OSx86 on Dimension 4700

13 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, which is very similar to the Apple dev machine since it uses an Intel motherboard with GMA900 integrated graphics. I also have a G5 running Tiger, and both of the leaked mactel files:

mactelbase.tar.rar (1.03gb)

applications.tar.rar (100.68mb)

Here are my questions:

1. Is is possible to put all these things together to create a working Mac x86 system?

2. Has anybody tried it on a GMA900 machine yet? That seems to be one of the biggest obstacles according to other posts.

3. I realize the leaked files are incomplete, is it possible to complete them from my G5? I looked at the list of missing files, but I can't tell how many of them are binaries.

If I could get this working, I would make a disk image so that other people with GMA900 could use it.

Thanks, 'other', for your brief but informative answers. A few more questions:

1. If it is indeed possible to fill in all the missing files from my G5, then why is the answer to #1 no?

2. What happened when others tried it with a GMA900 system? Anybody ever get a GUI?

Thanks, 'other', for your brief but informative answers.  A few more questions:  

1. If it is indeed possible to fill in all the missing files from my G5, then why is the answer to #1 no?  

2. What happened when others tried it with a GMA900 system?  Anybody ever get a GUI?

1. If the missing files are arch specific, they will not be useful on the intel box.

2. The issue with the GUI isn't really about hardware, but the applications themselves (or lack of).

1. If the missing files are arch specific, they will not be useful on the intel box.

That's what I thought, but 'other' said it was possible get all the missing files from my G5 (question #3 in my initial post). If none of these are binaries, then it shouldn't be a problem.

2. The issue with the GUI isn't really about hardware, but the applications themselves (or lack of).

I have the applications too, or at least what appears to be in a second tarball (iLife, Safari, etc.). Also, I saw posts where people where getting kernel extension errors when trying to use a Nvidia card. It seems logical that Apple would only include GMA drivers, and not ATI or Nvidia. That's why I thought my 4700 might work.

Actually, hardware is a HUGE issue right now. With the help of Daisuke and others, we've basically come to the conclusion that the drivers included in the dev kit are crippled, to the point that unless your hardware configuration is very, very similar to the dev machines, you'l have a hard time running it. There is hope though, after seeing the progress that blex0r and others have gotten on getting the leak to run within a virtual machine. Check the Darwin threads for more.

the drivers included in the dev kit are crippled, to the point that unless your hardware configuration is very, very similar to the dev machines, you'l have a hard time running it.

My Dimension 4700 is very, very similar, which is why I had hoped it might work. I'll check those other threads.

Actually, hardware is a HUGE issue right now. With the help of Daisuke and others, we've basically come to the conclusion that the drivers included in the dev kit are crippled, to the point that unless your hardware configuration is very, very similar to the dev machines, you'l have a hard time running it. There is hope though, after seeing the progress that blex0r and others have gotten on getting the leak to run within a virtual machine. Check the Darwin threads for more.

However, you must admit, without a GUI, you don't need drivers for the GUI? You need the car to put the gas in, until then you just have useful gas.

That's true, but the GUI isn't necesarilly for you to have the proper drivers all up and running. The fact is, in order to get the GUI to even think about running, you have to have similar hardware so that Darwin/Mactel won't {censored} out on you when you try to boot it. Example - People with some GeForce cards (Can't remeber what in particular, but I thibk it was the one shudder has)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prasys007

It might not work....You can get the 64-bit version and see what happens....It really depends...You can give it a shot...I don't really know. I need to test mactel thingy out (last time I tested and it will not work on AMD Boxes)

• 1 year later...

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 which run an Intel ® Pentium D 2.80 CPU and an NVidia G-Force 6 Series Video card.

I have installed JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel but when I boot, I always get the grey apple crash screen that tells me to hold down the power button and cold restart.

Anyone Help?

stu