Realtek ALC 268 WORKING

comatron

132 posts in this topic

Quick heads-up: As of 10.5.6 my ALC268 refuses to produce any sound. If anyone figures out how to resolve this issue, I'd much appreciate the info. All the working 10.5.5 methods / kext's do not appear to work. I've run into this problem with an iDeneb 10.5.5 I successfully upgraded, and with a new iPC 10.5.6 install.

Quick heads-up: As of 10.5.6 my ALC268 refuses to produce any sound. If anyone figures out how to resolve this issue, I'd much appreciate the info. All the working 10.5.5 methods / kext's do not appear to work. I've run into this problem with an iDeneb 10.5.5 I successfully upgraded, and with a new iPC 10.5.6 install.

i'm using 10.5.6 (ideneb 10.5.5 updated) and my alc268 works. i'm using the Collit/Madtux kext with no external mic.

Are you using the hdaenabler or an efi string solution? maybe hdaenabler don't work anymore on 10.5.6. I've always used the efi string approach with mine, try to remove the enabler, rebuild kextcache and make an efi string with efistudio.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm using 10.5.6 (ideneb 10.5.5 updated) and my alc268 works. i'm using the Collit/Madtux kext with no external mic.

Are you using the hdaenabler or an efi string solution? maybe hdaenabler don't work anymore on 10.5.6. I've always used the efi string approach with mine, try to remove the enabler, rebuild kextcache and make an efi string with efistudio.

Could you please explain better how can I make an EFI string in order to replace hdaenabler? My sound isn't working after 10.5.6 either... but I'm still using the enabler.

TIA,

Hey all!!

Looking for help! I have tried all alc268 kexts posted on all the forums, I have tried using the kings tutorial as well as madtux's yet i still cannot get the internal mic on my alc268 to work! I have found out through reading that the acer aspire one alc268 differs from the others. I am sure someone with more experience can figure it out. I can provide a lot of information and a lot of results to testing to someone willing to help me. Please let me know if you are that person and can help me out!!!

Thank you,

Sweetsteal

Could you please explain better how can I make an EFI string in order to replace hdaenabler? My sound isn't working after 10.5.6 either... but I'm still using the enabler.

TIA,

start EFIStudio and add an HDEF device with no parameters change. then press "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button.

If you use already an efi string for your video card you need to re-add it also

Remove the hdaenabler, rebuild kextcache and reboot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lets do a thread for this great 268 chip - the HDA thread is way to big to pick out all the 268 snippets. the guys made it possible:

TARUGA

DIEGO GIOVANNY

thank you VERY much! i hope you both guys will update this thread for all 268 masses.

check the latest full working release in the attachment. let the taruga patcher run first - then install the AppleHDA.kext (please dont ask howto install kexts).

known bugs:

- on external mic with high input you get sound out of your speakers when talking.

- some users report of background noise on choosing internal mic

champion...working for my hp dv 6505tu laptop.

sound now works fine..but the touch sound buttons doesnt work...and the sound icon on top task bar does not have any functionality.. other than that the sound is just fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sound works, and by turning down the input mic volume i get rid of white noise.

The only problem is that if I touch the volume control (its a small wheel on the side of my Toshiba) the volume goes to max, or to min. I cant stop it halfway. If I use the sound icon in the menu bar it just jumps back to min or max. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix

I have Toshiba Equium u300.

Thanks

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86248

Sound works, and by turning down the input mic volume i get rid of white noise.

The only problem is that if I touch the volume control (its a small wheel on the side of my Toshiba) the volume goes to max, or to min. I cant stop it halfway. If I use the sound icon in the menu bar it just jumps back to min or max. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix

I have Toshiba Equium u300.

Thanks

All works, but very strong noise :sorcerer:

I have the same problem, the sound finally comes, but theres no "Output controls" and I can't low the volume

If you have already a solution please tell me

I have the same problem, the sound finally comes, but theres no "Output controls" and I can't low the volume

If you have already a solution please tell me

Mushboom's solution works perfectly for me...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86248

Alternatively, just hit the space key a couple of times as you use the wheel and it seems to stop it.

Mike

I'm not sure if my HP dv9650us is an ALC 268 or not, I've looked everywhere and cannot find a model number, just "Realtek High Definition Audio". However someone earlier in this thread has the same laptop and said this worked for them, so I tried it. No good.

What I did was:

• double click that taruga patcher and it ran, then I rebooted.
  • I didn't have an Extensions folder in Library so I made one and put the AppleHDA.kext in there.
  • I don't know how to install kexts manually so I ran Universal OSc86 Installer and it said the kext installed. Then I rebooted.
  • After the reboot nothing seemed any different.

I can make sound come out if I set the output to Internal Speakers, but I have no volume control and there's no way to set an input.

Put that code where, at boot? Actually I'm using iPC and just realized that iPC has ALC268, ALC 268 (Comatron), and ALC268 (Madtux). I didn't know what model number I was using until after I installed. Do you know if I can some install those kexts now, or do I have to completely re-install?

Put that code where, at boot?

That's a terminal command, to show you a long list with files – because you said not to have an Extension folder.

Actually I'm using iPC and just realized that iPC has ALC268, ALXC 268 (Comatron), and ALC268 (Madtux). I didn't know what model number I was using until after I installed. Do you know if I can some install those kexts now, or do I have to completely re-install?

Yes, with the installer or with help of Kext Helper.

Awesome! Everything works perfectly now except that I have to manually switch from speakers to headphone. I think my biggest problem was that my laptop had no wi-fi drivers so I was downloading on my PC and carrying it by hand over to the laptop (AKA sneakernet) and something was getting messed up with that. So instead I plugged in my laptop via Ethernet and it was a LOT easier. Thanks!

Dell Vostro 1510. At lease a dozen of different kexts and enablers have already been used and here are the results:

- first the sound worked all right, but no line in, as well as no microphone (both internal and external);

- another way of solving the problem was found somewhere on the Internet, which led to enabling the external microphone (it sounded out of the speakers, irritating me awfully). Still no built-in microphone, except for the noise, reduced by putting the input level to zero. Ah, I forgot to mention the autoswitch between internal speakers and microphone (when plugged/unplagged) worked just perfect.

After this very last installation I obtained a problem with switching off my laptop. Being very upset and not willing to stuff my Vostro with more drivers, I just reinstalled the system. After that another way of fixing alc268 issues was found. Still no microphone, either internal or external, as well as line-in is not there.

Actually, I've been trying Mac for three days only, and this alc268 prevents me from having the real full-working MAC. Still hope to make it fully working.

The system is Leo4all v.3, 10.5.2 as far as I remember :)

• 2 weeks later...

All those having Dell Vostro 1510 with ALC268 - lucky ones (from now on!!!)

All the "THANKS!" and "RESPECT, DUDE!" for the working driver go to Skvo from http://applelife.ru

Yesterday I (being a happy owner of that laptop) finally got the kext that solved all(!) the problems with sound on my laptop with MacOS X 10.5.7 (iAtkos 10.5.7).

So, here are the details of my ALC268:

Device ID: 0x10280273

Also attached please find the two codec dumps made be me for my sound device (one of them is made using VoodooHDA driver, another one - using UBUNTU 8.04 LiveCD).

And, of course, AppleHDA.kext, which finally works with this ALC268!

Features:

built-in speakers - work

headphones - work (autoswitch between speakers and headphones)

built-in microphone - works

external microphone - works (autoswitch)

Install the kext using any appropriate program (in my case it was Kext Helper b7), but first make sure you don't have any other sound driver installed! No Azalia, no VoodooHDA, no ALCInjectors of any kind. Otherwise you may have some problems with getting ALC268 work fine (as well as you will get nothing in "About this Mac.." audio section).

After that you may run "Repair permissions" in Disk Utility. In my case i didn't even have to reboot the system - the devise was recorganized and ready to operate immediately.

Hope this will be helpful!

Best regards,

Rebellious

ALC268 driver for HP Pavilion 6500

All the features are the same as in the above-mentioned driver for Dell Vostro 1510. The author is also Skvo from http://applelife.ru

CodecDump_ALC268_Dell_Vostro_1510.rtf

Ubuntu_codecDump_ALC268_Vostro1510.txt

AppleHDA.kext_Dell_Vostro_1510.zip

AppleHDA.kext_HP_Pavilion_6500.zip

• Like 1