Asus Laptop Owners

glitchbit

47 posts in this topic

I can confirm that iATKOS does not work on the Asus G2S-A1 laptops which have jmicron SATA controllers. iATKOS fails early and quickly.

Kalyway loads a lot and takes a few minutes in verbose mode (-v) however it crashes on the same thing actually. ACPI however the error is not exactly the same and can be defeated however you lose dual cores. cpus=1 will disable one core like many have stated here however cpus=1 does not work on the iATKOS build, it still fails for even when a core is disabled.

I am currently installing Kalyway on my G2S-A1 and I will let you know of my success and please if you own an ASUS laptop please post your findings. Hopefully we all have similar hardware and can help each other in a more concentrated manner.

Here are my specs

Chipset Type: Mobile Intel PM965 Express

Processor: Core 2 Duo T7500

Graphics: nvidia 8600m GT

RAM: 2.5gb

SATA controller jmicron JMB36X

I had 3gb of ram installed originally however due to the BIOS this can cause address conflicts in XP and Ubuntu as well as other Linux distros I assume. So it is safest to not have 3gb of ram or more on ASUS laptops imo. Otherwise OSX may refuse to work all together or simply not recognize your video adapter properly. I will go back up to 3gb just to test it out though once it installs.

I am hoping that some Asus laptop owner out there has some specs that are roughly the same but have found a way to fix the ACPI issue without disabling a core (other nonASUS owners also would like to know, but it does seem this issue has been with us for over a year with Tiger). I would love to stay in OSX while using parallels to run XP. I bought this laptop for 2 reason... 1 my old laptop was stolen... 2 This laptops screen blows away the LCD screens on all the MacBooks, yes even Pro 1920x1200!

*EDIT*

I have not had success yet.. I just got a b0 error which relates to the partition not being set to active.. normally, but it is set to active however I will still go through the steps through the terminal to ensure that it is, even though acronis has allowed me to set Apple partition to Active in the past just fine.

The Acer Aspire 5920G has the same chipset... maybe it has different/better BIOS that does not conflict with the ACPI functions, so you were able to install with both cores, huh?

Also Triple, did you format with a GUID partition or MBR? I have my hard drive partitioned into 3 sections 1st XP NTFS, 2nd Macintosh (FAT32, until disk util converted it) then 3rd DATA NTFS.

I selected the PC_EFI GUID option in customize (actually it was already selected) I noticed I could have selected MBR, so I wonder now if this is what I did wrong and why I got b0 error. I followed someones instructions here to activate my Macintosh partition using fdisk... I ended up writing a new MBR thus wiping out my XP MBR and now I have to restore it so I can get back into XP...

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just installed 10.5 on an R1F, but so far it doesn't work. It boots fine at first but hangs as soon as I see a blue desktop background. No login, no mouse pointer nothing.

I guess it's not that easy ;) I'll repost if I get any further.

Hello,

So far i have been unable to successfully install Leopard on my ASUS U1F :unsure:

First i tried iatkos v.1.0i and could get to the installation part, but then after installing and rebooting, the partition would not boot (after being set active and boot in gparted).

Then i tried kalyway, which doesn't even get to the installation part, instead it tries to boot from the DVD and at the end it just gives a garbled screen.

see the crappy picture taken with the cellphone:

imagen071om5.th.jpg

The disk is partitioned as follows:

1 recovery partition Vista business

1 empty partition

1 ext3 & 1 linux swap partition (currently ubuntu linux mint is on it and I'd like to keep it).

Any ideas? Anyone had success with this laptop?

post-174820-1200672635_thumb.jpg

Hallo everyone, this is my second experience on hackintosh

(and just i was a mac user in '80, my first computer)

I've bought an ACER Aspire 5920g

I've installed a iAtkos 1.0ir2 patching with ppf file and works excellent for me

this is my specs hardware:

(Tri-Boot XP, Kubuntu 7.1. and Osx)

ACER ASPIRE 5920g Gemstone

Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 GHz

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo

Enhanced SpeedStep Technology

2048MB DDR2 RAM

Geforce 8600M GT 256 MB chipset family <-Working

Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA

HD Audio Realtek chipset ALC888 <- with Azalia driver i got only stereo out with internal speaker but no mic-in

<- with AppleHDA 2.0 i got headphone and mic in work BUT NO internal speaker out :(

Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Broadcom <- Not Working

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 a/b/g 54Mbps Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11a/b/g <- Not Working

Onboard LCD: 15"4 CrystalBrite 1280x800 <- Working

Webcam Crystal Eye <- Working with mercury msn and ichat

Second Monitor: 20" LCD Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW <- Dual view and Mirroring Working (read below the fix)

Apple Software Update <- Working

QE/CI <- Working on both display

Alternative network device: still using a sitecom external usb wifi card that work with 10.4.x driver on my 10.5.1

This is the trick for have a VGA out WORKING on my mac box:

- download and install PlistEditPro from here

- then with PlistEditPro modify the Info.plist in NVinject.kext (the value to edit is in IOKitPersonalities -> NVinject -> entriesToAdd -> NVCAP) changing the NVCAP value with this value of a 15" MacBook Pro 8600M GT 256Mb:

040101010e0001000e0000000000010b00000000

- save, repair permission and reboot with -v -f options

:) and the second display this time finally work (before i got both two blank screen when i was trying to detect external display)

Don't edit Info.plist with a text editor or vi, doesn't work because the nvcap value isn't in clear text and you need a program like plistedit or with xcode tools from apple!

---

Now i need to fix audio because i need to use both mic and onboard display, anyone can help me?

i've ICH8 with ALC888 on board, with Azalia driver i got only stereo with internal speaker but no mic-in and with AppleHDA 2.0 i got headphone and mic in work BUT NO internal speaker :(

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10250121&REV_1001\4&1FC02E00&0&0001

i've attached to this post my core_dump.txt (on my kubuntu on codec#0)

please help me! :D

core_dump0.txt

Hi ! I have an Asus F5V , I just tried to install iaktos and it is realy bizarre, when I boot on the DvD I see an half second the white screen with the grey apple and then it is rebooting, do someone know why ? And can it be fixed ? Or else what îs the version I could take to have my SATA detect ?

I've installed a iAtkos 1.0ir2 patching with ppf file and works excellent for me

Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 GHz

2048MB DDR2 RAM

HD Audio Realtek chipset ALC888 <- with Azalia driver i got only stereo out with internal speaker but no mic-in

<- with AppleHDA 2.0 i got headphone and mic in work BUT NO internal speaker out :(

Second Monitor: 20" LCD Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW <- Dual view and Mirroring Working (read below the fix)

Alternative network device: still using a sitecom external usb wifi card that work with 10.4.x driver on my 10.5.1

- then with PlistEditPro modify the Info.plist in NVinject.kext (the value to edit is in IOKitPersonalities -> NVinject -> entriesToAdd -> NVCAP) changing the NVCAP value with this value of a 15" MacBook Pro 8600M GT 256Mb:

:) and the second display this time finally work (before i got both two blank screen when i was trying to detect external display)

Don't edit Info.plist with a text editor or vi, doesn't work because the nvcap value isn't in clear text and you need a program like plistedit or with xcode tools from apple!

---

Now i need to fix audio because i need to use both mic and onboard display, anyone can help me?

i've ICH8 with ALC888 on board, with Azalia driver i got only stereo with internal speaker but no mic-in and with AppleHDA 2.0 i got headphone and mic in work BUT NO internal speaker :(

please help me! :D

Ho il tuo stesso portatile, ma non capisco come hai fatto a usare iChat

"Webcam Crystal Eye <- Working with mercury msn and ichat"

a me con iChat si vede solo verde o nero

• 2 weeks later...

Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 GHz

2048MB DDR2 RAM

<- with AppleHDA 2.0 i got headphone and mic in work BUT NO internal speaker out :)

---

please help me! :unsure:

Quite an accomplishment! Not many have had success installing on a PM965 chipset, this includes my laptop. Of course I could still havea BIOS version that prevents things from detecting properly, an inherent problem with this chipset, but it is good to see someone with some success.

Did you get both cores working on the pm965 of yours or just one?

I have a new hard drive coming in today and I will test this out personally but here is the new BIOS update for Asus G2S-A1.

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G2S/G2S300AS.zip

BIOS 300

-Support Penryn CPU

-Fix the issue that the Penryn CPU frequency are different between Processor Type and Processor Speedy in BIOS setup menu.

-Fix system hangs when hot unplug usb thumb disk in POST (Post code 0x78).

Unlisted Fixes

- Address conflicts with RAM >2gb and graphics card resolved!!! (This update should also resolve issues with Linux distros)

- SATA Compatibility mode (IDE mode basically, since 212)

If you have an asus laptop and OSX installs then great! If it does not then you may need to update your BIOS.

Update procedure is real easy for some Asus Laptop such as the G2S. Just place the file on a USB pen/jump/drive and boot up and hit F2 and go to Easy Flash in the BIOS and then hit Enter on the A: drive and it should show the file. You can downgrade your BIOS if you need to. Other Asus laptops may require more involved steps and there are help threads over in Asus's official forum which specify how to update the bios through a dos application. Your other choice is to use the risky bios update software that comes with XP or Vista which might not let you downgrade BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...
I can confirm that iATKOS does not work on the Asus G2S-A1 laptops which have jmicron SATA controllers. iATKOS fails early and quickly.

Kalyway loads a lot and takes a few minutes in verbose mode (-v) however it crashes on the same thing actually. ACPI however the error is not exactly the same and can be defeated however you lose dual cores. cpus=1 will disable one core like many have stated here however cpus=1 does not work on the iATKOS build, it still fails for even when a core is disabled.

I am currently installing Kalyway on my G2S-A1 and I will let you know of my success and please if you own an ASUS laptop please post your findings. Hopefully we all have similar hardware and can help each other in a more concentrated manner.

Here are my specs

Chipset Type: Mobile Intel PM965 Express

Processor: Core 2 Duo T7500

Graphics: nvidia 8600m GT

RAM: 2.5gb

SATA controller jmicron JMB36X

I had 3gb of ram installed originally however due to the BIOS this can cause address conflicts in XP and Ubuntu as well as other Linux distros I assume. So it is safest to not have 3gb of ram or more on ASUS laptops imo. Otherwise OSX may refuse to work all together or simply not recognize your video adapter properly. I will go back up to 3gb just to test it out though once it installs.

I am hoping that some Asus laptop owner out there has some specs that are roughly the same but have found a way to fix the ACPI issue without disabling a core (other nonASUS owners also would like to know, but it does seem this issue has been with us for over a year with Tiger). I would love to stay in OSX while using parallels to run XP. I bought this laptop for 2 reason... 1 my old laptop was stolen... 2 This laptops screen blows away the LCD screens on all the MacBooks, yes even Pro 1920x1200!

*EDIT*

I have not had success yet.. I just got a b0 error which relates to the partition not being set to active.. normally, but it is set to active however I will still go through the steps through the terminal to ensure that it is, even though acronis has allowed me to set Apple partition to Active in the past just fine.

I have a asus F3E i've managed to install and boot kalway from the DVD by following this guide below:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

but at the moment i'm trying to get past the Welcome screen as it keeps looping. but for now i have to boot of the dvd with cpus=1 rd=diskXsY where X and Y are numbers.

I have found the time to try this again and yea Kalyway was the way to success it seems. (granted you replace a ton of kext files with ones from JaS, my first attempt of replacing them on the kalyway disc failed, but I did it through Linux the second time (could have also been done by XP using macdrive which is what I would actually recommend doing))

I literally could not get any other OSX disc to boot 10.5 or 10.4. Also I used NVinstaller for my 8600m and it worked flawlessly and I did the virginizer as well.

My wireless is not working it, doubt my ethernet is either. I will post a more detailed run day of my specs later. I am sure I mentioned it earlier, my laptop is an Asus G2S-A1. Also only one core is functional.

I just found out that sleep mode is not working on my Asus G2S-A1.... oh well... I can still set the monitor to go asleep. Also it does not seem to have any kind of battery icon. I guess what I have done probably disabled its power management and I would expect my laptop to not last to o awfully long on battery.

I've installed Kaly 10.5.1 on my Asus G1, and it works almost perfectly. The wireless doesn't work (will it ever work??) and I think that's all. But unfortunaly the 10.5.2 update is not so good. I mean the 10.5.2 update works and all, but the updated kernells kill my installation, no matter what I choose.

The go 7700 512MB works perfectly with the latest NVinject.

All is fine, and fast, except for the wireless and the updated kernell for 10.5.2..

Does anyone knows of a safe way to update it and not kill my installation and the dual boot system with Vista?

Thanks

i've got a W7S and i can install Kalyway by using cpus=1 but after i restart after it's finished i try to boot from the cd which some asus topic said but i just get sstill waiting for root device can someone help me thanks!

PS:I have not had success yet.. I just got a b0 error which relates to the partition not being set to active

you have to chang the settings when you are installing Kalyway you have to choose customize than the bootloaders EFI you should only choose only boot_efi_mbr it'll fix your problem!

I have found the time to try this again and yea Kalyway was the way to success it seems. (granted you replace a ton of kext files with ones from JaS, my first attempt of replacing them on the kalyway disc failed, but I did it through Linux the second time (could have also been done by XP using macdrive which is what I would actually recommend doing))

I literally could not get any other OSX disc to boot 10.5 or 10.4. Also I used NVinstaller for my 8600m and it worked flawlessly and I did the virginizer as well.

My wireless is not working it, doubt my ethernet is either. I will post a more detailed run day of my specs later. I am sure I mentioned it earlier, my laptop is an Asus G2S-A1. Also only one core is functional.

I just found out that sleep mode is not working on my Asus G2S-A1.... oh well... I can still set the monitor to go asleep. Also it does not seem to have any kind of battery icon. I guess what I have done probably disabled its power management and I would expect my laptop to not last to o awfully long on battery.

excuse me could you teach me how to replace a ton of kext files with ones from JaS on the kalyway disc thanks!

Well I simply used Ubuntu on another partition and used its nautilus scripts to help me becme root without having to do it in the terminal. Just look at other say on how to replace kext files there are really good instructions out there. I have found Ubuntu because you can right click a file and take ownership of it, but ubuntu has to be installed because that is not a standard feature in the live disc.

Search for this file it has the files you need.

JaS_ACPI_APIC_Tiger_Kexts.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i have 10.5.2 working with vinilla kernel and efi on my ASUS F3E AP075C.

Audio Working out of the box

X3100gm Working Out the the Box

LAN Working using 10.5.1 Iaktos ionetworking.kext

UVC Web cam working out of the box, but i feel sick using it as the image is upside down.

Wifi Not working yet!

Card Reader Not Working (RICHO chipset can get ID's for controller)

Bluetooth Works out of the box.

Intel centrino duo is not working with both cores even after bios mode as unless i put in CPUS=1 i can't see the desktop.

Anyone that can help me with that. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Yea i'm Looking for the Same thing..i'm looking to get both cores to work on my ASUS G1S-A1, with the flat image, out side all video..everything works out the box...spent all 8 hours working on it yesterday and i finally got it..but now i just want the Wireless to work..the Battery,and the dual cores...so any body can help..shot me a PM....btw...THE SEARCH SUCKS ASS..SO PLEASE DON'T POINT ME TO THERE

lol

Asus A8Sc not working with iATKOS r2 (with and without the bad-bios patch)..

With the bad-bios patch i get the com.apple.boot.plist not found error, without it i get the "ACPIPlatform has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi" error