HOW TO: GUID and Windows Vista

41 posts in this topic

This guide will show you how to setup Windows with a GUID partition table. Sometimes, Windows will say it can't be installed on a GPT (GUID) partition so this is when this guide comes in

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for ANY data loss. REMEMBER TO BACKUP TO ALL PERSONAL FILES!! This method may or may not work for you. It is not guaranteed! This is for experienced users or people who want to try new things like me.

Things you'll need:

gptsync

Mac OS X Leopard Disk {BrazilMac used.. ToH and Tiger Might Work but not able to move partitions (I think)}

Windows Vista or XP install disk

pc_efi_v80

Optional:

i_am_me's patches

A LOT OF PAITENCE

1. Download pc_efi_v80 and put the files on a usb drive named Patcher

2. Boot in to Leopard Dvd and Partition your disk into GUID (This will delete EVERYTHING!!!!)

Disk Utilty>>Your disk>>Partition>>Options>>GUID

Make sure you leave a small room for Windows..Like 20GB format in FAT32

Unmount all Partitions!

Guid is partitioned like this now

disk0s1 - EFI partition

disk0s2 - Leopard

disk0s3 - Vista

It might be slightly different.

3. Plug in USB key. It should show up in Disk Utilty. Remember the Volumes name shown.

4. Go into terminal and type

cd /Volumes/Volumename/

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8 Replace 2 with your mac boot partition

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1 Same thing as above

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

You can now unplug the USB drive. It gave a Kernel Panic during install when I left it in.

5. You are done! Now go and install Leopard as usual.

6. The PC should reboot and ask for your info, etc or you may need to postpatch

7. Yaay! You have Leopard now! Now lets install gptsync. >> This syncs GUID and MBR for Windows

Run rEFIt.mpkg

Make sure you uncheck Partition Blesser

8. Once done, reboot and it should boot back into Leopard

9. Reboot again and insert Vista install disk.

10. It should pickup your partitions properly and you should be able to install. You can now format to NTFS

11. Once done boot into Leopard DVD

12. Go into Disk Utility and Unmount all Volumes

13. Go into Terminal and type

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

14. Reboot and quickly hold F8. You should see something like Foreign Boot (Thats Windows)

Boot what ever you want

You might want to change the com.apple.boot.plist to have a timeout

Hurray, you done the nearly impossible!! Your Hackintosh is now doing Bootcamp, somewhat..

Remember this might not work for you so it is unconfirmed by others yet.

• 3 weeks later...

XP 32bit does not boot/work on GUID/GPT Disks.

I tried for three days and nothing but BSODs, even I tried win XP x64 and got tired of errors, even if I can make it work it is useless withhout drivers.

XP 32bit does not boot/work on GUID/GPT Disks.

I tried for three days and nothing but BSODs, even I tried win XP x64 and got tired of errors, even if I can make it work it is useless withhout drivers.

At least Vista 32-bit is working. I tried with three Vista Editions (Home, Ultimate 32 and 64 bit). Cant say about XP :/

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed. My HD had 4 partitions, I deleted the 3rd, and disk utility suddenly decided that my HD was partitioned for bootcamp (it's written next to the partitions graphic). However I lost the space for this partition, and the hole is now displayed at the begining of the drive. If I try to resize or reallocate something, the bootcamp feature goes away. I'll try with other partition tools

• 2 months later...

So you have the refit menu working then i take it otherwise whats the point of installing it??

krazubu is also correct vista will not install directly to GPT i know this as i was a beta tester for the big M.

Doing what macgirl says also leaves a problem. Vista require a boot block in the MBR without it no boot.

macgirl can VM Fusion take over a partition like in VMWARE 6 if so that will be the easy way of doing it.

Yes, fusion can take a partition, on the Vitualization forum there are threads of how to make a real partition work with fusion, here are one for Parallels.

As I said, the better aproach to have Vista in a Guid disk is to install it in a MBR disk an then copy the partition with Gparted.

Yes, fusion can take a partition, on the Vitualization forum there are threads of how to make a real partition work with fusion, here are one for Parallels.

As I said, the better aproach to have Vista in a Guid disk is to install it in a MBR disk an then copy the partition with Gparted.

Have you managed to make refit work on a hackingtosh i.e the menu?

MacGirl i've made a copy of my vista recovery from the laptop which was in MBR to my external. i have formatted my laptop to GUID and efi how can i get the MBR NTFS partition with windows on to the GUID partition. I have that gpart but i don't know how to use it properly and just require a bit of help!

ThanksXX

There is a better way to GUID dual Boot vista and OSX.

1) Boot leopard DVD and partition your drives. (Vista's partition must be FAT32)

2) Reboot and boot of Windows Vista's DVD and Format the FAT32 partition to NTFS.

3) Now install leopard.

That is all there is to it.

Make sure when you install leopard to install GUID EFI or it wont work!

There is a better way to GUID dual Boot vista and OSX.

1) Boot leopard DVD and partition your drives. (Vista's partition must be FAT32)

2) Reboot and boot of Windows Vista's DVD and Format the FAT32 partition to NTFS.

3) Now install leopard.

That is all there is to it.

Make sure when you install leopard to install GUID EFI or it wont work!

did you do that? any errors?

did you do that? any errors?

Yes i did that and no errors no need to do any commands either.

All I did was boot of the Leopard DVD to partition my drive for EFI,HFS+,FAT32 in GUID then rebooted and booted of the vista CD and formated the FAT32 drive to NTFS. Installed vista then rebooted and booted back off the leopard dvd and installed leopard and it then worked in dualboot mode from darwin.

No HFS+ errors or BR0 errors.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tryed installing vista 32 bit, but it won't boot. This is what i did

I made a 50gb partition with disk ultility in 10.5.2.

Booted the vista dvd, installed onto the 50gb partition, restarted.

Then i got the blinking cursor, so i booted the leopard dvd and did this

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Then i got the leopard boot menu, which listed the leopard hd and the foreign boot.

But when i try to boot the vista partition it it just hangs at the leopard boot menu

Did i do anything wrong?

Thnx for anyhelp -_-

~p-J

OK boot off your windows vista dvd.

When it gets past the Selecting of Language click the repair button.

Now if it detect vista on your hard disc it will repair it for you if not click next and select command prompt.

Once your in command prompt follow the next steps.

1)Type command diskpart

2)Type command select disk X (where x is disk number. If it an internal is 0)

3)Type command list partition. (make note of partition for windows)

4)Type command select partition X (where X is partition number)

5)Type command active (this will mark the windows partition as active but don't worry it wont kill the darwin bootloader)

6)Type command quit

7)Reboot computer

8)Select Forign boot

If the error comes up about winload.exe just reinsert the Vista DVD go to the repair section and it will fix it for you and reboot your computer as VIsta will show up as and OS.

Then you should have a bootable Vista partition. If it does work you need to redo the dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 command from the dvd.

I have a 32bit install of vista that I want to copy to a GUID scheme I setup. Should work right?

Also will parted magic basicly do the same thing as gparted? Or do I need to get gparted?

THANKS

I'm still trying to get this to work. What I get is unknown OS to show on the Darwin list but never will it boot. Darwin simply freezes up. I tried to fix the partition using my vista disc and interestingly enough it will fix it if its the 4 partition on the disc but Not if its the 3rd partition on the disc & I tried to do it manually with diskpart also. So this leads me to believe the below statement is true when dealing with windows 32bit.

This is a quote from SMF.

"If you have GPT and want to install XP32 bit you need to put xp32 in the 4th partition (this counts the EFI partition as 1). I can't explain it but I've done a lot of testing of XP32 with a hybrid GPT/MBR layout (which diskutility will create if you have at least one partition FAT32). For some reason if you make 3 partitions with GPT (not counting the EFI partition that is created with GPT) and make one HFS+ for OSX and the two FAT32 you can put XP32 on the second FAT32 partition and it will install and run fine. You do however have to make the second FAT32 partition the active partition before you try and install XP32. If try and put XP32 in the first FAT32 partition the install will fail on the first reboot."

I am also wondering if another partiton past the 2 fat32 partitions is allowed? Another NTFS for storage? Or can I turn both of the fat32 partitons be into NTFS ones?

Also this goes against what I_am me says in his guide on PC_EFI. I have been trying for days to get this to work with NO LUCK. I have checked out the refit site and tried installing rEFit .11 and that did nothing.

If anyone can help me I know I'm close but still not having any luck. I have my vista partition backed up with acronis true image and can transplant it to MBR then copy it over to GUID but acronis takes hours to do this and that is why I have been doing this for days.

If you follow my guide to the letter making sure you use GUID EFI then it will work i have done it now 8 times and its works like a charm!

If the you could send me a screenshot of the problem i might be able to help! It won't work with XP 32 bit edition it will only work with Windows XP 64bit, Windows Vista, Windows 2003 64bit and Windows 2008 on a guid partition scheme! Sorry Xp 32bit owners.

Hacktrix2006 I have followed your guide. However I can not have a setup like this below:

Guid is partitioned like this now

disk0s1 - EFI partition

disk0s2 - Leopard

disk0s3 - Vista

It might be slightly different.

Mine must look like this for VISTA 32bit:

disk0s1 - EFI partition

disk0s2 - Leopard

disk0s3 - Fat32 partition

disk0s3 - Vista 32bit

It is slightly different

With the above I can mark the partition active with diskpart with only 3 partitions diskpart refuses to mark the 3rd partition (32bit vista) active. I tried to mark it active with gparted and that messed everything up.

Even with vista 32bit on the 4th partition though I can not get the system to boot vista. Even after a repair with the vista disc & marking it active with diskpart. What happens is darwin freezes at / with cursor blicking below it and I have let it sit there for a while to. I dont have a screen shot of it but I have described exactly what happens. I hope you can help me? As I am out of ideas how to get this to work.