Leopard Flat-Image Install guide on any partition size

royco

72 posts in this topic

Ok, This is a a quick install of Leopard using the flat-file available on your favorite download sites. Its becoming very popular but many are having problems because it installs only as a 20GB partition. Workarounds has been made to move it to a bigger partition but requires several hours of work. This guide uses Mac to restore the image (instead of windows originally) and Clonetools Hatchery H1 . Writing the image to the target disk took only 10 minutes. So for those who would like to use this method, read on.

As far as I can tell from the description of the file, it is for Intel SSE3 only.

What do we need.

1. Leopard Flat-Image from the green Demon

2. A Working OSX

3. CloneTools Hatchery H1 software

4. An extra HD where you want to install

Step by Step Instructions

1. Download these 2 files( very useful for cloning mac disks for backup )

- Hatchery H1

- OSx86_pframe (only if you are running a hackintosh, you need to install this first)

http://nicemac.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ab...amp;topic=323.0

- Install the OSx86_pframe first before Hatchery H1

2. Partition the target Drive to whatever you want with Disk Utility (Make sure Master boot record is selected in the options)You might want to name the disk anything but Leopard to prevent confusion in the next steps.

3. Now extract your Leopard-x86.rar to the desktop.( Suffit opened it up for me)

4. Change extension to .img (will look like "leopard-x86-flat-img.img")

++++++++ At this point it is important to disconnect your USB drives so you dont clone on some partition accidentally++++++

5. Run Hatchery H1

6. Click mount image button under Source HD, Select the flat image you renamed to .img then click open, then select this on the drop down menu( usually named Leopard )

7. Under Clone HD select your destination partition that you just made under Disk utility( if you named your partition Leopard you will see 2 leopards in the selection, try go back and rename one to something different)

- Make sure the the entry ARCH should show your current mac, Hackintosh for me ofcourse

8. Click HATCH to run, enter password, it will ask you to erase the target partition, click erase

- 10 minutes later you have your Leopard disk, Quit Hatchery.

- At this point you may want to delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions/ in your Leopard install to prevent HPET errors described below.

9. Reboot to your new install.

Booting Problems? Try this.

Boot back to your original OSX install ( Tiger I guess), open terminal and type the commands in

sudo -s

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskN

- where N is your Disk number, you can find it on disk utility, click on the target drive( not the partition) and click info, look for Disk identifier( just replace the N).

Flag X

- where X is your partition number, 1 for first and 2 for second and so on.

Update

Write

- it may say something about needing a reboot to make the changes, press Y for yes

Quit

Reboot your computer.

TroubleShooting your install------------------

# Package 0 didn't get an HPET Problem - You have to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the extensions folder. Go back to your Tiger install and point to the Leopard drive and delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions . Make sure you delete the one from your Leopard drive and not the one from your Tiger install. Now go one folder up to /System/Library and delete Extensions.mkext. Reboot.

-----------------------------------

Obviously, this is not the ideal way of getting OSX86 installed( DVD still seems best) but if you just want a super quick install and try out Leopard then this is it (atleast until a JAS, UPhuck Kalyway or XxX dvd comes out)

My hardware is in my sig, everything worked 100% after patching yukon2.kext. If you have the same board you will find some very good info in Conroe mac's thread here

I will try to answer your questions but as we all know different hardware will yield different results so.. you have to do some figuring out on your own.

Asus P5w deluxe and dell 6400 succes ;) both booted well! all hardware worked :P

have just 1 thing to say

mounting the disk img.img via hatch did not work for me so i mounted the img file under toast then was i able to select it in hatch.

but for the rest a great guide :) thanks a lot!!

It worked for me following the instructions, everything seems to work, only about this mac, will basically crash the computer. for the rest it seems to work fine.

One question though, I have installed this on a second hard drive, the first contains a triple boot configuration, Vista, XP and OSX 10.4.8.

I was only able to boot from Leopard by setting the second disk (the one with the Leopard partition) as master, then it boots straight into Leopard, but of course it would be much better if Leopard could load on the second disk, from a boot loader, (I use the Vista boot loader).

Any Idea ?

I installed it successfully.. yesterday all was ok but today.. I'm not able to boot up! It shows me the apple logo and the loading circle.. but it don't boot into leopard! what can I do ?? thanks

Hit F8 and enter verbose mode (-v) see what errors you're getting and post back.

Package 0 didn't get an HPET..

what does it mean??

# Package 0 didn't get an HPET Problem - You have to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the extensions folder. Go back to your Tiger install and point to the Leopard drive and delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions . Make sure you delete the one from your Leopard drive and not the one from your Tiger install. Now go one folder up to /System/Library and delete Extensions.mkext. Reboot.

### Guide Updated ###

Ok.... I downloaded the .img, cloned to a new hard disk, and..... DOH! It works perfectly!!! WITHOUT ANY PATCH! I mean: cloned the flat image, but did nothing (no new kernel, no add/remove kexts etc), and my Notebook is now running the Leo :D

Much better than the 10.4.8: out of the box works everything! Airport, SOUND, Graphics with Quartz (Intel 940GmL), System Profiler, About This Mac, trackpad. It's very fast... and my Notebook is a Celeron :)

Great, great, great! Thank you :D Only, finder menus aren't available in Italian... but I could survive to this.. eeheheh.

Reboot your computer.

TroubleShooting your install------------------

how do I do this without having a tiger install?

how do I do this without having a tiger install?
  • Boot to Leopard, Press F8 before the gray apple logo appears
  • type : -s
  • type: mount uw /
  • type: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • type: reboot

If you can access your OSX drive from windows via MacDrive then you can also delete from there.Repair permissions when you get back into Leopard.

"unable to determine UUID for host. Error 35" Anyone knows how to fix this "error" or persistent message on console
Im also having this error in the console but dont know yet what is causing it. Seems to be a problem with most OSX86 releases.

Hi, im not speak english but im try.

im having the next errorrs in the console:

GFX0: family specifing matching fails

display: family specifing matching fails

dsmos: Initializing...

dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

dsmos: starting

fregisters ar 0x3b249000

Login window aplication start

Nov 4 09:27:55 localhost mds[20]: (/.Spotlight-v100/Store-V1/Stores/0BB2676D-D31E-4D41-85A7-03042455B9B9)(Error) IndexCI in Content IndexOpenBulk:No index

Nov 4 09:27:55 localhost configd[32]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update plataform UUID

I think that the follow lines are the error:

My laptop is a vaio FZ-140E

Intel 965g (Intel Extremme Graphics x3100)

Intel Core 2 Duo 7100

1024 MB

I'm having "still waiting for root device" message on load.Any ideas how to fix it?
What Hardware do you have?
Does anyone know what the root user password is on this so I can add myself everytime I try to sudo, it asks for password.
It should be the same as your user password.

I am getting the "Package 0 didnt have HPET" error message after using the flat image.

I have hit F8 at the darwin screen and got to the boot prompt. Entering "-s" sends me into a verbose boot where I continuously see the message.

Is there another way to do this or am I missing something? Would I be able to remove the file from an Ubuntu Live CD?

Ok, I have done this with MacDrive and rebooted. Now the installer just seems to hang after the jnl: unknown-dev message

enteck, what hardware do you have? Have you successfully installed OSX86 previously on this hardware?

Hi guys... (first timer here)...

I have Vista on one HDD and now Leopard on the other. I installed using the Flat-Image method and I also get the "Package 0 didn't get an HPET"...

I read in the instructions that you need to erase a file. How can I do it if I only have Vista and can't boot Leopard. If I use F8 before the logo, and type -s in the boot: prompt, after I press enter the booting process continues and doesn't allow me to type the following commands (mount, rm -rf, reboot). How can I go about to delete the file, what am I doing wrong?

Help will be greatly appreciated people..!

Best regards,

Chale