the iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite Installation Disc:

Qoopz Kernel 9.8.0

VoodooHDA

NVInject 1.2.5 (512MB for me)

nForceEthernet

That's all needed to make this motherboard work like a charm.

Good Luck!

• 6 months later...

I've just installed iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 lite on my PC:

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

ATI Radeon HD2600XT

Pentium Dual Core E2160

installation was done to external USB HDD drive.

i've selected Qoopz kernel, VoodooHDA, ATY_init, nForceEthernet

the main problem is my LAN doesn't work. in network utility I just have IEEE1394 port and some kind of virtual port. There is no Ethernet ports at all. How can I fix it?

I have two displays connected to my computer - VGA and HDMI. By default HDMI display is primary one. How can I swap displays? And I need 1360x768 resolution for my VGA display but in display options Ii have only 1280x768. How to enable 1360x768?

Thanks a lot!

I've solved the problem with ethernet by installing driver from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569

the problem with graphics is still there. I've tried to install Natit.kext instead of ATY_init. But it seems to me that it was not loaded by the system... I'll try to reinstall iDeneb w/o ATY_init and add Natit after installation.

• 6 months later...

*Bump*

I realise this is now a pretty old board but I have one and was hoping to get Snow Leopard working on it. My own searches so far have yielded little up to date info and practically nothing relating to SL.

• Has anyone had success at installing Snow Leopard on this board or a similar nForce 630i chipset based mobo?
  • Does anyone know of a thread or site relating to Snow Leopard installs on this board I've missed (please post a link here)?
  • My system specs are in sig. below and I'm using a Retail copy of the SL DVD.

Thus far I've tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] -nVidia using the tonymacx86 Blog: [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC guide and have progressed to the end of the SL install but following an 'Unsuccessful Install' window (presumed to be EFI Bootloader error) I restarted and my machine hung repeatedly at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data'. I waited approximately 5 minutes before resetting but was only able to get the drives working again by restting the BIOS and changing SATA config from AHCI to IDE, since that restart AHCI mode won't allow booting from either HD or OD. Booted to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again (now in IDE mode) and when I tried to boot the Apple install from the Chameleon screen it kernel panicked. That's all I've attempted so far.

I am a noob in the OSX86 world but I'll happily research any tech speak I'm unfamiliar with so please don't hold back ;)

Thanks

Edit: I've found this '[Guide] nForce 630i and Snow Leopard. - InsanelyMac Forum' which looks promising so I'll work on this in the meantime but if anyone has anything new please add.