Calling all NForce6 users!

nforcemac

83 posts in this topic

I've tried replacing the OpenGL stuff with that from the RadeonHD drivers and Snes9x still crashes, so I do believe this is caused by the Macbook update. Also for some reason, my card is detected as having 256mb in 10.4.10 but shows the 640mb in 10.4.9 - even if I use the 8800 640mb file from mac.nub's drivers.

Can't get Leopard to install. The DVD kernel panics which seems to be related to the nvidia drivers.

nForcemac,

Awesome work, love the contribution but I was wondering:

Do you have any plans to make updaters/DVDs for nForce4 systems? nForce4 still has a lot of trouble working with OS X so it would be nice if you released something to get it to work.

I've tried replacing the OpenGL stuff with that from the RadeonHD drivers and Snes9x still crashes, so I do believe this is caused by the Macbook update. Also for some reason, my card is detected as having 256mb in 10.4.10 but shows the 640mb in 10.4.9 - even if I use the 8800 640mb file from mac.nub's drivers.

Can't get Leopard to install. The DVD kernel panics which seems to be related to the nvidia drivers.

Thanks for that flibblescan, I have also noticed that my card is reported as 256mb. Although in OpenGL Extensions viewer its reported as 768mb so I assume its working fine. I'm giving up on 10.4.10 because I have had nothing but hassle with it (Breaking full screen OpenGL was a major blow for me!!) So I'm going to focus my development on getting Leopard working for us. I've seen it installed and it can be done. And maybe get us a dual core kernel! :) Stick with me lads we'll get there in the end!

nForcemac,

Awesome work, love the contribution but I was wondering:

Do you have any plans to make updaters/DVDs for nForce4 systems? nForce4 still has a lot of trouble working with OS X so it would be nice if you released something to get it to work.

Thanks! My plan is to now make a Leopard Install DVD for all nforce boards. It will be a simple case of if you have nforce 4 click here sort of thing. I don't have a nforce 4 board to test on so I can't promise anything (Anybody want to donate one pm me!) I only have a Nforce3 and I believe it works reasonable well.

Who's with me then?

Ok guys OpenGL is fixed in Leopard! I suggest we move that way and I'll work on getting a dual core kernel working!Later!

That would be nice if there was a DVD for all nForce models. I believe you can pick up an nForce4 board on eBay for a cheap price.
I've tracked down a firend that can donate a NForce4 and 5 machines to me! Leopard here I come!

Tried to install Leopard earlier and could not get it going. Kept kernel panicking on the NVresman. So I installed the JaS 10.4.8 so I could follow your steps and install your update. That installed fine, but I can't boot into the OS because.... kernel panic on NVresman.

Tried to install Leopard earlier and could not get it going. Kept kernel panicking on the NVresman. So I installed the JaS 10.4.8 so I could follow your steps and install your update. That installed fine, but I can't boot into the OS because.... kernel panic on NVresman.

flibblesan, boot into single user mode and check you device IDs in NVresman. Will have a fix for this in the morning on my website.

Thanks

My OS X wouldn't boot because of a kernel panic in com.apple.geforce.kext

I booted the installation in VMware and went and deleted all nVidia and GeForce graphics kexts (GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, NVDAN##HAL.kexts).

fibblesan, try deleting the NVDAResman kext using MacDrive or VMware and try booting.

flibblesan, boot into single user mode and check you device IDs in NVresman. Will have a fix for this in the morning on my website.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by checking my ID's, sorry. One thing I did which worked was to delete the NVDresman file, then boot to desktop and I ran your NF6 updater. So it appears that the replacement NVDresman you and mac.nub use in your installers contains the right information for my card, but obviously not the default kext (that would explain the panics).

I'm learning as I go along here, heh.

My card is BFG 8800GTS 640MB:

G80 GeForce 8800 GTS:

Chipset Model: G80 GeForce 8800 GTS

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 640 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0193

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinject G80 series 0.0.10c

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display:

Good show! So your sorted now?

Yeah. Installed JaS 10.4.8 from an old IDE DVD drive, then deleted the NVDresman.kext using Transmac. Copied your installer over, ran it and then updated to 10.4.10 keeping the kernel and some kexts (I basically just followed a guide here).

Bought a network card from maplin today as I just can't get the onboard NIC working at all. I had problems getting the ALX883 working properly, so I used the package from the mac.nub DVD and it works fine and gives me input as well as output. So I've got 5.1 output :)

System profiler sees my card as a 640mb, which is right. I still don't understand why mac.nub's DVD installs my card as 256mb even when I use the 640mb patch, but that might be an error.

So I'm happy I got a working Tiger install. Shame I can't get Leopard going yet.

Thanks for all your work and advice so far! A week ago I had no hope of getting OSX running on my nForce board. Now it's running thanks to the people in this thread.

Yeah. Installed JaS 10.4.8 from an old IDE DVD drive, then deleted the NVDresman.kext using Transmac. Copied your installer over, ran it and then updated to 10.4.10 keeping the kernel and some kexts (I basically just followed a guide here).

Bought a network card from maplin today as I just can't get the onboard NIC working at all. I had problems getting the ALX883 working properly, so I used the package from the mac.nub DVD and it works fine and gives me input as well as output. So I've got 5.1 output :)

System profiler sees my card as a 640mb, which is right. I still don't understand why mac.nub's DVD installs my card as 256mb even when I use the 640mb patch, but that might be an error.

So I'm happy I got a working Tiger install. Shame I can't get Leopard going yet.

Thanks for all your work and advice so far! A week ago I had no hope of getting OSX running on my nForce board. Now it's running thanks to the people in this thread.

I think I can safely say your welcome from us all! And I'm working on leopard! Won't be long now! Enjoy!

this is awesome.. now i can finally try it before i buy it...

question though: i'm on an evga 680i-a1 with an evga 7900gs ...do i NEED an 8800 for this to work? i know 7900's are compatible with osx, but is your .dmg only for 8 series?

nforcemac,

i just have a clean install of 10.4.8 (8.8.1 sethmex kernel)

but i cannot boot up my mac os x,

i get the following errors, (briefly, can capture if needed)

i, panic (cpu 1 ... , unresolved kernel trap ...)

and i try to boot up in safe mode

i, my ps/2 keyboard doesn't work, only my usb mouse work (this happened in the install dvd)

ii, i can't boot in safe mode twice ... stuck in loginwindow

what should i do next? thanks!

I'm great full someone has came along with the motivation of helping out the nForce user. I have a eVGA 680i board with leopard installed and everything is working but I can only run it with one core enabled, so a duel core capable kernel would be great!!! Thank you nforcemac!

I'm great full someone has came along with the motivation of helping out the nForce user. I have a eVGA 680i board with leopard installed and everything is working but I can only run it with one core enabled, so a duel core capable kernel would be great!!! Thank you nforcemac!

The only dual-core kernel that I know of is 8.8.1 by Semthex. For some reason the newer kernels don't work. I don't know why they fail... wish I did :censored2:

nforcemac,

i just have a clean install of 10.4.8 (8.8.1 sethmex kernel)

but i cannot boot up my mac os x,

i get the following errors, (briefly, can capture if needed)

i, panic (cpu 1 ... , unresolved kernel trap ...)

and i try to boot up in safe mode

i, my ps/2 keyboard doesn't work, only my usb mouse work (this happened in the install dvd)

ii, i can't boot in safe mode twice ... stuck in loginwindow

what should i do next? thanks!

Morning all!

Really need to see the full kernel panic, you need to have both Ps/2 kb and mouse or both USB not one or the other. as fair as the loginwindow goes post that kernel panic and we'll see whats going on!

awesome.. hopefully there's 100% status in the not so distant future

Here's hoping!

Its cool! Try enabling the second core after the leopard installation and see were that gets you. Post back the results!

The only dual-core kernel that I know of is 8.8.1 by Semthex. For some reason the newer kernels don't work. I don't know why they fail... wish I did :)

I think it has something to do with the way the chipsets work on these boards and due to the major lack of MCP51/55 chipset drivers may be our problem.

no luck!!

cant post up a screenshot yet (don't have a dc in hand)

but i confirm that i can boot in safe mode,

but both ps/2 keyboard and mouse don't work, usb mouse works

i can boot up in vmware normally with 1 core enabled

no luck with two core ...

so what's wrong?

no luck!!

cant post up a screenshot yet (don't have a dc in hand)

but i confirm that i can boot in safe mode,

but both ps/2 keyboard and mouse don't work, usb mouse works

i can boot up in vmware normally with 1 core enabled

no luck with two core ...

so what's wrong?

Sounds like you may be having the same problem that I had. Try doing this:

Keep pressing F8 so you enter the Darwin boot loader, and use the following switches:

-v cpus=1

If you kernal panic, tell us the last kext that it crashed on. As you have an 8 series video card it's likely it's crashing due to NVDAresman.kext (I forgot the exact name). What you then need to do is remove this file. You can do it through Windows if you have Transmac or Macdrive installed. If you don't, then boot from the install dvd then select "Terminal" from the menu at the top, then:

rm -rf /Volumes/TigerHD/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext

replacing TigerHD with the volume name of your Mac hard disk.

Once this file has been removed it should allow you to boot into the desktop. From there you can run the NF6 installer which will update you to 10.4.9 and give you proper video support.

I'm at work now so I'm typing this out of my head. I do apologise if I make a mistake.