ASRock Dual-915GL owners

40 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd start a thread for all users of the ASRock Dual-915GL motherboard.

I have mine with a Celeron D 2.8ghz, installed 10.4.3 8f1111 and all is working fine but I'm using an IDE hard disk, does SATA work ok as I other 3 other IDE devices but this board only has 1 IDE channel, so I'm thinking of upgrading the main boot disk to SATA.

Has anyone got any tips for improving performance with this board, eg. does updating the bios make it any better?

Thanks

;)

My Seagate 80G SATA HD works quite well with this mobo, but I have the power problem in either 8F1099 or 8F1111. I couldn't completely shut down the computer, once I select shut down, most parts were down but the CPU fan was still working... Any suggestions?

Dec 8 23:56:47 hippos-computer shutdown: halt by hippo:

Dec 8 23:56:48 hippos-computer kernel[0]: (5344)tfp: failed on 0

Dec 8 23:56:48 hippos-computer kernel[0]: (5344)tfp: failed on 0

Dec 8 23:56:48 hippos-computer SystemStarter[5328]: authentication service (5337) did not complete successfully

Dec 8 23:56:49 hippos-computer kernel[0]: (5370)tfp: failed on 0

Dec 8 23:56:49 hippos-computer SystemStarter[5328]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:

That's what I found in the log folder. Can any one help me solve this problem?

Dear ASROCK 775Dual-915GL Owners: I have several systems built with this motherboard running WinXP, OSX x86 (deadmoo) and Win2000. My problem is mouse hum with all OS's. I thought that it would be the iffy drivers for OSX86. So now I am looking for some 3rd party confirmation. All you do is turn up the sound and move the mouse. HUMMMM, Hummmm, Hummmm. Very irritating to say the least. I live near Chino (home of Asrock) and will work directly with them in there lab on this issue. I have already been in touch with them regarding this. The more data, the better. Thanks!

My Seagate 80G SATA HD works quite well with this mobo, but I have the power problem in either 8F1099 or 8F1111. I couldn't completely shut down the computer, once I select shut down, most parts were down but the CPU fan was still working... Any suggestions?

Have you USB Devices?

Starting your Mashine without USB as Test. Then shut down your Mashine...

Have you USB Devices?

Starting your Mashine without USB as Test. Then shut down your Mashine...

Yeah, the USB might be the reason.

I switched to PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse, then the power problem disappeared...

I tried several combination of PS/2 and USB devices, once I have one USB device(either keyboard or mouse), the PS/2 device seems to be disabled.... and the power problem came up again.

So how can I solve the power problem with my USB keyboard and mouse? Can anyone give some suggestions?

Thanks.

also i ve one pb : power off by button only !!!!!!!

all is working very well (apple usb kbd and mightly mouse...)

SATA 160 dd ok !

my p4 prescott 3 ghz 800 fsb dont want to be overcloked...

on asus 915 card it was possible.

is the bios version (1,20) my problem for overclock ?????

i push up fsb control in bios : no reaction , it still 3 ghz !!!!!

help please

I'm using bios v1.3 in order to overclock my celeron 310. I've experienced the mouse hum mentioned peviously on many mainboards with onboard audio, however i can't tell atm with this board since my speakers hum themselves.

EDIT: Just tried shutting down (haven't done that in months) and USB, fans, and front panel case display all still have power. I tried ACPI and X86PC boot options with no change.

Edited by ghw9132

• 3 weeks later...

I had 10.4.1 installed briefly, with usb mouse and keyboard, and shutdown did turn off the power. But scheduled startup did not work. After moving to 10.4.3, both 8f1099 and 8f1111 have the shutdown problem, hardware still powered up after shutdown. Using Sleep under 10.4.3 has an additional problem: Sleep lasts for about a second, then the system wakes up again. That's probably caused by USB too.

I had 10.4.1 installed briefly, with usb mouse and keyboard, and shutdown did turn off the power. But scheduled startup did not work. After moving to 10.4.3, both 8f1099 and 8f1111 have the shutdown problem, hardware still powered up after shutdown. Using Sleep under 10.4.3 has an additional problem: Sleep lasts for about a second, then the system wakes up again. That's probably caused by USB too.

May sound stupid but for your sleep problem try flipping your mouse over. My mouse is very sensitive and the vibration form the computer would cause the mouse to 'move' thereby waking the computer and wearing down my batteries.

I hit the trifecta!

1) System doesn't shut down completely

2) Mouse buzzing

3) Overclock settings don't stick (usually).

#1 probably has to do with USB as ppl have mentioned. #2 && 3 probably have to do with the {censored}tiness of the Asrock board (I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting). Also, I can't push the FSB past 218MHz resulting in a {censored} OC (~3.3GHz). Also, the board completely misidentifies my RAM in terms of both frequency and timing. I have DDR400 2-3-3, and the BIOS thinks I have DDR333 3-3-8 (fortunately I can override this). All in all, this board pretty much sucks, but it has the GMA 900. In retrospect, I probably would've been better off spending a little more on a better board, but at least it supports AGP and PCIe gfx cards (albeit @ 25% bandwidth).

Really, the most annoying problem is that my OC doesn't stick. Most of the time when I start up, it goes back to 3GHz. But if I enter the BIOS, it still says 218MHz. That's more than a little odd. As of right now, I just keep hitting the pwr button until the proper speed appears in the BIOS. Upgrading the BIOS, and turning off thermal control didn't have any effect. But whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the whole "kernel[0]: (74)tfp: failed on 0" in the logs and it bothered me, but my system is running fine. I have integrated graphics w/ core image & quartz on 8f1111g. My system still doesn't shut down correctly [i agree on the USB consensus], but none of the mouse buzzing everyone talks about. I haven't moved to 1.3 BIOS from 1.2. Is it worth it? This board isn't much for overclocking; I can only push it to 150MHz FSB. I didn't expect it to be and I am pretty satisfied actually. I know overclocks don't stick, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not losing noticeable performance anyway, OSx86 runs very nicely regardless.

i have updated to 1.30 bios My ASRock Dual-915GL , everything works fine just like before ...

maybe my XBench Dropped one point or so...

Reason i updated because i'm waiting for Celeron D 350 3.2 g and that bios 1.30 supports it due to a diffrent stepping used in Celeron D 350.

issues i have :

- usb D-Link Wireless adapter , when plugged in and on doesnt allow me to shut down completly.

i have to pull it out and then it shuts down.

any suggestions on what Graphic Card i could use with that motherboard that would support CI + QE

I have my Asrock P4dual-915GL with intel GMA900 works just fine with 10.4.3. This motherboard works like {censored} in windows, but the performance is bettr in OSX intel. About the shutdown issue, just try to dissable USB legacy support in BIOS. This is my experince.

I have my Asrock P4dual-915GL with intel GMA900 works just fine with 10.4.3. This motherboard works like {censored} in windows, but the performance is bettr in OSX intel. About the shutdown issue, just try to dissable USB legacy support in BIOS. This is my experince.

But without USB legacy you can't reach the darwin boot menu (F8 at startup) with an USB keyboard. Or can you?