Looking for a well supported Macbook distro...

LiquidSpikes

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro and I am looking for a good Linux OS to drop on it.

Specs are....

2.4 Ghz Core 2 duo

4 GB of 667 PNY ram

Nvidia 8600mGT with 256mb GDDR3 ram

and 7200rpm 160GB harddrive

so here are the distros I have tried so far....

Fedora 7 - Wont install because it cannot find the install media after you start the kernel :D

Debian 4.0 "Etch" - doesn't seem to have any network connectivity, wireless or NIC and fails to find install media

Mepis 7.0 beta 4 - Will not install to the Partition assigned its something glitchy with Mactel and mepis it will only install on MS DOS Partitions on macs......

Sabayon Linux 3.4F - cannot get past the splash screen :(

Please I am dying here!

I need my Linux fix! :(

I heard an interview with Warren Woodford a few months ago espousing the benefits of SimplyMEPIS. He claimed SimplyMEPIS was the only distro that came with an installer for a MacTel. This was before 7.0 Beta. I think it was SimplyMEPIS 6.5. I'd recommend taking another look at their web site (and forums).

Looking for a well supported Macbook distro

sorry man but this is really stupid phrase...i mean you can roll linux on anything...

you just need good skills ... ;)

~R

Sabayon Linux 3.4F - cannot get past the splash screen :(

Which one did you download? The 32 or the 64 bit version? For some reason with Sabayon that seems to be much more important than usual.

Also I believe that openSUSE supports Mac hardware quite well.

sorry man but this is really stupid phrase...i mean you can roll linux on anything...

you just need good skills ... :)

~R

It's not stupid at all. I believe what he is looking for is a distro that support the Macbook's hardware out of the box instead of having to hunt down and install drivers. Similar to how people look for a good OSx86 distro that supports all of their hardware without too much extra work. What's wrong with looking for an OS that's not a pain in the ass to install?

Which one did you download? The 32 or the 64 bit version? For some reason with Sabayon that seems to be much more important than usual.

Also I believe that openSUSE supports Mac hardware quite well.

I downloaded the x86 (32 bit) version of Sabayon...

I heard an interview with Warren Woodford a few months ago espousing the benefits of SimplyMEPIS. He claimed SimplyMEPIS was the only distro that came with an installer for a MacTel. This was before 7.0 Beta. I think it was SimplyMEPIS 6.5. I'd recommend taking another look at their web site (and forums).

SimplyMepis 6.5 32-bit doesnt seem to find the hard drive....:thumbsup_anim:

Ayanami!!!

the Elive Distro is GREAT!

it was exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you Ayanami! :thumbsup_anim:

and Thanks to everyone else for your opinions!!

You know, Ubuntu is well worth taking a look. Its strength lies in the user community -- there are so many dedicated folks using Ubuntu on their MacBooks that support is incredibly good. Check out Ubuntu's forums for more. They have really detailed and easy to follow howtos on everything you might want to get working on the MacBook.