Guide to installing leopard on AMD (without tiger)

subramanyam

36 posts in this topic

ULTIMATE GUIDE TO INSTALLING LEOPARD ON AMD (WITHOUT TIGER !!)

Most of the guides available online make use of tiger to install leopard...for those of u with shortage of disk space like me,u'll find this guide useful

I have tries to make this guide as easy and as comprehensive as possible,but comments and suggestions are welcome.

WHAT U NEED :

The ToH Leopard Disk ( U know where to get it)

AMD ppf patch ( http://www.mediafire.com/?1temgsydxnz )

PPF-O-MATIC 3.0 ( http://halo2.filefront.com/file/PPFOMatic;24225 )

A copy of the AMD Decrypts ( http://rapidshare.com/files/65593520/9A581_amd.zip.html )

Macdrive for Windows (OPTIONAL) ( http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive...ial/default.asp )

Shrinker.zip ( http://www.mediafire.com/?fvnrvtx2gjj )

Replacement files : http://rapidshare.com/files/72115074/repla..._files.zip.html

Disclaimer:

This guide is based on my experience with my AMD Athlon 3000+. Depending on your hardware, YMMV.

Step 1:

Patch the Toh Leopard Iso with the amd ppf using ppf-o-matic 3.0

For more help on ppf-o-matic,follow the readme included with it.

Extract shrinker.zip and 9a581_amd.zip somewhere on your windows/other partition.

Replace the files cpuid.txt and replace.sh in 9a581_HD folder with my versions of the files found in replacement_files.zip

Step 2:

Create a primary partition on your hard disk to install leopard on. Those of you who have tried Tiger know how to go about this.I am not going to elaborate on this step further

Step 3:

Burn the patched iso..and install leopard from it.

Make sure you click on CUSTOMIZE during the installation process and choose the required files.

If u get errors like "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE" or anything else ,visit the insanelymac forums or the irc channel for help.

Step 4:

Now things start to get interesting...

Try to boot into leopard.

If U CAN'T

insert the leopard disk again and start from it.

Go to UTILITIES->terminal

type

/usr/misc/script.sh <volume name>

where volume name is the name of ur leopard partition

eg: /usr/misc/script.sh LEOPARD

Now if u have macdrive installed,reboot to windows and just drag drop the extracted Shrinker.zip files and the amd decrypt(9A581_HD) files onto the leopard root partition

else

copy the files using the terminal from the leopard disk onto the leopard partition. I will leave this to you but if u are not comfortable with the shell commands,go with the macdrive method

NOW LISTEN CAREFULLY

As soon as leopard begins to boot,press F8 to enter startup options

boot with -s -legacy

u will get a command prompt :

type

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -r NV*
rm -r Ge*

Now provided u copied the files properly using Macdrive /shell :

cd /9A581_HD
./replace.sh
./patcher cpuid.txt

cd  /	

rm -rf mach*

cp Shrinker/files/mach_kernel  /

chmod - R 755 mach_kernel && chown -R root:wheel mach_kernel

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *

reboot

Now fingers crossed...u must be able to boot into LEOPARD.

For more information on getting ur graphic card working...check the forums

The nvidia link is here

http://rapidshare.com/files/69216300/leonvidia.zip

Instructions:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70775

Feedback appreciated.

there's a torrent floating around entitled MacOSX 10.5.1 (9B18)MacOSXUpd10.5.1AMD.pkg.zip

the NFO description says....." no need to :

-decrypt

-patch cpuid`s

includes :

-modded nvidia kexts

-kernel 9.1.0 AMD sse2/sse3 (mach_sleep)"

so how are we supposed to use it? there's no readme file.

Can these packages be added to the dvd somehow?

there's a torrent floating around entitled MacOSX 10.5.1 (9B18)MacOSXUpd10.5.1AMD.pkg.zip

the NFO description says....." no need to :

-decrypt

-patch cpuid`s

includes :

-modded nvidia kexts

-kernel 9.1.0 AMD sse2/sse3 (mach_sleep)"

so how are we supposed to use it? there's no readme file.

Can these packages be added to the dvd somehow?

This package is for update your leopard 10.5.0 up to 10.5.1 if you have an AMD...

But there is now a torrent named "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits)" which is a patched dvd for all AMD...

Hi there, nice guide, I'm still busy installing, but so far the following addition seems mandatory to your guide:

If you're using the cpuid.txt file you supply you have to make sure you name your leopard partition "LEOPARD" (using capitals)

If you want to use another name for your partition, make sure to edit all the lines in cpuid.txt accordingly.

Ok, I'm continuing working on my install, let you guys know how it goes.

Well, I have an USB mouse & keyboard and they just don't work when I boot the Leopard DVD install disc. I used to have this problem with Tiger too but unplugging them and then plugging them back used to do the trick. Now that doesn't work anymore ;). Any advice?

Hi there, nice guide, I'm still busy installing, but so far the following addition seems mandatory to your guide:

If you're using the cpuid.txt file you supply you have to make sure you name your leopard partition "LEOPARD" (using capitals)

If you want to use another name for your partition, make sure to edit all the lines in cpuid.txt accordingly.

Ok, I'm continuing working on my install, let you guys know how it goes.

Hey,

I edited the cpuid.txt file and the replace.sh file .So there is now no need to name your partition as Leopard...

Hello,

I have the dvd 10.5.1, when i boot from the dvd, then i can't create partition on my hdd.

i have a error: "I/O error, can't create partion". i see when the dvd boot, my computer say "HDD open write only".

My System: AMD 3800 X2, AM2, nForce550 chipset, 320GB SATA HDD, 2GB RAM

please help me.

thanks

A few tips

don't burn the patch iso too fast.

If anyone gets the

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x00, ASCQ = 0x00

on boot - be patient - wait a good 5 minutes and it gets passed this point.

With regards to the HDD disc problem - my drive became undetectable by Kalyway boot disc so - i used my xp machine > computer management > delete partition > (MAKE SURE YOU GO THE CORRECT DISK)

then initialised it as NTFS.

then you can use macdrive software in xp > right mouse click on the drive > format Mac drive.

it comes up with a list of drives > select the correct one

then there's a small tiny icon that says initialize disc

then I think it's followed up with another tiny icon to create a partition and format it as HFS

AGAIN label it LEOPARD

Hello I'm new here. I have a AMD computer and I gonna try to instal Leopard on it, but I have some questions.

@subramanyam: What do you mean with "The ToH Leopard Disk", can you give me the name of the image because i can find more ToH suff. I have a raw dmg image is that also ok?

I'm dutch sorry for my bad English.

PS

you DON'T need to press F8 or pass any switches on the TOH Rc2 boot - let the dvd boot by itself.

according to the \Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.Boot file

the -v (verbose) -legacy (like safe mode) flags are being passed.

i must have wasted several hours on this / reading up on other posts - wondering why the installer was complaining about missing boot plist files. This seems to happen if you press f8. I also got side tracked trying to pass in platform=X86PC (which is apparently case sensitive) as well -x (don't know what this does) -F (force the installer to go to next problem) - you don't need these.

installer was working fine up to 90% of the way through.

my patched image using the ppfs above appears to be corrupt. It burns successfully using imgburn (1x) but upon verifcation it fails. I am going to try to switch to DVD+R discs to see if that makes a difference.... I read somewhere that using a SATA DVD drive is supposed to make a difference.... urrrr

back to the drawing board.

has anyone else successfully burnt TOH r2 using ppfs above?

I have downloaded the Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits) torrent, and burned it to a DVD.

When i boot from it, it just restarts after a lot of messages.

(Im a TOTAL noob).

Dont know what to do.

Someone told me to copy the dvd to a partition, and boot from that,

so i got MacDisk, and copied all the data from the dvd, to a partition.

Now when i boot from that, im just getting "Unable to boot", or something like that.

Dont know where to go from here...

One thing I noticed with MacDrive is that it defaults with viewing windows files with the TOH disc this means only 8 files (~180K). If you right mouse click on the drive in explorer it gives you the option to view Mac files.

Make sure you have "show hidden files" displayed in explorer options.

Try copying both types of files if you haven't already.

I'm not sure this will work - You would also need to check the boot priority in your bios and I don't know the best practice with SATA / IDE primary / slave options. have a look here Some older posts were suggesting installing on the IDE only, but many configs are sayings things are working with SATA. Aonce I get the new image I will post back my results.

One thing I noticed with MacDrive is that it defaults with viewing windows files with the TOH disc this means only 8 files (~180K). If you right mouse click on the drive in explorer it gives you the option to view Mac files.

Make sure you have "show hidden files" displayed in explorer options.

Try copying both types of files if you haven't already.

I'm not sure this will work - You would also need to check the boot priority in your bios and I don't know the best practice with SATA / IDE primary / slave options. have a look here Some older posts were suggesting installing on the IDE only, but many configs are sayings things are working with SATA. Aonce I get the new image I will post back my results.

I know this.

The problem is to get the Disk bootable.

I have searched on google, and it seems like the problem is that you cant make a Disk bootable without installing Windows XP on it (In windows), since it installs some kind of boot drivers.

I have been trying to look for some way to make a disk bootble on google, but i cant find any solutions.

Its easy to choose the disk boot priority from the bios, but the system cant boot from a disk without boot drivers on it.. :/

ok I have it booting in safe mode but still not by itself no internet connection yet but at least its booting in safe mode going to try a few things and let you know

I finally got the Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits), burned the DVD, installs perfectly not like the TOH r2 patched disc which I had problems with.....incidently I had to tinker with the IDE HDD jumper settings / reboots ... I got a kernal panic with

mach reboot

error ....

and also the error can not find boot.plist

Don't give up if this happens. i don't think it is the disc.

Just try disconnecting misc(firewire / usb) cords until it works.

I think in my case this was because of a faulty partition or HDD. I swapped it over or unplugged other sata drives.

There was nothing consistent when it did work, except I hit enter when it was starting up.

Another a dozen reboots swapping things around.

So now lepard has finished installation process....BUT the O.S. IS NOT BOOTABLE.

now I will plug back in my main drive with VISTA on it and configure the chain booting with EasyBCD.

ok that didn't work. System boots up to vista loader....

when I select the mac Os X which I pointed to my other drive....

it's now compalining about \NST\nst_mac.mbr missing or corrupt.

no dice grandma.

fortunately there's another post explaining this problem here

Startup EasyBCD > Add/Remove Entries > Add an Entry: MAC Type: Generic x86 > Add Entry > Save

After you have installed Mac Drive and rebooted you search your leopard Systemdisk for boot.efi and copy the file to C:\NST\ (Easy BCD should have created a file named nst_mac.mbr in this folder upon clicking Save)

Reboot - Now you should have a Boot Menue where you can choose to start Windows or Leopard

If there's no file make sure you run the program as administrator.

N.B. more hurdles....this didn't work for me. but according to this post..

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1263

EasyBCD cannot boot to Leopard on an IDE drive!!!

I'm thinking I reinstill to my SATA partition...will try and post results.

Hello,

I have the dvd 10.5.1, when i boot from the dvd, then i can't create partition on my hdd.

i have a error: "I/O error, can't create partion". i see when the dvd boot, my computer say "HDD open write only".

My System: AMD 3800 X2, AM2, nForce550 chipset, 320GB SATA HDD, 2GB RAM

please help me.

thanks

I am getting the same problem. Can not partition the hdd. opening disk utility and tring to erase/partition yeilds a Input / Out put error. Any help with this please!!!

HP DV9000Z CTO

AMD turion 64x2 TL-60

nForce 410/430 MCP

80GB x2 SATA HDD

2GB Ram

Great! This helped me pass the 'create account' hang using Zephyroth's AMD DVD.

However, now it's stuck in a loop logging out after I log in. I've seen this problem in the forums before, but no specific solution mentioned.

Does anyone recognize this?

• 1 month later...