Vista Boot times

homers

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I have Windows Vista Ultimate. My boot times are horrible. On mac it takes seconds to boot but on Vista it can take 5 minutes and I have a very high spec PC.

At the loading bar bit it can take anything between 15 and 30 bars. After that sometimes a black screen will show for about 3 minutes and then it will load the boot screen and then once I am logged in (I have 3 things checked in MSCONFIG) it still takes a while.

What does the boot times depend on. My drive is defragged with Diskeeper Pro Premier and still very slow.

Can anyone help me speed it up?

Thanks

Hi

I have Windows Vista Ultimate. My boot times are horrible. On mac it takes seconds to boot but on Vista it can take 5 minutes and I have a very high spec PC.

At the loading bar bit it can take anything between 15 and 30 bars. After that sometimes a black screen will show for about 3 minutes and then it will load the boot screen and then once I am logged in (I have 3 things checked in MSCONFIG) it still takes a while.

What does the boot times depend on. My drive is defragged with Diskeeper Pro Premier and still very slow.

Can anyone help me speed it up?

Thanks

There is a program called Autorun and Process Monitor , use that to check what's really happening to your system.

HTH

Vista should boot in around 60 seconds. The only thing that is for sure is that you have a problem. The best solution may be to re-install Vista. In my experience is often quicker to do a format and clean install rather than endless tweaking. If after a clean install Vista is not booting up in around 60 seconds, you'll need to look at your hardware. HTH

OS X always seems to boot faster for me, but your times are definitely too long. Try a reinstall. You can save a lot of time by getting rid of any programs you find autolaunching or in the systray.

Most definitely something wrong...

Clean install best way to go...

If that doesn't work, try a re-seat of RAM, HDD, and any internal perifs (such as wireless cards).

I also have a high end system running 64 Vista and I believe you may have the same issues I seem to be having. Do a Google search for:

"svchost.exe" (Host Process for Windows Services)

If you where to start your Windows Task Manger and click on the Processes tab, search for the svchost.exe instances. These files, on my system, chew up my processor and hard drive every time when I first boot and takes several minutes to stop before I have full processor power to work with. I researched several expalnation. Downloaded software and even made Vista tweaks but ALL to no avail.

Hopefully this helps you out. If you have these same issues and are able to fix it, please post here so I can give it a try.

Good Luck!