x200 chipset installation

WhoNeedsVista

57 posts in this topic

Hey there, Thanks for the tutorial firstly, Here's a challenge question, and I don't expect much, but maybe a shove in the right direction:

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001

WDC Sata Scorpio HD

512MB Ram

X200 Graphics

The ONLY installer that gets past WAITING ON ROOT DEVICE is the uphuk 10.4.9 r1.4. I was able to get that one installed, rebooted and HEARD the welcome music. But alas no video, just hung on the boot screen. So close but yet so far.

I have tried Kalayway 10.4.10, 10.5.1, and the macdotnub release in this thread. None get to the installer. The BIOS on this laptop is basic, all I can do is disable the on board LAN, Trackpad, and Audio. Otherwise it's got nothing else you'd expect.

So the question is....now what? Maybe a frankendisk that is the uphuck wit the x200 stuff from this thread? I'm sure there are directions on how to make the image, and if someone thinks that might work i'll give it a try.

I know everyone is busy, and I did press search, but any direction would be appreciated. My daughter won't leave me alone about this.

Thanks

Marc

Usually, when you get through the install, and it "hangs" on the boot screen, it is because you missed the mark when you chose your install options.

I am not saying you specifically did this, but would be interested what you did install.

Reveeen -

I don''t have the machine in front of me (daughter had to take it to school), but if I remember correctly I installed the standard options for system, ATI only for the display drivers, all the network drivers, and none of the other applications.

I tried reinstalling using the Callisto3 for video, and that gave me a kernel panic in the end. I know that the laptop is a real low-end special, and Toshibas are notoriusly bad for this effort but I feel 'close' if you know what I mean.

If you'd like me to PM you anything to keep the thread clean of my ramblings let me know.

Most of all THANK YOU for the reply, and your patience with my noobness.

Marc

MarcL:

Ok, try a minimal install, OS, and patches, + only network drivers (if required, there should be minimal network in there), then work up to adding drivers one at a time, after you have a minimal install up and running.

Hey there, Thanks for the tutorial firstly, Here's a challenge question, and I don't expect much, but maybe a shove in the right direction:

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001

WDC Sata Scorpio HD

512MB Ram

X200 Graphics

The ONLY installer that gets past WAITING ON ROOT DEVICE is the uphuk 10.4.9 r1.4. I was able to get that one installed, rebooted and HEARD the welcome music. But alas no video, just hung on the boot screen. So close but yet so far.

I have tried Kalayway 10.4.10, 10.5.1, and the macdotnub release in this thread. None get to the installer. The BIOS on this laptop is basic, all I can do is disable the on board LAN, Trackpad, and Audio. Otherwise it's got nothing else you'd expect.

So the question is....now what? Maybe a frankendisk that is the uphuck wit the x200 stuff from this thread? I'm sure there are directions on how to make the image, and if someone thinks that might work i'll give it a try.

I know everyone is busy, and I did press search, but any direction would be appreciated. My daughter won't leave me alone about this.

Thanks

Marc

I had the same problem and i figured out it was my video driver. Follow what Reveeen said and do a minimal install no extras.

• 1 month later...

Laptop Asus A6rp. mac.nub DVD (such as topicstarter wrote about) Totally unsucessful =(

Specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron M 420 1.6Ghz (SSE2 SSE3 PAE bla-bla-bla supported)

North Bridge: ATI RC410M

South Bridge: ATI SB450, 2 Channels IDE ATA Controller

HDD: 60GB IDE Primary Master

DVD: IDE, Secondary Master

Video: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M

Sound: Realtek HD, ALC660 chip

Wifi: ASUS bla-bla, based on Broadcom chip

1. Doesn't start installation with internal DVD, cause Secondary IDE Channel is unworkable here. (For Example, Leo4All could)

FIXED by plugging external DVD via USB.

2. Long installation procedure (especially strange stage called smth like System Optimization at the end of installation)

3. Continuous rebooting after that. using -v I can't see what's wrong, cause very fast, without -v rebooting just after grey screen with Apple logo.

Absolutely have no idea what to do.

Tried both patches+extras and clean installation. The result is the same. Tried to disable such as LPT, IrDA, CardReader in Bios - nothing good.

Hope anybody could advice anything.

P.S. Tried to install Leo4All, both versions, installation is completed, however there was extremely slow HDD operating, contacted with eddied11c, however he couldn't help, it seems that there is deep trouble with IDE at Leo. So now trying with Tiger.

== ADDED ==

Strange, once I more I tried clean installation. The of course rebooting and rebooting. Then I run installation DVD once more and have choosen that SSE2 patch. Strange, but after that it boots. However HDD speed is deadly slow. Will try to fix it.

==ADDED==

Installed, patched OnboardPCATA from Zappadoc, however still great pauses in HDD working, but loading is some faster. I heard about 20 sec booting with IDE HDDs =) no,no,no.. 5-10 minutes minimum at my machine.

Installed Katana, got native resolution 1280x800, and of course no QE\CI.

Wifi not works (in Leopard it does)

Sound not works (in Leopard too)

So if Leo would "love" my chipset then I'd like to install 10.5.2... to be realist, no Tiger neither Leopard I can call even so-so middle-level working OS on my system. It's more strange 'cause I read about success with Asus A6r and Mac Os X. However those topics are old and nobody write there.

• 2 months later...