single-button mighty mouse

mighty mouse buttons  

25 members have voted

1. 1. did you know that the mighty mouse has distinct (but hidden) left and right buttons?

• yes
    • no
    • you're dumb

14 posts in this topic

aaggghhh.

so i have been reading all over the place that the mighty mouse only has one button, and that this annoys people. however, when i start up in windows (dual boot imac), sometimes when i clicked i would get the right click menu. i was like "why...?" But later when i went into the mac os x system preferences for the mouse, surprise surprise, there was an option for the right click. However, the right click and the left click are configured as a single left click by default.

to make a long story short, it does have just as many buttons as other mouses (more if you include sideways scroll and the expose side buttons).

did you know?

now if theyd only put that function on the touchpad button of their notebooks id think they had made some improvement towards functionality rather than just trying to be unique with the single click button. and yeah i know they have two finger click. but why waste that huge button area.

The right click doesn't work very well on the Mighty Mouse (sometimes it doesn't register), and it doesn't really fit the human hand either. Apple mice suck, that's a well known fact. I use a standard Microsoft mouse which fits the hand perfectly and also has a driver that saves you from Apples horribly lazy (or rather drunken) mouse acceleration (yes, I have tried usb overdrive and that mouse fix that are supposed to fix this problem, but they actually made the mouse feel worse).

Huh...I never had a problem with the feel of Apple's mice. The right click working all the time....I can agree with you there.

And to be honest, I love the two finger right click. It saves me tons of time. Really. I'm serious.

Sometimes i accidentally activate the squeeze, which bugs me. Personally, I use a logitech trackball. That way, I can have movement over the entire screen without a large desk area, and without picking the mouse up (a real problem when dragging stuff, imo).

functionality aside, the mighty mouse does look pretty cool. goes with the whole look.

And to be honest, I love the two finger right click. It saves me tons of time. Really. I'm serious.

i agree that the 2 finger right click is a bloody great idea. i wish all notebooks had it. but look below that trackpad and youll see an enormous dinosaur of a button which has only 1 function. i see more in its future though. after all theyre going after the windows market.

I don't know though....

Apple seems to like having one seemingly plain thing do a whole lot. For example;

Click wheel. One touch sensitive circle with a button in the middle. It works incredibly for the iPods. I mean, hell...You can play solitaire on them.

Apple Remote. Pretty similar to the Click Wheel...Pack as much function into those 6 buttons as you can.

I don't think we'll see any change to the touchpad anytime soon. If they do, it'll be just like the mice are right now. It'll have an assignable secondary command that won't be immediately obvious while looking at it.

What might be really cool is if they assigned the right side to be a scroll slide function like most Windows laptops we see regularly. Or at least better Windows drivers for the Apple touchpads.

I use an Apple Pro black mouse for my iMac, a Logitech MX 1000 for my Quicksilver, a Logitech cordless ball mouse for my Sawtooth, an Apple ADB II mouse for my B&W, and my normal trackpad for my Pismo. I will admit, the MX 1000 is the best mouse i have ever used to date.

I used to use the Apple puck mouse and those things were garbage. Along with an Intellimouse Optical from Microcrap.

I don't think we'll see any change to the touchpad anytime soon. If they do, it'll be just like the mice are right now. It'll have an assignable secondary command that won't be immediately obvious while looking at it.

What might be really cool is if they assigned the right side to be a scroll slide function like most Windows laptops we see regularly. Or at least better Windows drivers for the Apple touchpads.

thats the idea im talking about. just move your finger to the right of the big button for the right click. easy right.

you can scroll now by putting two fingers on the trackpad at the same time and moving them up or down. it works well. better than the windows side scroll in my opinion.