Problems with 4gb ram

nargot

57 posts in this topic

Edited for clarity / syntax

Okay... I've got a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R which is basically a DS4 minus the heatpipes and 2nd PCI Express slot... I tried 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 kernels, both kernel panic after a while if total memory usage (Resident + Active + Inactive) gets to 4Gb (swapping)

Unlike nargot the panic occurs sooner than 12-24h period. AFAIK it's related to video memory being mapped incorrectly, as it seems to crash as soon as a window gets moved / resized.

I haven't heard of the 8.10.3 kernel, has someone more info about this? #kernel channel at irc.osx86.hu seems dead, no one ever answers.

I'm using 8.10.1 kernel that came with the second Koolkal update.

That's quite a shame since i put up this rig for massive 3D renderings that use lots of RAM :rolleyes:

Maybe someone can give us the means to contact Netkas/Mifki whoever and tell them about this issue with 965/P35 boards

the kernel panics i experienced happened during my screensaver (sheepsaver) and while idle without screensaver

channel is #10.4.10

I've tried the 8.10.3 kernel with no luck on fixing the memory problems.

however i have since reverted to the 8.10.1 kernel , as the 8.10.3 kernel screwed up .dmg mounting and restart

the kernel panics i experienced happened during my screensaver (sheepsaver) and while idle without screensaver

channel is #10.4.10

I've tried the 8.10.3 kernel with no luck on fixing the memory problems.

however i have since reverted to the 8.10.1 kernel , as the 8.10.3 kernel screwed up .dmg mounting and restart

It seems that it also panics after idling here... left the computer running this morning before leaving for work and now I can't ssh into it. Memory had approx. 800-600 mb free. However, sleep is disabled so what could be causing the panic?

On a side note, I never get any panic logs in /Library/Logs/panic.log.

Do you have any?

It seems that it also panics after idling here... left the computer running this morning before leaving for work and now I can't ssh into it. Memory had approx. 800-600 mb free. However, sleep is disabled so what could be causing the panic?

On a side note, I never get any panic logs in /Library/Logs/panic.log.

Do you have any?

no panic logs here either

Hi

I just set up my new hardware with Jas 10.4.8, and 4*1Gb of G-Skill memory.

I've not been using it for a long time, but it doesn't seem to kernel panic, and besides runs very flawlessly, especially with windows xp on vmware fusion...

I was pretty pissed to see your thread about your problems, as I had ordered the same hardware, but eventually it's all okay for me :(

Hi

I've not been using it for a long time, but it doesn't seem to kernel panic, and besides runs very flawlessly, especially with windows xp on vmware fusion...

I was pretty pissed to see your thread about your problems, as I had ordered the same hardware, but eventually it's all okay for me :(

Same here using Uphuck 1.3. Looks like a problem for the older chipset DS* boards.

Hi

I was pretty pissed to see your thread about your problems, as I had ordered the same hardware, but eventually it's all okay for me :)

Hmm did you really stress test it? Are you constantly using the full 4Gigs of RAM? Try launching some VMs with lot's of RAM allocated to them while doing some intensive work. It would be nice if you coud report your results on this thread. My mobo is a P35-DS3R.

I've been using it for two days now, with windows xp in vmware, along with some work in mac os x, and zero bug to report.

I've not really stressed it though, do you know how to do that? I've never used the whole memory neither, cause I just don't have enough apps for that ...

I've been using it for two days now, with windows xp in vmware, along with some work in mac os x, and zero bug to report.

I've not really stressed it though, do you know how to do that? I've never used the whole memory neither, cause I just don't have enough apps for that ...

That's easy, just increase the memory of your xp virtual machine to 3.5gigs, then open a big photoshop image and put some filters on it -_-

Okay man I did that, 3,6Gb for vmware, and a Photoshop task, along with some other stuff

memload.png

I'm not sure I know what 'wired' means in the Activity Monitor, but at least most of the memory is not free.

Hope this helps

Okay man I did that, 3,6Gb for vmware, and a Photoshop task, along with some other stuff

I'm not sure I know what 'wired' means in the Activity Monitor, but at least most of the memory is not free.

Hope this helps

Dude, thx alot for the test. Looking at Nargot's posts and your signature I think that 4Gb is unstable on anything above 10.4.8

Sent you a PM

Edited

got 4gb ram running stable on a gigabyte P35-DS3P

installation - JaS 10.4.8ppf1. upgraded to 10.4.10 with koolkai updater

looks like its a problem with both 965 and P35 boards

kernel panics due to to much ram appear to occur at 12:02 am on my machines

Yeah, I just found out that my Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard had defective DIMM slots :guitar: well at least when I get a new one one today I'll be getting 4Gb bliss!

In the end, it was the hardware. Apple software is so damn good that you should always suspect the hardware first :unsure:

got 4gb ram running stable on a gigabyte P35-DS3P

installation - JaS 10.4.8ppf1. upgraded to 10.4.10 with koolkai updater

looks like its a problem with both 965 and P35 boards

kernel panics due to to much ram appear to occur at 12:02 am on my machines

updated the previous post. 4 gb of ram is NOT stable in osx on P35 chipset

I got the problem fix!!

I am using asus p5b deluxe and got the problem same as you guys.

After plug out all of PCI cards installed (PCI USB,LAN) and disable the Jmicron IDE/SATA controller, the system is fully stable till now.

Running Corsair xms 1gb x2, kingstone value 2gb x2

I've been using it for two days now, with windows xp in vmware, along with some work in mac os x, and zero bug to report.I've not really stressed it though, do you know how to do that? I've never used the whole memory neither, cause I just don't have enough apps for that ...
also make large disk images >10 gb in toast as this max's out your ramencode dvd to avi etcthe problems i've encountered occur also when the machine is idle
may be the problems are with 2x2gb modules, and not for 4x1gb modules, I don't know :)
i run 1 gb modules4 x 1gb dies3 x 1gb stable2 x 1 gb + 2 x 512 stable
I got the problem fix!!I am using asus p5b deluxe and got the problem same as you guys.After plug out all of PCI cards installed (PCI USB,LAN) and disable the Jmicron IDE/SATA controller, the system is fully stable till now.Running Corsair xms 1gb x2, kingstone value 2gb x2
ok that makes some sense, jmicron culprit. I wonder why its not an issue with low ram?. the only problem will be the lack of pioneer 111 dvd-rw. i can swap in a pioneer 212 tonight to verify this.thanks for the input rgb

I also have the same problem with my 965P-DQ6 w/ 4x1GB GEIL DDR2 800.

I tried from 10.4.8-10.4.10 with different kernels and it is still unstable. I even installed Leopard 9a527, still unstable.

Well, not until I ran in Tiger and Leopard in safe boot mode(-x). I use memtest OSX to test for stability.

Both Tiger and Leopard are stable in safe mode.