Can't boot into mac os x install dvd, sigh...

jdanowski

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm a new member here on the forums, and I hope to become a another contributer to the x86 project insanelymac itself. Right now though, I've got a problem:

I can't install mac os x86 on my pc, simple as that. Here are my specs: Intel Desktop Board, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GBs of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS (my graphics card), a 500 GB SATA HDD (split into 2 partitions, 1 with XP and the other with Vista on it; Dual Boot! :D ), a 160 GB SATA HDD (empty NTFS partition), 120 GB SATA HDD (also has an empty NTFS partition), a DVD +-RW Drive, and a CD RW Drive. It also has 1 firewire port.

So far, I've downloaded 2 iso's and burned them (they work), but it's when I try to boot them that I get stuck. On one DVD (mac os x 10.4.6) It loads starts to load the installer, when all of a sudden a symbol appears over the apple logo. It never get past this point. On the other DVD, and this is the one I would prefer to intall (mac os x leopard rc2), I boot up the cd, and from the start it does something unexpected. Instead of loading the installer where you see the apple logo, it tries to load it with the option where you see words rushing up the screen, telling about the process (I forget what that option is called :D ). After a certian point, the screen goes blank, then the image reapears in smaller text. Here's the message I get:

Extension "com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0

Next, another mesage appears, this one saying

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full secure

and finally, I get the "still waiting for root device" message, which continues to appear until I shut down the PC.

What do I do?

Regards, John

The text-based boot is normal for ToH Leopard RC2.

"Still waiting for root device" is not.

Try booting ToH Leopard RC2, press f8 to enter boot options, type "-x -v" without quotes and hit enter.

It will take almost 10 minutes, but wait for it. Its possible booting in safe mode ("-x -v") will get you into the installer, but its possible it won't help

EDIT:

"Still waiting for root device" is the same thing as the little (/) symbol over the Apple. It means it can't find a hard drive (or dvd) with a working version of OSX on it to load, as far as I know.

The text-based boot is normal for ToH Leopard RC2.

"Still waiting for root device" is not.

Try booting ToH Leopard RC2, press f8 to enter boot options, type "-x -v" without quotes and hit enter.

It will take almost 10 minutes, but wait for it. Its possible booting in safe mode ("-x -v") will get you into the installer, but its possible it won't help

EDIT:

"Still waiting for root device" is the same thing as the little (/) symbol over the Apple. It means it can't find a hard drive (or dvd) with a working version of OSX on it to load, as far as I know.

I tried what you said and nothing worked. I just thought, would it be possible to extract the DVD image onto one of the spare SATA drives, then boot up the installer from that?

• 4 weeks later...

I too get the "still waiting for root (or is it boot?) device" message with the ToH 10.5 RC2 DVD.

My system is as follows:

CPU: C2D E6550 G0 2.33GHz @ 3.0GHz

MB: GigaByte GA-P35C-DS3R, FSB=1.333GHz @ 1.7GHz

RAM: 2x1GB Kingston 800MHz @ 850MHz (1:1 ratio)

Display: GigaByte 8400GS PCI-E

HD: 2x160, 1x80, 1x400

I get this message when the DVD loads and it stops loading displaying this message.

Is there any way to get the DVD to load?

Thanks a lot.

If you're getting the "still waiting for root device" error, make sure you go into your BIOS and set your hard drives and optical drives to AHCI.

This should help you boot from the DVD.

Also make sure that if there is a C1E option in your BIOS to disable it.

Thank you, but I do have a RAID array.

Is there no way of getting around this? I'm afraid switching back to AHCI will kill my RAID 0 array ;) .

After the installation, is it possible to switch back to RAID?

I don't believe it's possible to use your motherboard's built-in RAID and have any hacked version of

OS X to see it.

If you're getting the "still waiting for root device" error, make sure you go into your BIOS and set your hard drives and optical drives to AHCI.

Thanks.

C1E was already disabled.

I tried setting the ICH9R controller to AHCI as you suggested, but I still get the same error, even when booting with F8 and typing "-x".

I should point out that my DVD-RW drive is connected by IDE to the only IDE port on the board.

I just finished installing on this machine Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (took about three seconds :() and it boots just fine, but I want Leopard :).

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

C1E was already disabled.

I tried setting the ICH9R controller to AHCI as you suggested, but I still get the same error, even when booting with F8 and typing "-x".

I should point out that my DVD-RW drive is connected by IDE to the only IDE port on the board.

I just finished installing on this machine Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (took about three seconds :() and it boots just fine, but I want Leopard :P.

Do you have any other suggestions?

My next step would be to try installing off a SATA DVD drive if you have one available.

I have a dual core xps 410. It has a 320gb hard drive and dvd-rw drives that are both SATA. I got the BrazilMac dvd Leopard image, but when I change my bios to Raid/ATA it still gives me "still waiting for root device." If i try it on Raid On, the same error. I dont think you can set it to ACHI because I do not have that option. My hard drive is also primary too.

Have you guys used the Leopard xps 410 zip package that you can use to modify kexts and make it boot? I have it but I dont know where to start with the readme..

Part 1:

Extract all the files to your Desktop

Edit 9a581-patch.sh file and replace XXX in

APDIR=/Users/XXX/Desktop

DMG="/Users/XXX/Desktop/osx-leopard105.dmg"

with your login name. Save.

Edit 9a581PostPatch.sh and change

PATCH="/Volumes/FLASH/leopatch" # path to the patched extensions <-----

LEO="/Volumes/OSX" # path to Leopard installation |

lines to fit your needs. Save. |

|

copy all these files and folder to the root of /Volumes/FLASH -------------------------------

Part 2:

Copy your original osx-leopard105.dmg to Desktop.

Open terminal and type

cd ~/Desktop

sudo -s

./9a581-patch.sh

Have a break. Have a kitkat.

OK it's finished so unmount osx86dvd and in terminal change permissions for newly created leopard.iso.cdr

chmod 755 leopard.iso.cdr

restore leopard.iso.cdr to /Volumes/Leopard using Disk Utility

Part 3:

Reboot from a working DVD you already have. All 10.4.7+ and kaly 9a527 should be ok.

Open Terminal from Utilities menu and type

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update

f 1 <-------note the space between f and 1

w

y

q

rm -R /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Part 4:

Reboot to BIOS. Change SATA operation to RAID ON and eject DVD.

Restart and hold F8 to enter OSX boot menu. Choose Leopard and Enter

Leopard installer should start so just install it to formated OSX partition (/dev/disk0s1) .

Do not boot your newly installed Leopard. It wont work.

Part 5:

Boot from the DVD again.

Run Terminal from Utilities menu and type

/Volumes/FLASH/9a581PostPatch.sh <-------you will be asked if you want to reboot. press n. you don't.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update

f 1 <-------note the space between f and 1

w

y

q

diskutil unmount disk0s1 <-------

cd /Volumes/FLASH/files/i386 |

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1 |

./startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s1 boot |--watchout for disk0 and rdisk0

bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose |

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 |

bless -mount /Volumes/OSX -setBoot -verbose <-------

Part 6:

Reboot, eject DVD and hold F8 to start Leopard installer again.

Now run Terminal from Utils menu and delete Extensions.mkext

rm -R /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot, enter BIOS and change SATA mode to Autodetect.

Restart and it shold work :)

After every restart during this installation procedure if you have problems booting from DVD or OSX or Leopard partition

just change SATA operation in BIOS and try again.

I dont exactly know how to do all that, and how do you setup the partitions that you should have. Seems like it should be done on osx.

Thanks mate! I set it to AHCI and it worked :angel: