USB Problem

frEEki

17 posts in this topic

I have a problem with USB it seems.

When i connect some USB it wont mounted (any more). It used to be though.

Only thing i changed was adding two more sata devices.

When i boot with my usb device connect everything works fine.

but when i disconnect it and connect again it wont be recognized anymore.

I am using a GA-P35-DS3 mainboard with EFI 5.2 and vanilla 9.1.0 kernel.

Are you saying that you boot off this USB drive and then disconnect it while it is running the OS...and then it doesn't reconnect? (Don't do that :wacko: ) Or are you saying that after you boot it once, shut down, disconnect the drive from its port, and then reconnect it to its port...then it won't reboot? Sorry, if I'm being dense, but I couldn't quite grasp what you are describing.

hehehe

what i mean is:

when i boot with a USB Stick or iPOD connected from the beginning i can use it.

Disconnecting an reconnecting wont bring it back.

Same for any USB device i plug in while Leo runs... doesn't work

hehehe

what i mean is:

when i boot with a USB Stick or iPOD connected from the beginning i can use it.

Disconnecting an reconnecting wont bring it back.

Same for any USB device i plug in while Leo runs... doesn't work

Almost the same problem here ... If I start with a usb device connected it's ok, but if I plug it in after the boot it won't mount.

I installed the 10.5.1 update, replaced the patched kernel (BrazilMac) and some kexts ... before everything was working good.

Does anybody knows what is involved in mounting USB devices? It's very strange ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with usb.

when I bootup with a usb Storage plugged in all works fine ... is there no usb Storage at boot usb Storages will not work.

I have solved this Problem by typing this into a Terminal:

sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

maybe you can create a applescript to run this at boot ....

when I bootup with a usb Storage plugged in all works fine ... is there no usb Storage at boot usb Storages will not work.

This is interesting. I was having a similar problem with not detecting a USB WiFi stick on one computer, and the same mounting issue on my tower.

I "solved" this by adding the -f argument to the boot flags on the boot plist.

Does this script just add a specific kext to the boot routine? The only reason I ask is I would like to keep booting as simple and as fast as possible and I am not sure -f is the best thing to have for every startup. I'd like to hear from anyone if they have an opinion about issues on booting with the -f argument.

I guess alternately what I am asking is also "what do I add to the boot list just to force load specific kexts"?

Mine says 9.0.0 Darwin Kernal but this is the machine at my office, the machine I did at home I will check, if updating to 10.5.1 changes it, how do I put it back ?

be sure to use the right (patched) kernel: 9.1.0 ! (use uname -a)

it was a my problem too.

adding -f flag at com.apple.... not works... because that flag needs to load a file... (pls read macos developer manual online)

(Solved at Spanish subforum http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72112 )

the problem is 99% caused by a differnet kernel (9.0.0) with a kexts files from (9.1.0)...

you need to download your patched mach_kernel propierly and do not replace it with old 1050 kernel...

I just replaced 1051 patched kernel with old 1050 to avoid kernel panics on boot... doing this I lost access to my usb pendrives... after replace 1050 with correct 1051 kernel they began to work.

adding -f flag at com.apple.... not works... because that flag needs to load a file... (pls read macos developer manual online)

(Solved at Spanish subforum http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72112 )

the problem is 99% caused by a differnet kernel (9.0.0) with a kexts files from (9.1.0)...

you need to download your patched mach_kernel propierly and do not replace it with old 1050 kernel...

I just replaced 1051 patched kernel with old 1050 to avoid kernel panics on boot... doing this I lost access to my usb pendrives... after replace 1050 with correct 1051 kernel they began to work.

I don't think people using 10.5.0 will be able to do that... :blink:

As I understand it, the -f flag force loads the kexts w/out reading the existing cache files, thus they load w/out the "last setting".

It seems that once a drive is ejected, it actually ejects the entire port and the ports are then sometimes not read again on restarts because boots the kexts cache file which thinks the port no longer exists - unless its read again while booting as it is then already mounted.

I'll be curious if the problem goes away when I finally jump to 10.5.1 or use EFI.

Anyways, all you have to do to see if this works is just type "-f" after pressing f8 at boot up in the "advanced boot" settings to see if this will work for you. If it does, edit your boot file - if not, then don't!

Since I upgraded to Darwin 9.1.0 from 9.0.0 it fixed my USB problem but now sleep is not working. Anyone running a P5W DH with sleep working, please let me know....I imagine it's just a BIOS setting. My sig is below.

Cheers mates!

[edit] Sleep is working now. I used the Vanilla 9.1.0 kernel from Kalyway's official 10.5.1. Prior to that I was using the 9.1.0 ToH kernel. Thanks everyone! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This works fine for me but I don´t know how tu build a script to be run at boot time...

¿Ideas?

thx