Cheapest Mac for FCP?

nate256

5 posts in this topic

i have a Hockintosh and its middle name isn't speed to say the least. i am big into the HDV video editing on FCS and it is a nightmare on my Hackintosh. I was looking on the net at used G5's and the New Intel Mac Pros so can any one give some advice on which might be a better buy and what features should the computer include to run FCP.

I also read something that the processing power between the G5 and the New Mac Pros is big, the new intel are much fast (which would make sence cause they are newer) then the powerPC.

So im looking for the cheapest Mac to run FCS and CS3 very well on. how much memory would be a good starting point. I have been wondering can you upgrade the memory in Macs your self too? and can you add harddrives? i wasn't 100% sure so i just want to ask.

i have a Hockintosh and its middle name isn't speed to say the least. i am big into the HDV video editing on FCS and it is a nightmare on my Hackintosh. I was looking on the net at used G5's and the New Intel Mac Pros so can any one give some advice on which might be a better buy and what features should the computer include to run FCP.

I also read something that the processing power between the G5 and the New Mac Pros is big, the new intel are much fast (which would make sence cause they are newer) then the powerPC.

So im looking for the cheapest Mac to run FCS and CS3 very well on. how much memory would be a good starting point. I have been wondering can you upgrade the memory in Macs your self too? and can you add harddrives? i wasn't 100% sure so i just want to ask.

Adding HDD - yes for sure

Adding RAM - also but supported types and vendors

PPC have altivec - its good for video and graphics

X86 had others... but there are sites with video oriented benchmarks.

What exactly are you looking for though, and what are your priorities? If you don't mind not being able to upgrade the HDD, then you should look at an Intel iMac. Do you have a budget, or anything specific in mind? The "cheapest" mac could take on many definitions...

most importantly, what are the specs of your current machine? It may be that what you have now is already faster than a G5!

-Urbz

• 2 weeks later...

I saw RAID 0 and 1 solutions for G5 so I think it wont be a problem if you buy an old Power Mac and still want to have extra RAID speed drive. There are PCI RAID cards on the market for SATA disk drives capable of delivering over 250mb/s.

I think the FCP 5.0.2 was the first version to be Intel optimized. I work with FCP2 on Power G5 with 2x 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM and ATI video card with 256MB and I unfortunately can't say it's really that fast :) According to Geekbench my personal MacBook with Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor is performing faster in overal.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/12502

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/12463

Find an old PowerMac G5 or a Powerbook G4. It will do you a world of good. PPC x64 is a hell lot better for development and editing. I can call the new macs "pussies"! Ok, with big graphics cards...