10.5.2 "the largest and most important intermediate system update ever released by Apple."

i_am...me

45 posts in this topic

I guess what I am saying is Apple had countless builds and they were also late in their release schedule. OK, not as late as Vista but MS gets it wrong, MS is heavily criticized for getting it wrong, however, when Apple follows the same suit, all the sheep here just say how great Apple is. Can't have it both ways.

So, I installed 10.5.2. It's the ADC build v. 9C7 Combo Update. It's not an easy install, exactly. On this current build you can only install 10.5.2 from 10.5, not 10.5.1.

When you try to load the update from the fresh install of 10.5, it will crash because of dsmos. You have to load the update from another partition. Once, that's done, you can add the kexts as usual.

-Things are still kind of glitchy in Safari in this build (closes on forums sometimes, some webpages need to be reloaded when a link is first link)

-Stacks is "fixed"

-Improved performance (my Xbench CPU score went for a 138.72 to 150.64) stock core2dup 2.4ghz

-Slighty smoother/different Stacks Grid animation

-Improved iChat (4.0.2)

-IDE HDD drive kept HDD activity light on after awaking from sleep mode. I disconnected the IDE hdd, and it went away. Who uses IDE hdds anymore anyways.

Not much more to say on this build. It works though, and thats whats important.

-Stell

So, I installed 10.5.2. It's the ADC build v. 9C7 Combo Update. It's not an easy install, exactly. On this current build you can only install 10.5.2 from 10.5, not 10.5.1.

When you try to load the update from the fresh install of 10.5, it will crash because of dsmos. You have to load the update from another partition. Once, that's done, you can add the kexts as usual.

-Things are still kind of glitchy in Safari in this build (closes on forums sometimes, some webpages need to be reloaded when a link is first link)

-Stacks is "fixed"

-Improved performance (my Xbench CPU score went for a 138.72 to 150.64) stock core2dup 2.4ghz

-Improved iChat (4.0.2)

-IDE HDD drive kept HDD activity light on after awaking from sleep mode. I disconnected the IDE hdd, and it went away. Who uses IDE hdds anymore anyways.

-Stell

Very promising :)

-Stacks is "fixed"

-Improved iChat (4.0.2)

-Stell

thanks Stell.

I dont think i need to worry to much about it anymore :)

Not true. I rather have a Hackintosh than a Mac Pro, as the Mac Pro is as loud as a hairdryer and I want an absolutely silent computer.

are you serious? there are 3 Mac Pros in my school, and they're all whisper quiet. all three have dual Xeon dual core CPUs @ 2.66ghz. one has 4gb of RAM, one has 2gb of RAM and the last has 1gb of RAM.

i don't know what Mac Pro you're talking about

are you serious? there are 3 Mac Pros in my school, and they're all whisper quiet. all three have dual Xeon dual core CPUs @ 2.66ghz. one has 4gb of RAM, one has 2gb of RAM and the last has 1gb of RAM.

You must have a very low standard when you use the term "whisper quiet." This is my definition -- at 3am in the morning, the only noise alowed are the tapping noise from the keyboard. There are no fan noises of any kind, and no noises from hard drives.

Not true. I rather have a Hackintosh than a Mac Pro, as the Mac Pro is as loud as a hairdryer and I want an absolutely silent computer.

We have a bunch in the editing room at school, completely decked out (gotta love using the school budget), and the only thing you can hear is mouse clicks and keyboard typing. The models range from the second to last G5 that came out to the newest models. And all the Hacks I've used and most the WinPC's in general that I've used are actually rather loud.

We have a bunch in the editing room at school, completely decked out (gotta love using the school budget), and the only thing you can hear is mouse clicks and keyboard typing.

Are you sure that your editing room is not just noisy? Try do the same thing at 3am in the morning when the entire campus is quiet.

There's stil plenty of reason to prefer Hackintosh to mac pro... Lot$ of reason. You could build what amounts to a quad 3ghz Mac pro with 4GB of ram and a X1950XT for well under half the price.

this is something that worries me a little about the new updates, or future possibility of updates including this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140798-c...ns/article.html

Apple has filed a patent on a Windows Genuine Advantage validation -like system for DRM stuff... it's a "digital rights management system" that would "restrict execution of that application to specific hardware platforms."

search for "20070288886" or "Run-Time Code Injection to Perform Checks" for all details

this is something that worries me a little about the new updates, or future possibility of updates including this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140798-c...ns/article.html

Apple has filed a patent on a Windows Genuine Advantage validation -like system for DRM stuff... it's a "digital rights management system" that would "restrict execution of that application to specific hardware platforms."

search for "20070288886" or "Run-Time Code Injection to Perform Checks" for all details

thats what might be announced at macworld..

I guess what I am saying is Apple had countless builds and they were also late in their release schedule. OK, not as late as Vista but MS gets it wrong, MS is heavily criticized for getting it wrong, however, when Apple follows the same suit, all the sheep here just say how great Apple is. Can't have it both ways.

Uhh,

Leopard:

9A1 => 9A581: First release, RTM. 581 builds.

9B1 => 9B18 : Second release. 10.5.1. 18 builds.

9C1 => 9C7 : Third release. 10.5.2, not released yet. 7 builds already.

Delayed 1 year.

Windows Vista:

Longhorn build 3663 => 6000: First release, RTM. 2338 builds.

v101 => v668: SP1, not even released yet, countless betas, RC's, etc. Already amounts to 568 builds.

581 < 2338

18 < 568

And Apple is already working on a third version, 10.5.2, going to be released w/ new Penryn machines, etc.

See the difference.

You can't easily compare the number of builds because they [Apple and MS] number their builds differently.

And there was no Longhorn build past ~41xx and skipped to 5xxx since MS had to "change the foundation." So that's approximately 1438 left in question.

Who cares? God you people make things so freaking difficult and complicated.

Apple users flock to Apple because their stuff works and works extremely well because 90% of the time, they control what goes on, even if it has some issues. And Windows works well as well, the faults come from outside the OS, which they can't really control, but they are trying to find ways to buffer the problems.

Stop making everything into a crapstorm when it doesn't have to be.