G5 PPC Quad vs. MBP IDC for heavy use, dual or parallel bootie

10 posts in this topic

I've just tossed caution to the wind, and sold my PC on ebay. Now faced with what will replace it, I've got two options, but lack the requisite smartitude to decide.

The given: I need to be able to run AutoCad & Inventor on my new computer, which are beastly programs writ only for windoze (the shame). Now, everything I've seen indicates that people have had good results with those apps running via boot camp and parallels. I have a choice to make:

(Drumroll please!)

Ram, drivespace, & drive speed, & mobility being equal or non-issues, I can have either a bitchin G5 2.5Ghz PPC Quad core tower, or a new MacBook Pro Intel Duo Core at 2.8Ghz.

So, my question is this. To experienced eyes, does one of these systems jump off the page as being far better than the other for running big heavy programs in either Bootie Camp or Parallels?

Thanks for any input!

Pete

The G5 is an awesome machine but being PPC application support is only going to get worse. But unless portability is a necessity I'd go with the top iMac.

Yeah, the quad core had some serious appeal, but I thought there might be a basic compatibility issue there.

An iMac would be great, but they run ATI graphics cards, which have a history of being crashy with Inventor. Seems I'm stuck with nVidia cards, unless I want to get something prancy like an actual CAD Graphics board, but I dunno about popping the iMac apart and wedging one of those in there.

:(

sp

An iMac would be great, but they run ATI graphics cards, which have a history of being crashy with Inventor. Seems I'm stuck with nVidia cards

So it's between the old 24" iMac (7600GT), a Mac Pro, a G5 quad, and Macbook Pro. Get whatever is at the best price, and seems to suit you best.

Well, like stinky finger said if the main apps that you need to run are windows apps you can't get a ppc-based Mac, since it won't run boot camp which in my humblest opinion is the best way to run windows, so I'd advise to consider either an intel-based MacPro or the MBP.

Good Luck