Dell Inspiron 6000, sound and ati x300

AMWN

47 posts in this topic

Hi,

Installed my own patched version, because the Jas patch gave me a reboot screen after the installation. Patch my version with the following patches of maxxus:

MAXXUSS CPUID Patch 8F1111A

MAXXUSS SSE3-Emulator v4.2b-8F1111A

MAXXUSS Anti-TPM Patch v1

Bootloader Patch (skips SSE3 check)

After done some patching to get my USB working, and make my PS/2 laptop keyboard working, I need to get my sound working and my ATI x300 (mobility) reconised. Also I need to set a resolution of 1200 x 800.

My laptop:"

Celeron M 1,4 ghz

512 MB

Ati x300 (not working yet)

Audio: SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97 (working)

Did alot of reading and searching, but could find the right answer yet!

Hope anyone of you can help me out!

Graphics, won't work with either 10.4.4 kexts or earlier.

Audio, just install macgirl's, or someone else's, AC97 audio kext, also, it might not work unless you remove the TPM and the FPMem kexts, IIIRC.

tnx... sound works.... why doesnt the x300 works? it should be suported I thought?

how can I change my resolution to 1280 x 800?

tried it with com.apple.boot.plist, but no succes.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>1280x800x32@60</string>

that's right isn't it?

Widescreen resolutions ain't supported by VESA. There is no way (currently) to get accelerated graphics, or widescreen, with X300.

I have an ATI x300 and it works just fine. Simply insert the appropriate vendors codes in the correct .kext and you'll have a very inexpensive card that does QE & CI without a problem...

I have an ATI x300 and it works just fine. Simply insert the appropriate vendors codes in the correct .kext and you'll have a very inexpensive card that does QE & CI withour a porblem...

Oups, sorry. I was talking about the mobile one.

I have an ATI x300 and it works just fine. Simply insert the appropriate vendors codes in the correct .kext and you'll have a very inexpensive card that does QE & CI without a problem...

Can you exactly explain how you did it? I'v tried also a few things with vendors and stuff, but don't know if I did it right... Could you explain in a few steps how you did it?

• 3 weeks later...
Can you exactly explain how you did it? I'v tried also a few things with vendors and stuff, but don't know if I did it right... Could you explain in a few steps how you did it?

So far the x300 mobile for the inspiron 6000 doesn't work with the current ATI drivers in 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 I don't see much luck of it either. It will boot up but gets stuck at the blue screen and won't load the login window.

WARNING THIS DOES NOT WORK I'M JUST TELLING YOU HOW TO FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF THAT IT DOESN'T WORK DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU HOSE YOUR SYSTEM.

For anyone else telling you to edit the kexts. If you want to try they are in /System/Library/Extensions the one that uou are looking for is the ATIRadeon9700.kext inside that there is a Folder called contents and inside that there is a file called Info.plist there is a section inside that file that has a list of device ids you can identify them by 0x"Deviceid"1002 deviceid= something like 5460 which is what it is for the 128mb x300 in the inspiron. You can find it in the system profiler under "Graphics/Displays". Add your device id to that list of ids and save. Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and reboot.. but you know what? it won't post all the way.

By the way if it doesn't boot turn off the computer press F8 and at the bootload type -x this will load in safemode so you can unscrew your screwup

SOMETHING THAT DOES WORK.

To get your trackpad to work with tapping delete the Appletrackpad kext inside the ApplePs2 whatever kext. Reboot Surprise Surprise you can tap instead of clicking :D:guitar::)

Hopefully someone will tinker with the ATI stuff enough and figure it out.. theres lots of people with inspiron 6000s :D

yay an inspiron 6000 thread..

jb_gmd; thanks for clarifying about the x300 NOT working, there are apparently different versions of the card, some that work, some that don't, but definatelly for the x300 - id: 5460 in the inspiron it won't.

has anyone with the inspiron 6000 installed 10.4.4 yet?

If you have, please let me know how you:

1. pre-patched the DVD (did you need a DL DVD ??), and the md5 sum of the image!

2. installation preparation, did you use linux or other tools to fix "AF" apple partititons? or anything else?

(did you install over 10.4.3?)

3. install method (VM Ware / Native) and if VM what settings. Dual / Singleboot etc

4. post-patched the system

Regarding the x300. Is it possible to take the x300 gfx card out? can it be replaced with something more compatible with OSX? Or is there a possibility that a little 64mb Intel GMA900 card is built-in on the motherboard? Would be sweet, although i highly doubt it.

:D

cheers!

yay an inspiron 6000 thread..

jb_gmd; thanks for clarifying about the x300 NOT working, there are apparently different versions of the card, some that work, some that don't, but definatelly for the x300 - id: 5460 in the inspiron it won't.

has anyone with the inspiron 6000 installed 10.4.4 yet?

If you have, please let me know how you:

1. pre-patched the DVD (did you need a DL DVD ??), and the md5 sum of the image!

2. installation preparation, did you use linux or other tools to fix "AF" apple partititons? or anything else?

(did you install over 10.4.3?)

3. install method (VM Ware / Native) and if VM what settings. Dual / Singleboot etc

4. post-patched the system

Regarding the x300. Is it possible to take the x300 gfx card out? can it be replaced with something more compatible with OSX? Or is there a possibility that a little 64mb Intel GMA900 card is built-in on the motherboard? Would be sweet, although i highly doubt it.

:dev:

cheers!

I've installed 10.4.4 on an external usb hd following maxxuss's instructions. After installing on the usb drive I set the bios to boot from the usb hd and it seemed to work fine. So far with a base install of 10.4.4 networking didn't work and sound was a little choppy so I copied over the kexts from 10.4.3. Regarding the video card I don't think there is a replacement out yet. I just hope that when the new model of inspiron 6000 comes out that the form factor is the same and we can somehow use new card. Probably an ati 1600 or something like that. Allthough as a side note for 10.4.4 I haven't been able to get windows networking to work and for some reason ssl protected webpages won't load. Anyone have any ideas of why?

jb_gmd:

good news that it works, but how did you partition the external drive? I also have one to play with.

maybe you can sum up the preparation, native or not/ DL-DVD or Daemon Tools, and which patches you applied to image; aswell as which files you extracted from 4.3 to patch it.

=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=

Isn't the gfx slot in the INSP6K following some type of mobility gfx card standard? and can't it easily be swapped with the old GMA900.

I am still intrested if it can be taken out and the GMA900 maybe hiding built in on the motherboard.. ?? Has anyone even thought / tried this?

If someone can post a link to instructions on how to remove the gfx card i wont mind giving it a try.. i think f1r3f1ght3r tried this with another card.. but i don't know how it went.

Further if anyone has managed to get this baby (10.4.4) dualbooting with xp (on internal SATA hd); please don't be shy to share experiences.. this is the only reason why i haven't bought a MacBook yet..

anyway;

:whistle:

cheers!

i asked dell if it is possible to disable the x300. still waiting for an answer.....

all dell notebooks i dissassambled so far (inspiron 8000, c600, c840) had the gfx card pluggend into the motherboard, so i think the x300 could be easily removed, but the questions are if the built in graphic is 1. connected properly and available and 2. automatically enabled when no other gfx card is found.

could somebody please try this ? ;-) ... i would, but it is my company's notebook - they wouldnt be very amused if i ruin it ;-)

i asked dell if it is possible to disable the x300. still waiting for an answer.....

all dell notebooks i dissassambled so far (inspiron 8000, c600, c840) had the gfx card pluggend into the motherboard, so i think the x300 could be easily removed, but the questions are if the built in graphic is 1. connected properly and available and 2. automatically enabled when no other gfx card is found.

could somebody please try this ? ;-) ... i would, but it is my company's notebook - they wouldnt be very amused if i ruin it ;-)

I own a dell inspiron 6000 laptop (ati x300 128mb)

Several months ago, before i knew all these news about macosx x86, i was searching for a way of removing x300 card and work with the integrated card (dont ask me why... hehe)

So i researched, read about this model and found that model inspiron6000D (with Dedicated graphics) uses motherboard intel 915PM.

And?

915PM mobo DOESNT HAVE integrated graphics. It cames from intel just equipped with 1 pci-e slot, so that mobo is intented for use just with a dedicated graphic card.

Dell uses 915PM in their inspiron6000D models, and 915GM in their models with integrated graphics (intel gma900) (915GM also has a pci-e slot... :dev: )

Thats what i found several months ago... so if you (like me) have an inspiron 6000D laptop, you cannot remove it from it. (also: there's no way of upgrading your graphics card... if youre thinking about buying a x600 or something like that).

That the sad reality :D

I hope helped you.

(Excuse for my English :P)

Well I was able to get my x300 up to 1600x1200. But, I have the crazy ass screen that can do 1900x1200. I am sure there is a way to hack the ATI driver to get it to work on our cards. Its probably some little thing that is causing it to f*** up.

hmm, my inspiron 6000 has a wide screen with a max resolution of 1280x800 which is not supported by vesa 2.0.

anything above 1024x768 will cause the x300 (in vesa mode) to raise the refresh rate to 86Hz, which is just too much for most TFTs - so i cant even use it with an external monitor (with more than 1024x768). :-(

I have a Dell 6000 with x300 graphics (128mb). Got the res upto 1280 x 1024 which is better than the default

Edit the com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050×32@60"</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<Key>Graphics Mode</Key>

<String>1680x1050x32@60</String>

</dict>

</plist>

Should work fine.

I installed 10.4.4 on my i6000d, a HOTiSO version i got off a torrent.

This is the first time im messing with the OS X x86, so bare with me as I don't know any of the details on how to hack things in it.

Things that work:

Sound

Bluetooth

Firewire (Was using it to share internet from my PC's internet connection sharing)

DVD Burner

Things that don't work

X300 resolution stuck at 1024x768

Ethernet does not work (Broadcom 440 chipset)

Wireless does not work (Tried both the Intel 2200BG & 2915ABG)

It boots up extremely quick, and this is on some old 4200rpm drive i pulled out of an old thinkpad to install this on.

Oh, for the curious, I installed the newly released 10.4.5 update from Apple for kicks, it installs and finishes, but upon reboot it results in a fat kernel panic and nothing more, so don't try it. I guess we'll have to wait for a hacked one.