Kalyway 10.5.1 w/ Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi

mdg

26 posts in this topic

Just installed...what's not working, and would love some help getting to work:

- Built in WiFi (selected during Kalyway install, but once booted up into OSX it tells me to go activate in Network...I did, but still no go...)

- Shutdown (computer screen turns off, but fans stay on)

- Sleep (wakes but computer screen is frozen)

- Dell Wireless 1500 (I bought a Mini PCIe to PCI x1 adapter...this worked as Airport Extreme Wireless N in 10.4.10 after I applied the Apple patch, but now it doesn't work as Airport)

My Hardware:

- Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (OC'd to 3.2 Ghz)

- Nvidia 7900 GS

- 4 Gb RAM (Corsair PC6400 4-4-4-12)

- WD 150 Gb Raptor

(..Xbench score 200.27...)

Thanks,

/mdg.

I have the same mobo, so far kalyway has been a dream come true, even my xt1950 ati card works, but i have the same wifi problem, i even tried to reinstall the realtek drivers from the site, but its a no go, any ideas? the utility keeps telling me to activate it, but i dont see the option to do so

Hey, I also have the P5K Deluxe, and I'm guessing you were able to install 10.5 since you're trying to update right now. Can you tell me how you got 10.5 to work? I tried using iATKOS but I can't seem to boot into OSX. I even set a boot flag using Gparted, to no avail. How'd you get it to boot?

Same boat here... p5ke wifi/ap BIOS: 908

BIOS:

processor speed manual so no EIST, no Ce1, etc only VT, XD etc default

All AHCI: ICH9 / jmicron

sata dvd:port 6

sata hd:port1

*Kalyway 10.5.1 LEOPARD DVD "unzip with WINRAR3.71!!!" md5checksum was correct!

install with vanilla"two checks" + mbr-efi "guid-efi will lead to an installation error and wil not boot... SO used MBR"

>>>IMPORTANT<<<

Diskutility doesnt make a clean disk partition for you sometimes, therefore FIRST do a short "5 minutes" 0-erase/ wipe of the total disk "in diskutility", this will erase the first sectors so LEOPARD will be able to install a good partition map/bootloader... "COST a DAY of EXPERIMENTING", after that LEOPARD will boot fine from the DISK

Shutdown and SLEEP not working...

Sleep leads to sleep "sometimes", but with wakeup freezes with a garbled screen...

Shutdown SOMETIMES works... SOMETIMES

"tried disabling jmicron, lan, wifi, AHCI>IDE etc nothing matters..."

AUDIO: 2channel analog 192khz 24 bit working, with the 1988b azalia kext "no digital or any other I/O available"

MArvel Yukon: lan works out of the box, but during boot gives errors about a ACPI

WiFi: was able to do a network scan, go to network options and in the DHCP option of the card select OFF, than the other REALTEK util comes to life,,,

REST of the system seems to work fine...

HD2600xt/pro both work okay after triakis driver from netkas... PRO needs aditional white menu fix!!!

I used the kalyway disk, i couldn't get a GUID install to work, i had to use MBR, so osx86 is my primary os. Before the install i selected customize, and checked the asus p5k sound, and i have an ati xt1950 , i selected the drivers for that, and the wifi driver, and installed. Everything works perfect except the wireless which i can deal without for now.

I did not do a plain vanilla install, My sleep , screen saver, and all powers options work perfect. I did not install jmicron

Just installed...what's not working, and would love some help getting to work:

- Built in WiFi (selected during Kalyway install, but once booted up into OSX it tells me to go activate in Network...I did, but still no go...)

- Shutdown (computer screen turns off, but fans stay on)

- Sleep (wakes but computer screen is frozen)

- Dell Wireless 1500 (I bought a Mini PCIe to PCI x1 adapter...this worked as Airport Extreme Wireless N in 10.4.10 after I applied the Apple patch, but now it doesn't work as Airport)

My Hardware:

- Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (OC'd to 3.2 Ghz)

- Nvidia 7900 GS

- 4 Gb RAM (Corsair PC6400 4-4-4-12)

- WD 150 Gb Raptor

(..Xbench score 200.27...)

Thanks,

/mdg.

I have an update....

- Shutdown now works 100%

- Restart works 100%

- Sleep now works 100%

- Dell 1500 Wireless N now works 100% as Airport (I have a mini PCIe to x1 adapter so I am able to use the laptop wireless card in a desktop).

- Since I have the above wireless working the Asus built in WiFi is less important, but still haven't gotten it to work. Would like to figure out how?

...it was all about getting the right combination of BIOS settings, and a few "a ha" kind of moments, which lead to getting the other stuff to work. I'll post some recommendations tomorrow.

For installation, to make things easier, boot of either an SATA DVD or an external USB DVD, press F8 and then type "-v -x". This will do an install in safe mode and can help. After install, don't use the -x switch...

/mdg.

I have an update....

- Restart works 100%

- Sleep now works 100%

- Dell 1500 Wireless N now works 100% as Airport (I have a mini PCIe to x1 adapter so I am able to use the laptop wireless card in a desktop).

- Since I have the above wireless working the Asus built in WiFi is less important, but still haven't gotten it to work. Would like to figure out how?

...it was all about getting the right combination of BIOS settings, and a few "a ha" kind of moments, which lead to getting the other stuff to work. I'll post some recommendations tomorrow.

For installation, to make things easier, boot of either an SATA DVD or an external USB DVD, press F8 and then type "-v -x". This will do an install in safe mode and can help. After install, don't use the -x switch...

/mdg.

Hi, i have the same motherboard as you,

My shutdown sometimes works, sleeps works but frezes on wake, and restart works. baiscly I was hoping you could help get it to shutdown reliability and mabey sleep as a bonus.

Thanks

I also have the Sleep and Shutdown issues on P5K-E. Which BIOS settings did you change to correct this? I could possibly live with the Sleep not working, but I would like the fans to turn off on Shutdown atleast

Thanks

I have this board. Everything seems fine except for a few problems-

- WiFi doesn't work. Tried the one on Kallyway disk and tried downloading Realtec but didn't work.

- Lan sometimes doesn't work, restart fixes.

I also have the P5K Deluxe with the sleep and shutdown issues. Sleep works, but won't wake up correctly. The system just hangs. Shutdown seems to put the monitors to sleep but the hardware and fans are definitely still on. Can you let us know which BIOS settings fixed these issues for you? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an update....

- Restart works 100%

- Sleep now works 100%

/mdg.

MDG-

Any chance you could post your setting recommendations since you say you have 100% success with things like sleep, restart, and shutdown?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I did a fresh install of 10.5.1 from the Kalyway disc (selected both efi boxes, azalia 1988b, nvidia for desktop, and mbr) , and then proceeded to update directly to the new 10.5.2 updates (the 10.5.2 update approx 300mb, and the seperate kernel approx 6MB download) that are available from kalyway as well (searching the bay of the pirates)

Everything is installed smoothly. :angel:

Sound - Works (2 output channel only) I hope taruga's 2.0 HDA patcher will be able to help this soon

Ethernet - Works (Both ports surprisingly work now) onboard wifi is close to working if realtek updates their driver/utility for Leopard

Video - Works (QE/CI/Rotate Dual DVI with NO vga adapters) XFX 7600GT 256MB PCIE

Bluetooth - Works (random cheap ebay dongle)

DVD+-RW/DL - Works (Samsung SATA) the sata drive makes everything easier with this board, I recommend spending the $30 at newegg.

I am still having some hit or miss results with shutdown, sleep, restart...

shutdown - turns everything off, but fans still spin until I hold down power button for a few seconds

restart - works

sleep - works

I'll try and update this post again with some BIOS screenshots of my settings later tonight

@ MDG - I'd still like to hear from you or anyone else that has this board who has achieved a 100% feature set.

• 1 month later...
I figured out my wifi issue, i had to go into system preferences, network and click the + symbol and add "ethernet" i think i had to add a few of them before they picked up as "wifi" with the wifi driver

Hmm, I did that yesterday, which "activated" my WiFi card. However, I can't get the wireless connection to stay on. The Realtek utility will detect the networks in my vicinity, and connect briefly, and then disconnect. If someone has gotten the wireless on this mobo to work consistently, please share ;).

• 3 months later...

Started testing this again and it seems Shutdown works for me IF I don't let it go into sleep.

If you want to test it, make sure the Preferences in OS X is set to not go into standby/sleep mode to keep it from at least trying.

If I let it go into sleep mode and come back out of it, Shutdown will not always power off completely (fans always on as if it went into S1 mode). Forced to hit the reset or PSU power switch at that stage.

At rare times the SATA drive will freak out after the monitor powers off. The heads start thrashing and the same situation as above occurs.

But again, some random times it will shutdown ok.

This has happened with various kernels from 9.2.0 (sleep, speedstep, vanilla, etc) to the latest 9.4 Vanilla so think there is another common factor to look at.

I noticed that Sleep won't work at all until a graphics card driver is installed and "working".

Going to try a different graphics card and drivers for grins but still looking for other suggestions.

Note: If you are testing sleep mode, don't forget to enable the BIOS Suspend Mode to S3 under the Power section (defaults to S1) and make sure it works ok in XP first.