Global Warming

Global Warming  

81 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is Global Warming happening (ie, is the global temperature rising)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Can we stop Global Warming?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are we causing global warming as a whole, or merely exacerbating it

• We are the only cause of it
    • We are not responsible at all
    • We are exacerbating it, but not the only cause

164 posts in this topic

I think that we as a world are responsible to the damage we have done. I myself have tried to stay environmentally friendly with my 2006 VW Jetta that easily gets 40+mpg. I think that we still have a chance to clean up our act and save ourselves from the iminent doom we are paving the road to.

I see us doomed financially with an upcoming depression. That is reality. I see not being able to afford gas, so I drive my Honda XR200R to work.

What about Global Cooling? Is that a threat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

So which one is it? Global Cooling, or Global warming? You can't have both. ^_^

Leftist extremists are fun to poke fun of.

I see us doomed financially with an upcoming depression. That is reality. I see not being able to afford gas, so I drive my Honda XR200R to work.

What about Global Cooling? Is that a threat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

So which one is it? Global Cooling, or Global warming? You can't have both. :hysterical:

Leftist extremists are fun to poke fun of.

So are the fascist, rightist extremists like yourself, but I can't be bothered with that today

So are the fascist, rightist extremists like yourself, but I can't be bothered with that today

Oh. I'll bother you to your grave buddy.

Since you can't be bothered with the truth, I'll continue to expose you state worshiping nutjobs, and your extremist propaganda.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/march...8_b_Kennedy.htm

Fascist? You are the one advocating Fascism, when you try your lame account for the federal reserve system, and back communist dictatorships.

You can't think of anything but left, vs right can you, yuppie?

On the contrary, I am a constitutionalist.

post-161351-1205935327_thumb.jpg

prisonplanet is not a legitimate source!

btw, regarding global cooling, from wikipedia:

This hypothesis never had significant scientific support, but gained temporary popular attention due to press reports following a better understanding of ice age cycles and a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s. In recent decades, the Earth has undergone a period of global warming.

Antarctic Temperatures:

Amundsen: -1.0º C.

Casey: +0.45º C

Davis: -0.25º C.

Halley Bay: -0.4º C.

Mawson: +0.2º C.

Mirny: 0.0º C.

Mizuho: -1.7º C.

Molodezhnya: -0.17º C.

Orcadas: +1.2º C.

Signy: +.04º C.

Syowa: +0.01º C.

Vostok: -0.05º C.

Antarctic Temperatures:

Amundsen: -1.0º C.

Casey: +0.45º C

Davis: -0.25º C.

Halley Bay: -0.4º C.

Mawson: +0.2º C.

Mirny: 0.0º C.

Mizuho: -1.7º C.

Molodezhnya: -0.17º C.

Orcadas: +1.2º C.

Signy: +.04º C.

Syowa: +0.01º C.

Vostok: -0.05º C.

global warming is not based on individual examples, it is based on the global mean temperature of each year.

Sure and where are most temperatures taken? Cities. Cities temperatures increase as they get larger.

Another thing: You guys aware that most species would benefit from global warming?

Sure and where are most temperatures taken? Cities. Cities temperatures increase as they get larger.

Another thing: You guys aware that most species would benefit from global warming?

Sure, because fish benefit from the toxification of the oceans due to massive algal blooms, or when the coral reef that supports them dies.

I'm sure the animals of the rainforest will massively benefit when masses of plants die due to drought.

I'm sure the massive herds of the African plains will benefit when the seasonal rains don't happen.

Have some common sense, the only person you are kidding is yourself

It's hotter in cities because of all the asphalt.. that stuff absorbs heat like crazy. I work at a Nissan plan, it's ALL asphalt and god, it sucks on a hot day.. we're talking heat shimmers

Temperature data is corrected for this effect. in State of Fear, by Micheal Crichton, (though it argues against global warming), he acknowledges that current data has been corrected for this.

Most (nearly all) species are adapted to their specific climate. If you change it, they get hurt. If it does happen to benefit them, it will benefit another species much more and they will get pushed out. like the algae blooms.

But still, through the past millennia it has been show that warmer periods are better for species than colder ones and it makes sense. If a Canadian black bear had more time to gather food because of a longer summer wouldn't that be better than a shorter time to gather food for hibernation?

I see us doomed financially with an upcoming depression. That is reality.

Was consulting with some financial experts last week and they were telling me that short of a miracle there is no way that we will avoid a recession, and most likely we will also see a depression sometime within the next year. The perfect way for bush to end his debacled presidency ;)

So which one is it? Global Cooling, or Global warming? You can't have both.

You're always telling people to 'educate themselves' and now it is time for you to do the same. Not only can we have both conditions but we already do. Global cooling is actually named badly and throws a lot of people off, but basically it is (and has) been hiding the global warming effects. Once its effects are factored in people will start to see just how bad a condition this planet is really in :(

If a Canadian black bear had more time to gather food because of a longer summer wouldn't that be better than a shorter time to gather food for hibernation?

Maybe for the black bear but not for other animals like the polar bears. You're also missing the point that the black bear might have more time to hunt, but the food that it hunts might not be around any longer. It's like a domino effect, you upset one thing and it effects other things down the line.

The only problem I see is that there are not enough resources for everyone so there are two solutions for this:

A: Slice up resources

B: Downsize the population

Global warming will automatically take care of all of that, and not in a good way...

The only problem I see is that there are not enough resources for everyone so there are two solutions for this:

A: Slice up resources

B: Downsize the population

If our population was at a more appropriate amount, like 3 billion or less, global warming wouldn't be as big of a deal. In fact, neither would the looming water crisis, fossil fuels running out or anything!

If our population was at a more appropriate amount, like 3 billion or less, global warming wouldn't be as big of a deal.

The last one hundred years the population has skyrocketed. A lot of that has happened in Africa and India where the average woman has more than 5 kids. A lack of education is a big problem. Most women in Africa say that they don't use condoms because they 'trust' their partner(s) won't get them pregnant :wacko: The catholic church also has an anti-condom rule and the extra births all add up to a lot of extra burden for the planet to bear.

worldpop.jpg

:angry2: These graphs are too funny. Oh, BTW. I have photoshop. Let me draw you up a graph. ;)

You are implying that you want to kill yourself to "save the planet" from something that doesn't exist?

This is the impression that your statement makes. Just pointing that out.

Go back to sleep and worship your Gaia. -_-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_(mythology)

BTW- how do you know it's overstuffed? You didn't peek did you?

Hey those gasses can't stay backed up forever..... they eventually gotta release and my goodness they did.... heard about those cranes toppling in NYC and Miami?

Good example of ignoring evidence.
Evidence, maybe... of what, no one is sure :D BTW-clicked on the first link of your so-called "evidence" and couldn't help but notice that the first paragraph ended with "...according to one scientist's controversial theory." :whistle: Nice job skipper. LOL :D
Hey those gasses can't stay backed up forever..... they eventually gotta release and my goodness they did....
...could be another cause of global warming ;)