Gigabyte P35-DS3R Thread

Appleseed

43 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share my delight at a completely functional Gigabyte DS3R P35 / ICH9 chipset w/QuadCore.

Board: Gigabyte P35 DS3R / ICH9

CPU: C2Quad 6600 @ 2.4Ghz

Mem: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800

GPU: eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256MB PCIe

HD: Seagate 320GB Sata *

DVD: IDE based burner

OS: 10.4.8 JaS (ppf1 & ppf2) installing Only the Intel patches, no additional drivers from the install DVD

Video Drivers: After install/reboot.... Titan Nvidia (latest build as of 8/30/07)

**see caveat below

Audio Drivers: After install/reboot.... Find the ALC889 Kexts linked in these forums.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry436207

*** simple installation instructions below

LAN Drivers: After install/reboot.... Opensource RT8xxx Linux driver port at sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT the RT1xxx_1.02.pkg driver install found on another OSX86 site. You'll regret it. Use the opensource lan driver linked above.

QE / CI fully supported (it flys too!)

2ch audio out

line-in mic

working LAN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* You must connect your sata HD to the -First- Orange SATA port during install.

Also, there is a bug in 10.4.8 disk utility which will not acknowledge drives larger than 128GB. Either live with the reduced capacity, or partition your drive using gparted live cd or a legit mac or a linux box. Formatting at 128GB using disk utility Does work/boot, but leaves the rest of the drive as free space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** eVGA 7800GT + Titan caveat: On my setup there is an odd procedure I must follow at boot/restart time. I MUST 'prime the pump' or the video driver will fail to load just before the desktop appears. It's really quite a simple and reliable workaround. When restarting / booting... I must kill the power at the PSU (unplug/switch off). Then I must hit the computer's power switch while unpowered. This makes my fans twitch briefly, then stop. Turn the PSU power back on and you're good to go everytime. There's some kind of persistant state on the board or gpu which requires discharge. If this is not done, the video driver will hang every single time, requiring shutdown and the procedure above.

*** to install the kext files for 889a audio:

Drop the two kext files into "/System/Library/Extensions/" (authenticate w/password).

Then, open a Teminal & do the following:

# sudo -s

# chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

# rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

# kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

# reboot

Long story short... my Hac Pro Quad is absolutely smokin' fast... except there's room for improvement in the sata department. IDE does however work.. at least for my DVD drive. This P35 is as compatible as my ol' 915GL when it's all said and done.

Super nice OC'er mobo too!

Hello,

I was wondering if you have come across a problem

when shutting down the computer? When I shutdown the computer it shuts down but then restarts again by itself! I can't figure this one out, I have a q6600 2.4, P35-DS3R motherboard, with the Uphuck 10.4.9 operating system.

Any help would be great!

Miro30

Just for people that dont like to restart when installing .kext do following

1. just drag&drop your .kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ (it will ask for admin password)

2. repair premissions

3. sudo kextload -t /Volumes/"yoursOSX"/System/Library/Extensions/"name_of_kext".kext

4. sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

That should be it You dont need to restart and kext should be loaded

I am currently looking for a new desktop as I don't trust my laptop anymore for gaming/downloading all day... (got overheated and is in RMA). So I was also looking for the whole OSx86 project as I liekd it on my laptop as well (and I am done with windows... bleh!).

I will wait for some more news/guides/experiences with Leopard first, but I already do have 2 questions:

1. Is some1 already running Leopard on this board? Don't think it will have much trouble as the support is good yet.

2. Does S/PDIF out work (or at least 5.1 analog out) to enjoy listening to my Logitech Z-5450 speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I've a GA-P35-DS3 mobo. Anyone can help me with a SATA ports problem?

This MB has 4 Orange SATA ports leaded by ICH9 and two Purple Ports Leaded by Gigabyte (or Jmicron, still can't understand).

In System profiler I'm able to see only Two of the Four orange ports. :)

I've tried: Jas - XXX - Chaosx86. Still got this problem. Any link to kext edit? I think the key to solve the problem is here.

Many Thanks

There's a flat leopard image on the green d, that you can restore to a hdd and just use! it comes with a way for pc users to add a boot loader to the disk so it'll actually boot. I restored the image to a second hdd from tiger using clone tool hatchery (with the pframe extras) which will automagically make an image restore bootable!

There's a flat leopard image on the green d, that you can restore to a hdd and just use! it comes with a way for pc users to add a boot loader to the disk so it'll actually boot. I restored the image to a second hdd from tiger using clone tool hatchery (with the pframe extras) which will automagically make an image restore bootable!

Can you share how you got this to boot? I've tried EVERYTHING...

Can you share how you got this to boot? I've tried EVERYTHING...

i installed leopard from my tiger installation, to a second hard drive. i expanded the 2.5gb img rar found in the download, it ended up at about 16.5gb. I then used "clone tool hatchery" to write the image to the second hard drive. the trick is you have to install clone tool's "clone tool hatchery OSx86_pframe" addition script first which enables clone tool to make bootable clones

• 1 month later...
How bout someone post the actual kexts that work on rapidshare for everyone else. This is really necessary to save us all the time of reading pointless posts trying to find a driver 38 people have already found and used.

Here's a pack of kexts I used today in my 10.4.11 experimental install, and these allowed me to have Tiger working 100% quickly.

Includes:

SPU: AppleHDA

GPU: NVInject for NVidia cards

NPU: RealtekR1000.kext

KB/Mouse: ApplePS2Controller

PC_EFI v8.0

It's a stock installation other than those kexts, plus PC_EFI, and a modified AppleSMBIOS.

Note: I'm not going to provide support for this pack. You should know what you're doing with these kexts. If not, search the forums on how to install kexts. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5vvvmnjyg2m

Thankyou so much!!

I'll try them today and post results. And maybe a little guide for people not in the know ;)

One more question - the ICH9R Sata controller and the Jmicron (or is it gigabyte?), at the moment I only have Generic AHCI coming from the IHC9 and nothing from the Gigabyte (the purple ones). When I originally installed 10.4.10 i did, then I installed the driver pack and lost the kext files somewhere along the line.

What kexts are you guys using for you AHCI controllers?

Have any of you guys experienced choppy video playback with Quicktime and FCP? I get frame drops and stuttery out of sync video on my hack.

GA-P35-DS3L, Q6600 @ 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, 7300 GS. I am using AHCI and I am getting a disk xbench rating of 85, which I am thinking might be to blame. I am running Koolkal 10.4.10 updated to a real 10.4.11 through a method where you preserve your SMBIOS and other critical extensions while updating. That worked great by the way.

The stuttery video playback problem was there before that update tho, so I can't blame that.

Could it be the AzaliaAudio kexts causing this?

And has anyone with Leopard experienced this issue? Probably read through everything on this forum possibly relating to this issue and haven't found any answers - but I have seen some other people complaining about choppy video playback.

could someone who is getting decent disk access scores post the bios settings/os version/kexts they used.I have a P35C-DS3R and I'm using the ICH9 ports with a seagate sata hdd. I get a disk score of about 30 total in xbench. I've tried with native mode both on and off and it makes no difference. Any ideas?

could someone who is getting decent disk access scores post the bios settings/os version/kexts they used.I have a P35C-DS3R and I'm using the ICH9 ports with a seagate sata hdd. I get a disk score of about 30 total in xbench. I've tried with native mode both on and off and it makes no difference. Any ideas?

For my GA-P35-DS3R, with Jas 10.4.8 -> 11 or XxX 10.4.10. JMicron is needed.

Bios setting (version F9)

For Yellow port : SATA RAID/AHCI Mode = AHCI and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode = Enabled

For Purple port : Onboard SATA/IDE Device = Enabled and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode = IDE

Connect the hdd on master port.

With a Maxtor sata hdd, my Xbench Disk Test is between 60 and 75 (Xbench is not stable :) ). It's the same score as the original PowerMac 2x2GHz where the disk come from.

For the Bios, read the ;) manual !

Interestingly enough, I was able to almost double my score to 50 by using a Maxtor native IDE drive with an IDE to SATA adapter. For some reason it outperforms my native SATA drives (I have a Samsung and a Seagate). Does drive brand have anything to do with performance? Real Macs supposedly use Western Digital and Maxtor drives. Perhaps upgrading to one of these manufacturers might help? Does anyone see a correlation between brand and speed?