Anyone ever been caught

waradmin

16 posts in this topic

Curious to know before I try to download the new 10.4.8 with 10.4.9 patch ISO if anyone has ever gotten caught downloading OS X86 before. Last year at my college I got caught by some companies for downloading games and I am wondering if there is as much of risk in downloading this. Note that through out last year at school I downloaded around 100GB of content in torrent form, and got caught for about 2GB of it.

Let me know so I know whether to fire azureus up!

Apple doesn't actively monitor downloads of OSx86 like some other companies do. I've even used my real information in the registration dialogs with no problems (although I've used the same info on many real macs as well). I don't think Apple (currently) has any way to tell the difference between real Macs and Hackintoshes when you submit that info.

Interestingly enough, the two companies (Blizzard and Lucas Arts) sent legal notices to my university telling them they my IP was detected violating DMCA laws by downloading their software illegally. My network connection (port in my dorm) was shut off, and I had to attend a meeting with the other people who were caught doing activities similar to this (about 11 of us or so). Their 'crimes' ranged from downloading music to what I was there for. At my university around 5000 people live on campus, and they have these network usage meetings every WEEK because this happens so often on our campus. After the meeting, my port was turned back on. However, next violation is 2 weeks without network, and a $100 fine, 3rd strike is possible expulsion removal from the network and even the school.

If I was ever caught downloading what I normally download, I'd be in SOOOOOOO much trouble.

*ahem*hentai*ahem*

But no, never caught, and don't plan to EVER be. I wouldn't be foolish enough to do something like that on a network that isn't mine.

Freshman year, 2.5MB/Sec upload speed, 1MB/Sec download speed, I was caught up in what I was doing. I didn't think they would get me for games, I thought it was mostly a music thing but I was wrong. Last year is the year the industries started targeting our campus, in the previous years at MOST, 50 people per YEAR were busted. In the first semester alone last year (the crackdown year), around 400 people were caught.

I am always sure to remove anything from my uploads folder to prevent upload "sharing" from occuring, that way they can't catch me. ;)

that's what people call leeching, a bad thing for any p2p network ^_^

usually they track downloads of movies and music, more seldom games, i think osx will not be under strike for some time

also to protect someones ass torrent files and files inside can be named in non-readable-for-everyone form i.e. "mos410tst1.rar" for "Mac OS X 10.4.10 test 1" and even secured by some password, visible only to registered users here

that's what people call leeching, a bad thing for any p2p network ;)

usually they track downloads of movies and music, more seldom games, i think osx will not be under strike for some time

also to protect someones ass torrent files and files inside can be named in non-readable-for-everyone form i.e. "mos410tst1.rar" for "Mac OS X 10.4.10 test 1" and even secured by some password, visible only to registered users here

I don't like leeching, but i have to if i am going to protect my butt on this.. if there is a safe way to do this without getting caught, i'd share everything.

I downloaded OSx86 off BitTorrent, and I got an e-mail from my college's IT team, telling me that what I downloaded was illegal. The told me to remove the file. I e-mailed them back and told them I deleted the file. After that, I never got any response.

except for news server's logs :rolleyes:

also most good servers are not free :(

News servers generally do not log downloads, only uploads. Either way though, they are much harder to trace than BitTorrent or other P2P apps, and you generally get much better download speeds. Its true that good servers aren't free, but considering all you get access to, they are more than worth the minimal investment. I get unlimited downloads for $14.75 a month with Agent Premium News.

Its not that I can't afford to pay the penalty, but I was simply wondering if anyone has gotten caught so I don't need to pay a penalty. My university does NOT log downloads, they could care less about what we download and how. However, if a legal company sends the university a legal notice they have no choice but to act. So I was wondering if anyone has been reported by a legal company for downloading OS X specifically.