How's this computer?

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm going to buy a computer off www.cyberpowersystem.com, the system is the "Gamer Infinity 8000 Dream". Whats under the hood:

CASE : Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Case w/Silver Face)

CPU : (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 640 CPU w/HT Technology 3.2GHZ 800FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit

MOTHERBOARD : (DDR1 OR DDR2)GigaByte GA-8I915P Duo I915P Chipset LGA775 16X PCI-E SATA W/ GbLAN, USB2.0, & 7.1 Audio

MEMORY : 1GB (2x512MB) PC4200 DDR2 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select)

VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

HARD DRIVE : 80GB Hard Drive (80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA 100 Hard Drive)

Optical Drive : COMBO DRIVE (16X DVD-ROM & 52x32x52 CD-RW) (BEIGE COLOR)

SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Price: $1336.00

Is that a good deal? Any upgrades I should consider?

If you say the graphics card isn't good, wt* are you thinking?

Hopefully, this'll rip Battlefield 2 to shreads. Quake 4 will run with full settings.

Mac OS X wont lag.

I know, Quartz Extreme probably wont work (did I spell that correctly?)

For the Hard drive, 80GB is small, so I'm going to buy a USB 20GB HD to install Mac OS X on.

What guide should I use?

And, I already have the Mac OS x86 file on my old PC, how can I transfer that file w/out burning a DVD (No DVD burner), will connecting an Ethernet port between both the 10/100 MOBO ports work?

Thanks.

Edited by nylock10

nice... as for bf2 i recommend 1.5 gigs ram.. 1 isnt enough for me..1.5 with 512 of my bros ram is smoooth.... i like 7800s (have a 6800gt myself, ignore previous poster :))

MrPink was 100% right, Nvidia cards are NOT supported in OSX86. They work in VESA (no CI, no QE, no Opengl) and you will not be able to watch fullscreen videos.

At this time only some ATI cards (not all) and the intel i900 GMA (maybe also the newer intel) are supported. Take a look to the HCL wiki and ignore the nonsens from orph3us :)

true, get a X1800 XT card that should support OSX just fine plus it will definetly provide enough graphic power to play BF2...

OT: BF2 runs perfectly on my sys in 1024x768 full detail...

MrPink was 100% right, Nvidia cards are NOT supported in OSX86. They work in VESA (no CI, no QE, no Opengl) and you will not be able to watch fullscreen videos.

At this time only some ATI cards (not all) and the intel i900 GMA (maybe also the newer intel) are supported. Take a look to the HCL wiki and ignore the nonsens from orph3us :(

some ati cards work, but not 100% as you mentioned.. And with the recent announcement from macvidia on 2d driver acceleration support, there is promise in the nvidia osx driver department. anyway, i speak more in general for the support for games. I still recommend the nvidia cards over the newest ati cards.

I like the fact that we have someone other than apple working on the nvidia driver, meaning that we might get support for a wider array of cards than an official release from apple that might be limited by roms and only be available for the newest hardware, which might very well not include the 7800 or below once these official drivers become available. The same thing is happening now with the ati drivers that have been released from apple. If the macvidia drivers make some significant progress in 3d acceleration, that to me would seem the best way to go. Hopefully apple releases drivers for more cards or maybe even direct releases for driver updates from ati and nvidia will come out ala their windows flavors. i stand by my words!

some ati cards work, but not 100% as you mentioned.. And with the recent announcement from macvidia on 2d driver acceleration support, there is promise in the nvidia osx driver department. anyway, i speak more in general for the support for games. I still recommend the nvidia cards over the newest ati cards.

I like the fact that we have someone other than apple working on the nvidia driver, meaning that we might get support for a wider array of cards than an official release from apple that might be limited by roms and only be available for the newest hardware, which might very well not include the 7800 or below once these official drivers become available. The same thing is happening now with the ati drivers that have been released from apple. If the macvidia drivers make some significant progress in 3d acceleration, that to me would seem the best way to go. Hopefully apple releases drivers for more cards or maybe even direct releases for driver updates from ati and nvidia will come out ala their windows flavors. i stand by my words!

If it's not for OSX86 I also recommend Nvidia because they have driver for Solaris and BSD.

For OSX86 I think the best is a i900GMA, but it's too slow for gaming.

Not easy to find the right card if you have a multiboot with few different OS and you are a gamer :(

P.S: maybe it's possible to have booth: a onboard i900GMA for OSX86 and a PCIe gamer card for XP, but I don't know if this combination works.

If it's not for OSX86 I also recommend Nvidia because they have driver for Solaris and BSD.

For OSX86 I think the best is a i900GMA, but it's too slow for gaming.

Not easy to find the right card if you have a multiboot with few different OS and you are a gamer :star_smile:

P.S: maybe it's possible to have booth: a onboard i900GMA for OSX86 and a PCIe gamer card for XP, but I don't know if this combination works.

I'm not sure if that'll work, too.

I want to stick with nVidia. They've been great.

The drivers are awesome and they are easy to overclock. And since there might be more nVidia drivers, I'll just stick with the system one my first post on this thread, I'll just check what the price is with one more GB of RAM. Will that be okay? I wont have to upgrade for a while. And a 3.2GHz is okay, I think.

I think I'll upgrade the CPU to 3.4GHz and hold off with the extra RAM for now, I can shut down background processes, plus I wont be doing video/picture editing.

The speakers are Cintre RW-6510, 5.1 setup (can you hear me now?!)

And it also has an extra 500W Power Supply (The GF7800GTX 512MB needs 450W or more to work correctly).

I'll get a regular Mouse and Keyboard, I have a wireless mouse and keyboard set I can use, too.

That bumbs the price up to $1426.00

I think I'll upgrade the CPU to 3.4GHz and hold off with the extra RAM for now, I can shut down background processes, plus I wont be doing video/picture editing.

If you want to do this in OSX86 and not in XP you really need a fully supported card. In VESA mode watching a movie in fullscreen is stuttering.

Well, I'm not going to do picture/movie editing at all.

I'm going to duel-boot Mac OS X and Windows XP because I want GarageBand.

I'll probably just borrow iLife '06 once my friend gets it, install it on this new computer.

Will sound work with this mobo I have? Hopefully everything will work with GarageBand, I'm not going to need any graphics stuff to work besides the Maxxuss patches (so when I close a menu it doesn't glich).

It would be nice, though.

If I buy an nVidia card, is there anyway somebody can port the nVidia.kext that works with GF7800GTXs on their PPC Mac and run it with OSx86?

I don't want an ATI card.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hey,

I'm going to buy a computer off www.cyberpowersystem.com, the system is the "Gamer Infinity 8000 Dream". Whats under the hood:

CASE : Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Case w/Silver Face)

CPU : (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 640 CPU w/HT Technology 3.2GHZ 800FSB 2MB Cache, 64 Bit

MOTHERBOARD : (DDR1 OR DDR2)GigaByte GA-8I915P Duo I915P Chipset LGA775 16X PCI-E SATA W/ GbLAN, USB2.0, & 7.1 Audio

VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Price: $1336.00

A great system with a crappy cpu, get a decent cpu to support that 7800 GTX , a 3800+ X2 would be good, something faster if you have the money

I was thinking about that CPU.

Does that support Mac OS X correctly?

So, I'll just buy this:

CASE : plorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Case w/Silver Face)

CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio

MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)

VIDEO CARD : NEW! NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Price: $1544.00

If I mess with it a bit the price will drop a bit.

Here's the deal why I changed the MOBO, it was in the "Working Motherboards" section of the HCL: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ng_Motherboards

What's wrong with that CPU? Upgrading makes the price go up and that means a long time to wait for a new computer :lol:

I was thinking about that CPU.

Does that support Mac OS X correctly?

So, I'll just buy this:

CASE : plorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Case w/Silver Face)

CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio

MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)

VIDEO CARD : NEW! NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Price: $1544.00

If I mess with it a bit the price will drop a bit.

Here's the deal why I changed the MOBO, it was in the "Working Motherboards" section of the HCL: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ng_Motherboards

What's wrong with that CPU? Upgrading makes the price go up and that means a long time to wait for a new computer :lol:

well it depends , for osx it would be more compatible the other combo, but that great gfx card would be wasted in osx. If your scope is to run osx only you'll save alot of money buying some cheap ati card and the p4 will be more than enough.

Everything depends on what you want to do and run on your system, if you enjoy running games in windows the p4 will limit the videocard and would be definitively the wrong choice for that videocard

If I got the config with the AMD 3800+ X2, will GarageBand work?

What I'm planning to do is borrow my friend's copy of iLife '04, or if he gets '06, that'd be better.

In Windows XP I'm just going to to gaming, in Mac OS X, I'll use iTunes, iChat, Safari and Garageband.

If there is a new NVidia Kext I'll get that.

And will an AMD work with Profit42's method of installing (that worked for me last time except I messed it up by deleting things).

But, when I do the 'DD' thing, am I supposed to change "if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\PartitionX bs=512 skip=63", to "if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\PartitionX bs=512 skip=1"?

I heard, if I'm correct, that changing the "skip=63" to "skip=1", I wont get an "Error Loading Operating System" message while trying to start my computer (normally the Error Loading Operating System message would be the duel-boot screen).

How about this:

CASE: Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Silver Case w/Silver Face)

CPU : (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® 4 640 CPU @ 3.2GHz 800FSB 2MB Cache 64-Bit w/ HT

MOTHERBOARD : Asus P5GD2-X I915P Chipset Sckt775 DDR2/533/600 SATA PCI-E w/7.1Audio,GbLAN,&USB2

VIDEO CARD : NEW!!! ATI Radeon X1900XT X16 PCI-E 512MB VIDEO CARD

Price: $1227.00

The CPU isn't the greatest, same with the MOBO. I can always upgrade but I don't think I will.

It will be fine for me. Running the deadmoo image (10.4.1), will iLife '06 work?

And if I pop in an external USB HD, will Mac OS X access it so I can install stuff on it? Thanks.