Gigabyte P35-S3L

17 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

What do you think about the Gigabyte P35-S3L? It looks to be fairly similar to the DS3 except it has the older audio chipset, but the benifit is that people had the ACL888 fully functional!

I'm thinking about using this board on a Q6600 (GO) system, what do you think?

From reading it should work just like the DS3 but with HDA.

Cheers.

Yes

MSI p35 platinium seems also a good choice with ALC888, RTL8111B lan, firewire, raid, five sata ports, support for DDR2 and DDR3 very good overclocking

do you think that it is possible to boot install dvd with IDE drive with ICH9 chipset?

thank's

The ALC889a sound is working now!

Take a look here

At least the 2 channel-out is working like a charm.

Regarding the Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L versus the DS3 or DS4 variants:

I compared a lot of mobos prior to buying my first configuration. I think I did well because it runs like hell - and now, with the 2ch-out working I can't complain about anything rather than the case and not have the ability to upgrade without tweaking. But there has to be a price to pay when saving over $1000.

Back to the mobos: If the $30-$40 don't hurt you, go for the DS4. There isn't much difference regarding the features that are built in. Not when using for a hackintosh. But the DS4 comes with these huge heatpipes and cooler on the chipsets. And they really take alot of heat away from the board. Especially when you are in overclocking you will be lucky you've spent the money.

And for me, the 3 integrated FW400-ports are worth the money alone.

If you're concerned about sound, then go for a $5 USB soundstick off ebay. It'll give you the input you need until the 889a is fully working.

This should be only a matter of time. And as I said before in different posts:

If rtant for someone he really should go for an external device that offers better quality than the onboard soundsets.

Don't you think it is more important to have a mainboard that gives you best tweaking and tuning opportunities rather than a working SPDIF? :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

What do you think about the Gigabyte P35-S3L? It looks to be fairly similar to the DS3 except it has the older audio chipset, but the benifit is that people had the ACL888 fully functional!

I'm thinking about using this board on a Q6600 (GO) system, what do you think?

Even though this may come a bit late, ALC889A is fully functional now :censored2: At least from what i've read that is, i've only tried 2ch out + mic, which both work flawlessly.

I like my Gigabyte P35-DS4 quite a lot, 20% overclock without increasing voltages at all! Hehe, still to push it to its limit but haven't had time to do so yet :P

• 1 month later...

Using skippyretard's alc888 package and adding the dev ids above, I now have basic line-out (and apparently line-in) working. My front panel audio does nothing. There are no options for multichannel/optical/spdif in sound options.

All I'm really concerned about is getting the front panel audio working for headphones. My case had multiple connectors for audio, including HDA, AC97, and Azalia. I have it connected to my ds3l's f_audio header using HDA... is this correct? I was under the impression this is an HDA driver.

Is skippyretard's alc888 the right driver for what I'm after?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble getting sound to work on my P35-DS3L. I'm pretty sure its ICH9. Has anyone gotten this to work with Leopard?

Maybe I need to modify skippy's info.plists?:

Add 0x293e8086 DevID to:

ALCInject.kext/Contents/Info.plist

AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...