The 10 Commandments of Mac Optimization

EFI

8 posts in this topic

Well, this is another interesting news. We all know that we're not perfect..er..not even close at times, and this can affect our Macs (or wannabe Macs). This is where Jason Swadley, who has thought this through clearly, made 10 easy steps to maintaing your Mac fresh...Cupertino fresh, that is (as he says):

All Macs are ready out of the box, but what happens after they're removed from the cardboard cocoon? Lethargy. Torpor. They get slower, too.

Like all computers, you'll find gunk is gradually--and quite literally--accumulating inside your Mac. It needn't be that way. For the sake of your Mac's soul, I present the 15... oy... 10 commandments of keeping your Mac fresh - Cupertino fresh.

To sum the basic topics:

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's new Mac

9. Thou shalt not bear false security

8. Thou shalt not steal. From developers

7. Thou shalt not commit peripheral adultery

6. Thou shalt not murder thine files. (But if thou doest, be of thankful heart for thine merciful backups)

5. Honour thy startup and thy reboot, that thy days may be long upon thine Mac

4. Remember the Stevenote day and keep it holy

3. Do not use the Mac's brain in vain

2. Thou shalt not worship graven icons

1. Thou shalt have no extra apps before me

For an indepth description of each of the commandments, check out the blog, avaliable here: Link

OMG Swad's alive! :P

These are really good guidelines for Mac usage. Some of them are common sense, but there are several I'd never have thought of.

Oh, and he forgot to mention iStat Menus in commandment 9. It's definitely superior to MenuMeters IMO.

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :)

I've been around but it's been a busy summer. I've been working and getting ready for grad school, plus travels here and there. I'm headed to Brazil next week to help with medical relief there.

Anyway, now that I've got some more free time, you'll see me around the site a little more... and of course I've launched a personal blog. We'll see how both of those go once school starts, though.

check out Camouflage. It's another app that hides the desktop letting your pretty wallpaper shine through. And it can be launched at startup in it's preferences if you want to break commandment 5 :D Oh yeah and it's free.

One more thing that i found that really bogs down OSX is duplicate fonts. Open Fontbook and delete any duplicates that you may have. If you have MS Office installed, Word will recreate the duplicates every time it's opened. Go to you MS Office folder, then to the fonts folder (it might be in the Word folder, i forget as i switched to Pages) and simply rename it to something like FontsX. This will keep it from creating dupes in your Fontbook. I found this after noticing a rise in beach ball sightings on my MBP with 2 gigs of ram and thought it was odd. I noticed a definite increase in response time after cleaning out the fonts and renaming the MS font folder to prevent a relapse. I have no idea why the fonts do that. I'd be interested in finding out if anybody knows.

Well for instance don't steal software from the little guy. Small apps that go for 5 to 30 bucks should be paid for if you get a lot of use from them. If you screw the little guy then the little guy is gonna go away.

Now I don't have near as many qualms about stealing from the big guys :yoji: However if i was going to use software for business purposes I would definately buy them.

InteliMac Pro has a good point - in practical terms the "little guys" and the "big guys" are disproportionately hurt due to piracy. Outside of practicality, though, theft is theft.

But yeah, I've learned a lot since I started this forum, and one of those lessons is that piracy isn't quite as acceptable as I once thought it was.