Recommended hardware

16 posts in this topic

I'm buying a new computer these days, and I cant seem to find a solid guide on what hardware to choose.

I guess choosing hardware that are similar to what apple delivers would be like 9th heaven, but if I had that kind of cash, I'd just buy a mac.

If any of you have installed osx without having to do any adjustments with drivers and such. Please post your setup below.

The best place to look is the HCL. It lists many components, and the level of difficulty people had getting them working. You can also find peoples' computer setups in their signature most of the time. You don't really need everyone to post in a thread (plus I think there are several like this anyway). My signature has my setup, as well as a link to some good priced components at NewEgg (but is by no means a definitive guide - just recommendations).

I'm buying a new computer these days, and I cant seem to find a solid guide on what hardware to choose.

I guess choosing hardware that are similar to what apple delivers would be like 9th heaven, but if I had that kind of cash, I'd just buy a mac.

If any of you have installed osx without having to do any adjustments with drivers and such. Please post your setup below.

The HCL gives good info. I looked at it carefully before building my current machine and I haven't had any problems with hardware this time around. I am using an Intel 975xbx2 motherboard, E6700 C2D processor, and a Geforce 7300GT video card (asus). The only thing that needed a patch was the onboard audio, which took about 10 minutes. I am running 10.4.9 w/current kernel. Xbench score of 145 w/disk included.

Old setup was AMD 3800+ on Asrock board. Lots of trouble and Xbench score of 80. Yuck.

Have a look at my signature, I've have 1 hackintosh at work and one at home running rather well as a HTPC. The most critical decision you have to make, when building a hackintosh, is the motherboard. I like to use Intel 945 chipsets. From experience they have been the most compatible. I use the Asrock cos they're cheap, supports C2D and have Firewire onboard as well as eSATA. The only problems I have with this m/b is that microphone input does not work and USB devices are not waking up from sleep(though I don't know whether this is m/b related.)

Soon I will begin experimenting with Intel 965 chipsets. 975s are still too expensive for me.

@ Take:

Actually, we have the same dillema. I'm newbie. But somehow after referring to the HCL, I now have a tentative list on what parts, components to buy for my midrange Project OSx86 computer.

@ The OSx86 Tech Gurus:

I like OSX but I'm also into games so it will pull double duty as a Hackintosh & gaming platform (Dual Boot OSX / Windows). Now, I only have 3 questions left unanswered:

1) Which motherboard to buy?

a. Asus P5W DH Delux (Intel 975X + ICH7R)

b. Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (Intel 965P + ICH8R)

c. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (Intel P35 + ICH9R)

2) What's the difference between a 965P and 965G chipset? Which works better with OSX, and why one is better than the other?

3) I heard the ATI Radeon X1600Pro works well with OSX after some patching, but I'm thinking about getting the X1600/1650XT instead. Are these two cards now supported? I live outside the US, and from the place where I come from, the only good brands available are from Sapphire and Gigabyte.

Your inputs are highly appreciated. :)

Hi people...

Basically i want to build a set for video editing with similar caracteristics to match a major iMac to run smoothly Final Cut Studio 2.

Thanx to miramar, now i know that the first thing to choose is the mother board (an asus could be right? i read somewhere that asus provides to apple the motherboards for macbooks).

I would like to use an AMD based mb, and i was thinking about using this one that i read in HLC...

post-117455-1183213274_thumb.png

...but if intel is necesary, i will go intel.

What about the graphic card? new iMacs comes with NVIDIA 7300 GT or ATI Radeon X1600 ... what video card can you recomend me?

I have been reading too that some people is having problems connecting some cams by firewire, and aside to connect cams i want to use some external firewire HD's, is that problem fixed?

And finally, I have an old Dazzle firewire card... i will really love if this could work.

dazzle.jpg

Thanx!

As far as the m/b is concerned, one of the reasons I choose Intel 945 is because it supports both SATA & IDE reliably. I haven't looked at 975s because of the cost. 965s only has SATA. IDE is usually supported by a 3rd-party chip such as JMicron which was a problem but should be OK now. I intend to but haven't had the time to look into 965s.

Prior to the hackintosh, I was an AMD user all the way but switched to Intel C2Ds due to problems I had with my nForce4 m/bs at that time. I have to recommed Intel since I have stocks in Intel. Nah, just kidding.

As for graphic cards, to keep things simple, go with Natit dual 0.2 drvs & an Nvidia 7xxx series with 256mb or less. I'm using a 7900GS. It's plenty fast. I've also used successfully ATI x300, ATI x1650 & Nvidia 6600. I also have a 8600GS which I hope to try with diabolik's new drivers soon.

I've tried one Sarotech 2.5in external firewire HD, no probs. Also Sony & Panasonic DV camcorders connected via firewire. No probs capturing the DV into iMovie. Haven't had problems with firewire at all from day one.

I think that Dazzle box should work with no probs. It doesn't require drivers in Windows, right? Does Windows detect the device without any drivers & can you capture from it with Windows Movie maker? If it works w/o drivers, it'll work on OSX, it'll just see it as another Firewire DV device. My friend is using a similar analog to DV device from Canopus and it works fine with OSX.

@supergolfo

to use 965 chipset, need a little work on how to fix the SATA interface.

i have been using my only pc and without having problem with the firewire interface. it works very well and i can connect it to my real G5 to doing the transfer, ext. HDD, iPod, and my Canon Camcorder.

Please remember that when building a hackintosh the motherboard and the CPU are the main things.

Intel seems to be best choice in both cases.

My "old" one (which I am trying to sell) has an Intel D945GNTLKR mobo and a Pentium D 950:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=7393&hl=

My new one has a Bad Axe 1 and a core 2 duo E6600: this would be an ideal setup if you can afford it (Bad Axe 2 even better, because it supports Quad CPUs "officially"):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=26508&hl=

Please remember that in about 3 weeks time Intel will cut its prices by up to 50%

Intel is set to cut prices in half on current quad-core Q6600 on the july 22. other cpus are also expected to get a reduced price, and new models introduced.

AMD cut prices on their cpus today.

Please remember that when building a hackintosh the motherboard and the CPU are the main things.

While I'll agree that the motherboard is the main thing you have to worry about, I'd say the video card is something you have to consider more than the CPU. Basically if the CPU works with the motherboard you've chosen, it will work in OS X. Not all video cards work as well though.

The best place to look is the HCL. It lists many components, and the level of difficulty people had getting them working. You can also find peoples' computer setups in their signature most of the time. You don't really need everyone to post in a thread (plus I think there are several like this anyway). My signature has my setup, as well as a link to some good priced components at NewEgg (but is by no means a definitive guide - just recommendations).

lol, i love that you're so gung ho about the HCL haha

lol, i love that you're so gung ho about the HCL haha

I'm "gung ho" about it just because I link to it when people keep posting the same question asking what hardware is compatible? It's the "hardware compatibility list." I think that's a pretty good place to start to find compatible hardware. It's better than just saying "search the forums" like many people do, and definitely more useful than a post by someone sarcastically saying they "love" that I linked to it.

Just be aware that the info in the HCL is sometimes wrong. It pays to verify the info there with searches in the forum especially if you're using it as a guide for hardware purchases. I encountered this once. If I remember correctly an SMC PCI Wifi card is listed as working out of the box in the 10.4.8 HCL when actually it isn't. It only worked with 10.4.7. Nevertheless it is still an invaluable resource.