Revolutionary Car that runs on...Compressed Air?

FreakyMac

8 posts in this topic

Sure, and when frogs grow wings they wont land so hard on their butts when they jump.

Sorry, just finished watching Alex Jone's "Endgame" and I'm all conspiricy right now. ;)

No, but seriously. Unless the US finds another way to suck the wealth from the rest of the world, alternative fueled vehicles will remain a dream.

That's cool. I wonder how it compares to an electric car in energy efficiency. So, can the engine also be used to drive an alternator for your radio, etc? Either way, hook up an air compressor to a solar panel, and you basically have free fuel from home. ;)

I'm sure this one has been on this forum before.. The air-powered car first surfaced as a patent by a Frenchman who set up to manufacture them in Brazil for use as taxis, iirc. This came to nothing, and before long the website, zeropollution.com disappeared too.. Then it turned up in the media again briefly about 2 years ago when the idea was revived, with a possible hybrid variant burning fuel in the main chamber of the engine as an extra power boost.

The principle is based on the starting system used in formula 1 racing to start the engines, whereby compressed air is blown into the cylinders to get it going.

The enabling technology is a high-pressure tank system which allows a sufficient amount of air for useful travel to be carried in a car-sized vehicle.