Stacks

kucrombiebenz

13 posts in this topic

How do you make a stack on the dock? I tried dragging a folder, but that didn't work.

I'm pretty sure I should know how to do this... but for whatever reason I don't. :D

If you drag a folder or a bunch of items on the dock it will make a stack, if you click the icon it will either display them as a pile or in a grid if they are too many.

I did not manage to drag a folder, but a bunch of apps worked.

Weird, the first thing I did was dragging the applications folder and exept for the fact that the new Finder loves to retract if you go down a little more and make you drop the folder on the desktop instead it worked.

Stacks work great for me, but the folder icon seems to get replaced with whatever is the front most icon within the directory. Is that the norm?

Yeah, it's a stack after all, not a folder. The newest icon is on the top. When you add a new file to the folder, the frontmost icon changes.

yeah, though i kinda f'n hate that cuz i mean for certain icons that load preview's such as images it's cool but for like .torrent files i can't stand having like 2 frogs on my dock : ) i wish it could let u pic an icon, i'd really like to use the green download icon for it and then when i open it it shows from newest.

another example i just though of is i use it for my applications, and i don't like it being represented by just one application unrelated to the rest, it doesnt make sense ( i know stacks != folders but yeah it kind does)

yeah, though i kinda f'n hate that cuz i mean for certain icons that load preview's such as images it's cool but for like .torrent files i can't stand having like 2 frogs on my dock : ) i wish it could let u pic an icon, i'd really like to use the green download icon for it and then when i open it it shows from newest.

another example i just though of is i use it for my applications, and i don't like it being represented by just one application unrelated to the rest, it doesnt make sense ( i know stacks != folders but yeah it kind does)

either use transmission or make one of the default icons different.

Why would you use Azureus anyways? Such a bloated crappy application IMO..

Transmission is a much better torrent client, especially now that it has selective downloading, priority settings, and torrent creation in the nightly builds.

Stacks work great for me, but the folder icon seems to get replaced with whatever is the front most icon within the directory. Is that the norm?

You can always right click on your stack and arrange the files differently, by name, by date, by kind etc. eventually that changes the front icon you see at the stack.