Good upgrades for my iMac G3 350

5 posts in this topic

This probably sounds crazy but what would be some good upgrades for my iMac G3 350.

Or should I even waste the money, I don’t want to spend over $100.

Current specs are:

350mHz PowerPC G3

Unupgradeable Ati 3D RageVR 8MB VRAM over clocked 85mHz with fan 100mHz (stock 72mHz)

1 yr. old 40GB 7200rpm Western Digital Hard Disk

512MB SDRAM PC133 (2x256)

24x CD-ROM

Internal original Airport 802.11b

Original keyboard from 1998

Some old usb ball mouse for a PC

I already want to get the new silver iMac keyboard and wired mighty mouse.

Also if I were to upgrade my CD-ROM to DVD can my iMac even play DVDs at full fps?

Because when I play ipod video formatted podcasts in MPEG4 they don’t even play at full fps when I set my monitor to thousands of colors at 1024x768 and for. avi 800x600.

This probably sounds crazy but what would be some good upgrades for my iMac G3 350.

Or should I even waste the money, I don’t want to spend over $100.

...snip...

Also if I were to upgrade my CD-ROM to DVD can my iMac even play DVDs at full fps?

Because when I play ipod video formatted podcasts in MPEG4 they don’t even play at full fps when I set my monitor to thousands of colors at 1024x768 and for. avi 800x600.

Mpeg4 is something different than the mpeg2 streams so a direct comparison is not possible for mpeg2 playback. I wouldn't count on full speed DVD playback on a G3 at 350Mhz as my old G4 at 477Mhz wasn't able to do either with the Rage128Mb AGP. With an Ati 6800Pro it still wasn't but with a 1.2Ghz G4 cpu upgrade it was.

Don't waste your money I say.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a g3 400 mhz and 320 mb ram and with the ati rage card and i plays dvd at full speed.

Just install 1 gb memory and you will be fine (i can type smoothly in office 2004 and play itunes music through a network at the same time (under mac os x))

I use that imac for working and it does the job quite good (and i suppose if you have 1 gb ram, it will be very fine)