Old iPod, New UI

Numberzz

19 posts in this topic

Today, hackers released a program that installs the new iPod UI on the old 5.5 and 5G iPods. This mod doesn't install the new version of the iPod OS, but it changes the firmware that is on your current iPod, so you could potentially screw it up. ;) Now if I could just find my old iPod I will report back to you.

ipodclassicui10142007.jpg

Full Story

Mod Your iPod!

Wow, hey everyone. I've been here for awhile, and I'm actually one of the people that was behind making this.

Never really thought it would be so popular.

If anyone has questions about installation/anything else, just let me know.

I'll be more than glad to help. Insanelymac has done a ton for me.

Edit:

Take it from me, since I was one of the developers of it and all.

This cannot, and will not brick your iPod.

The worst case scenario is an endless reboot. It can be solved by holding the center+play button while it's booting, and it will boot into disk mode.

Drag your music/videos/whatever onto your desktop, and restore via iTunes.

(Or if you were smart and made a backup using iPodWizard, you can just load it and not have to restore at all.)

I tried this on my 5.5G via Parallels, and it's {censored}ed my iPod. I have a logo onscreen with a iPod dock connector logo and an arrow pointing away from the front, as if I'm meant to plug it in.

After plugging in, nothing happens. With or without cable, I can't restart or get into boot mode. Just frozen on the screen.

The backlight is on, but dimmed.

Any ideas?

Edit: After letting it sit there for hours, and letting the battery drain, it died, and I can now boot up and use it normally. Thanks!

Its a simple install. Just select the firmware file and write it to your ipod with ipodwizard or alterpod. I used alterpod (on my macpod) about 10 minutes ago on my old g3 iMac because it doesnt like leopard, and backed up and wrote the new firmware, and so far I'm pleasantly suprised.

The interface has a few minor bugs, but its not sluggish and so far its kinda fun to look at. We'll see how long that lasts ;)

Its a simple install. Just select the firmware file and write it to your ipod with ipodwizard or alterpod. I used alterpod (on my macpod) about 10 minutes ago on my old g3 iMac because it doesnt like leopard, and backed up and wrote the new firmware, and so far I'm pleasantly suprised.

The interface has a few minor bugs, but its not sluggish and so far its kinda fun to look at. We'll see how long that lasts ;)

where are you getting the firmware.

EDIT never mind i didnt realize the 5.5g file was the firmware. but.

it doesnt work. it just has a Connect to dock logo. like tomozj

2nd EDIT got a fix if you get the "Plug in" Icon.Plug it in, then reboot it with holding the center button and menu button simultaneously. Once its rebooting IMMEDIATELY Press and hold the Play and center button simultaneously then it will go into disk mode. Reboot again with it plugged in. do not unplug until it is detected in iTunes

There you go.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
might sound like an idiot but where is the 5.5g download?

This thread is over 2 years old...

But to answer your question:

5G:

http://rapidshare.com/files/62552350/Class...refor5Gv1.0.zip

5.5G:

http://rapidshare.com/files/62583102/Class...r5.5Gv1.0.2.zip

The webpage:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071011034954/...design/classic/

I love archive.org :)

• 5 months later...