iPhone Nano

EFI

9 posts in this topic

Knowing Apple, we all knew this was going to happen...at one point or another. However, could it really be true that we have underestimated the delivery time for the smaller, and more affordable iPhone Nano (if that's what it's even called finally)? Latest rumor has it that it might be much closer to reality than we originally imagined it to be. As the iPhone; the current full featured model (that is out now) went into the production stage...AppleInsider (who got the information from 'extremely reputable' sources) states that the smaller iPhone Nano, came out of the engineering labs.

Extremely reputable sources have told AppleInsider in recent weeks that the company's iPhone roadmap for the 2007 calendar year includes not one but two distinct models, the second of which is set to turn up just months after the first.

According to one source, development of the second model has followed so closely on the heels of the inaugural iPhone that it was making its final pass through engineering around the same time that today's model hit the manufacturing lines back in May or early June.

Conceived as a scaled back, lower cost alternative to today's iPhone, the second iteration of the handset is presumed to marry iPod functionality with rudimentary cellular capabilities. More resource-heavy Internet browsing and e-mail capabilities are not expected of the device.

In providing the first visual descriptions of the handset, long-standing industry sources -- who've continually been in tune with Apple's future music directions -- have dubbed the device "an iPhone nano" because they say it best describes the the handset's overall form-factor and aesthetic.

Pricing of the new handset is expected to fall significantly below the $500+ asking cost of today's iPhone models, these sources say, but not so much so as to pinch sales of an upcoming revision to the iPod nano.

Full article link

This means that the iPhone Nano, with that hypothetical name, has been in the works for quite some months now. Thus (from the article) pricing wise it is said to be much lower than the full featured iPhone, however not low enough and near the iPod Nano range, to prevent cannibalization of it's sales.

As for how the user input is going to be for the device:

The filings published earlier this month detailed telephone and text entry interfaces for a cellular-capable device via a virtual rotary click-wheel. One in particular described segmenting a click-wheel's circular shape into various regions to enable quick phone dialing by sensing which region was touched.

Source in the full article link.

They can't be making "iPhone Nano" too small, because then a number of factors would be virtually eliminated; such as dialing for example. Cant wait to here more, though, i just hope it isnt *too* small :huh:

yeah, i can't imagine a phone smaller then the iphone that could do much more then call or play music

There have been so many rumors flying around about the iPhone "Nano" and a new touch-screen iPod arriving soon. I really doubt that both will be released within a short time frame because general sales could be potentially cannibalized in the process. Then again, Jobs stated that he doesn't care about product cannibalization "so long as it's Apple doing the cannibalization." Maybe we really will see a final burst in Apple hand-held goodies before Christmas '07.

well if I remember correctly, back when the iPhone was only a rumor, everyone basically thought that it would be a cell-version of the current iPod nano. The general consensus was that Apple was making an mp3 phone with the mp3 capabilities up to par or better than iPod standards. I guess like a rokr but much, much, much, much, much better.

I guess then this rumor doesn't surprise me, although this is less of a rumor and more of a business model for iPhone as it has been for iPod. Of course, the iPod was miniaturized a lot later in the lifespan than these rumors predict for the iPhone, but there is one important factor that changes that:

sales.

Adoption of the iPhone is phenomenal, and if we look at it from that perspective, I'm sure releasing the smaller version at this point (especially considering this is an already-established market where the 'everyday' phones dominate) does make some economical sense.

Apple knows what they're doing! ;)

I just hope they also update the iPod and refresh the iMac/Mac mini. They've been getting lax with these lines and i won't forgive them much longer...

Apple knows what they're doing! wink_anim.gif

I just hope they also update the iPod and refresh the iMac/Mac mini. They've been getting lax with these lines and i won't forgive them much longer...

I second that. Apple is smart enough and know's today's market enough to know better than to release a "second gen iPhone" so soon after the First's gen initial release. If they did that I would be in pure awe. I highly doubt, though, that with the upcoming Leopard release, that they'll release it, especially before upgrading iPod's and iMac's. Only time (and Steve) will tell ;)