Keyboard Shortcuts, Tips and Tricks

shishnit

9 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to OSX and therefore I don't know much about it, especially commonly used keyboard shortcuts (like windows has ctrl+alt+delete, alt+f4, etc...) I'm sure a lot of other members of this forum are in a similar situation as well. I believe we could all benefit from getting to know OSX a little better. So if you know any Shortcuts, Tips or Tricks - please share them! :) Maybe even the experts will learn a thing or two new!

I know two of my own.

Holding shift while minimizing or restoring an application from/to the dock will make it go in slow motion.

Apple + Q is a shortcut for quitting out of programs

I use QuickSilver (freeware application) and create triggers to open all of my programs. I have a special formula that goes like this:

Shift + Cmd + first letter of name of program. So, for Safari, shift+cmd+S, for NewsFire, shift+cmd+N, and so on. It works because I have yet to come across conflicting letters. If I ever do, though, I thought I would just switch from shift+cmd to shift+option for the rest. Pressing the combination while the program is open will just switch to it, so that's useful also.

Pretty sure this thread has been done before.....

Think Mark

Well my search didn't turn up any results and I didn't see any current threads going on about this topic so I figured I could make one..

---

And thanks everybody for their tips so far! I never knew how to screen capture on a mac before, without using another program like snap and drag. :P I mean, theres no Prnt Scrn button on the keyboard!

theres no Prnt Scrn button on the keyboard!

That's because Print Screen has no business taking a picture of the screen and storing it in memory to be used in some arbitrary manner. I never did get why PC keyboards have keys that don't do what they say -- obviously left-overs from the "old" days, but still ...

ctrl+ scrolling your mouse-wheel zooms in and out of your screen. Great for using photoshop or other programs where you may need precision control ... or for seeing text a bit bigger if needed.

cmd+ clicking a stack will open it up in a finder window instead of expanding it.

cmd+shift+4 will let you take a snapshot of an area you select

and cmd+shift+4 then pressing spacebar will let you take a snapshot of whatever window you click on

and cmd+shift+3 will take a screenshot of the entire screen

ctrl+arrows changes spaces in the direction you press