Mac capture cards

hakeem9

13 posts in this topic

I work for a web-video company that is making the move to all-mac environment. We broadcast a live daily video show to 3 different sources on the internet, each of which requires a separate feed coming into the machine. To do this we have 3 Viewcast Osprey cards in our PC.

Can anyone tell me what good equivalent capture cards are for the Mac? The Ospreys we use are the 210 and 230 models which are both in the $200-250 range. I've ordered a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card which seems to fit the bill. Ideally we'd use PCI-X cards as we have several G5 PowerMac's I'd rather use for this task than having to use PCI-e and using a new Mac Pro (or Hackintosh). I should note that using multiple external firewire devices (like Canopus DVC110, etc) does not work with the combination of software we are using.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I would like to install Blackmagic Intensity Pro card in my Hackintosh. This is the card:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

This is my configuration:

Q6600

Asus P5K-E WiFi AP

8 GB DDR2 Kingmax 800 MHz

2xGainward Geforce 7300GT 256MB 128bit@passive (Full QE/CI working)

Seagate 250GB single-platter

Apple OS X 10.5.2 Leopard (all working)

Will it work with drivers included on a CD from Blackmagic? Or I'll need to move around with kext files or some tweaking? Will it work at all? Has anyone tried? I use FinalCut Studio 2 (FCP 6.02). Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Report: Blackmagic Intensity Pro on Osx86 (Kalyway 10.5.2) and FCP 6.0.3

- Installed in Gigabyte DS3R

- Installed drivers from the CD

- Tested & working: RCA output, HDMI in

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone made a serious stress test with a Blackmagic card? I'm also considering getting one for my hack.

I keep reading everywhere that capturing and playing back HDMI absolutely requires a RAID array for smooth operation. Is that true? Does RAID and HDMI work properly under Leopard?

Much appreciated.

cheers

• 2 months later...
Has anyone made a serious stress test with a Blackmagic card? I'm also considering getting one for my hack.

I keep reading everywhere that capturing and playing back HDMI absolutely requires a RAID array for smooth operation. Is that true? Does RAID and HDMI work properly under Leopard?

Much appreciated.

cheers

Our shop got 3 blackmagic so far. one with SD only, one with analog with SDI, one with HD.  they will work. no problem. If you have vanilla kernel, it will think you got the real mac and it will run mac drivers just fine.  they are great pieces of hardware.

I would like to install Blackmagic Intensity Pro card in my Hackintosh. This is the card:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

This is my configuration:

Q6600

Asus P5K-E WiFi AP

8 GB DDR2 Kingmax 800 MHz

2xGainward Geforce 7300GT 256MB 128bit@passive (Full QE/CI working)

Seagate 250GB single-platter

Apple OS X 10.5.2 Leopard (all working)

Will it work with drivers included on a CD from Blackmagic? Or I'll need to move around with kext files or some tweaking? Will it work at all? Has anyone tried? I use FinalCut Studio 2 (FCP 6.02). Thanks :P

Just wanted to inform people that this works without a glitch :) Just like on real Mac, so I hope this helps someone with similar question :)

• 1 year later...

Just got this card this morning, installed and am getting nothing. :(

Going to boot into Windows and see if it works there, but does it show up for you guys in the PCI Cards part of System Profiler for you? Final Cut Pro sees nothing, the Blackmagic Media Express software doesn't see it either. Latest software installed from the Blackmagic website as well.

Installed into the lower PCI Express x4 slot on my GA-H55-UD2H motherboard. Is this maybe not supported by OS X? Using the vanilla kernel, 10.6.3, other specs all below.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks y'all.

EDIT: Figured it out... nowhere did I see to go to System Preferences to change the input to Component, and also I had to sync my U-verse DVR and the video format in Media Express to the appropriate resolution.

• 7 months later...

The HDMI works with this card but only 1080i 50, I´ve had it in two hacks, got a Panasonic HDC-SD10 cam hooked up to it and cast HQ on JTV, Livestream, Blogtv etc etc.

At least FCP2 sees it, that´s all have on my hack so I don´t know with later versions. FC express can´t see these kind of cards.

• 2 years later...

I'm experiencing the same issue, Current drivers, Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Intensity Pro which works in a real mac pro. OSX is picking up the audio I/O components but the blackmagic tools say no card, same as FCP X.