Mac sales rise again

6 posts in this topic

Laptops again beat desktops in terms of growth. Apple's desktop share (from April until now) rose from 10.2 to 10.4 percent of all computers sold. Their laptop share rose from 12.5 to 14.3 percent.

Now the big question becomes: do more people want laptops or are the desktop models from Apple lacking something (and please, no cracks about Apple needing a $50 box with 12 PCI slots, because <1% of users looking for that would ever use those)? Or is it a combo of the two?

In general Laptops are outselling desktops here. It could be the fact that you can get a Laptop for the same price and sometimes less than a desktop.

Apple really need something below the MAC pro on the desktop side to push volumes. A standard quad core with DDR-800 RAM will go a long way of delivering performance and value.

Apple's probably the best manufacturer of notebook computers. They have some pretty powerful mobile Core Duos, draft 802.11n wifi, and now LED backlit displays are arriving. The key is that pricing is actually comparable to notebooks made by other manufacturers.

On the desktop side, there's the Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. The Mini is nice, but doesn't pack as much of a punch as some $500 not-so-compact desktops built by other manufacturers. The iMac is a great compact computer, but most people probably don't like the "all-in-one" idea (eg: would you really want to spend money on an expensive computer and be unable to buy a larger monitor if you later decide you want one?) The iMac, even the entry-level iMac, is much more expensive than most competing desktops and lacks expandability. Finally the Mac Pro will blast a hole through anybody's wallet unless they really need one for professional use.

no cracks about Apple needing a $50 box with 12 PCI slots, because

Well, I hate to say it, but there's no avoiding it: Apple needs a sub-$1500 tower computer. Sure, companies also make compact computers like the Mini and iMac, and they make high-end stuff for pros like the Mac Pro. But what do they sell most of? Normal desktops. As long as the gap isn't bridged, Apple will never get as much computer market-share as they potentially could.

Well, I hate to say it, but there's no avoiding it: Apple needs a sub-$1500 tower computer. Sure, companies also make compact computers like the Mini and iMac, and they make high-end stuff for pros like the Mac Pro. But what do they sell most of? Normal desktops. As long as the gap isn't bridged, Apple will never get as much computer market-share as they potentially could.

That's what OSX86 is for

Laptops are the best. I have a Powerbook (soon to be MacBook Pro hehe) hooked up to my monitor while I'm at home. When I need to take my laptop anywhere, I just unplug it from my KVM and go. With the Macbook Pro I'll have more than twice the power of that G5 I was lusting after when I bought my Powerbook