[HOWTO] Linksys WUSB54G v4 Working on OS X

Lkr

23 posts in this topic

UPDATE AS OF JANUARY 14th, 2010!!: This guide was written for use in OS X 10.4 Tiger. If you are using 10.5 Leopard, please refer to this tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170442

First of all the original thread can be found here. This thread builds off of it and has a more in depth Tutorial. The initial discovery was not found by me.

-REQUIREMENTS-

Ralink RT2500 USB Wireless Driver(can be here) and also comes with Uphuck 10.4.9 Universal 1.3 DVD

BASIC Terminal knowledge. I will post all of the commands, so it won't be too difficult.

Step 1

Mount the RTUSB dmg file and then copy the contents to the desktop

open up USBWireless-10.4 and run USBWireless-Tiger.pkg

Reboot when prompted

Step 2

When you reboot, the Ralink USB Device Utility should pop up

Completely Exit it

Step 3

Pop open Terminal and put in

sudo -s

and put in your password when prompted

Step 4

Type in

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Step 5

At the end of where it says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.1.3.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>Lens Wang</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.1.3</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>

hit Return to create a space and copy the following under it:

<key>Wireless-G USB Network Adapter</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>bcdDevice</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5041</integer>
</dict>

Step 6

On your keyboard hit Ctrl+O and then enter and then Ctrl+X to Quit.

Step 7

In terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Step 8

Exit Terminal

Step 9

Open up Disk Utility, choose your current Partition and under First Aid hit Repair Permissions and let that run.

Step 10

Reboot

Step 11

When OS X boots, the Ralink USB Utility should come up again. If it doesn't detect a network and still says No Device!! unplug your USB adaptor and plug it back in. If it still says no device, go into terminal and type

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

Step 12

If you have no internet, but are connected to your internet, go to Network under System Preferences and it should say New Ethernet Device Found or something along those lines. Follow the guidelines there and you will be able to connect to the internet with your wireless device :(

If you have any questions/comments/complaints please post here. If the original discoverer(Kramer) has any problem with me posting this, just say so, and I will remove it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It dont work on 10.5.1, solutions???

This is Soo Ugly a solution that it makes Cinderella's Ugly step Sisters look hot but heres what I did..... I followed the tut and found the AccessPoint but Couldn't configure the IP Address so I edited the Config files in

First I did a configuration through the GUI for my wired NIC then configured my WUSB54g v4 via the Terminal

ifconfig en0 192.168.3.123 255.255.255.0

then to set the router i went into the following file

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Preferences.plist

I basically just renamed en0 as en1 and now when I plug it in I can Configure it

:unsure::):angel::angel::angel:

yay for me and the rest of the Mac Community

• 5 months later...

I followed all the steps and it worked for me, the only issue I've got is that the USB Utility doesn't work at all.

Thanks

Cloned PC

PC Chips P17G Motherboard, all onboard

1GB RAM

DVD Combo

WUSB54G

It all Works just fine, FCP Studio 2, Office 2004 and other apps

Hi all,

FYI, when you key in the code into Info.plist, make sure there are no extra spaces or lines or else it won't work. (Took me 2 days to figure out why it couldn't add to kernel).

Now I have a new problem. When i plug in the USB, the network preferences can find the wireless as a new ethernet. But how do I configure it to access my SSID and where can I key in the WEP code?

Thanks ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you tried unplugging it, and plugging it back in? Or booting with the "-f" flag?

Also, as mentioned in the OP's post you can try and reload the kext.

(I am aware that reply is rather late. [>_>])

Is there an update on this wireless utility? When I use it, I am unable to select a connection.

I can view them, I just can't connect to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Terminal illnesse ;)

fyi any one attempting this a few key pointers...(headed @ Newbies)

Sudo nano is your friend....type "Sudo Nano" and the directory headed to the plist

when promted for a password type your password...if u have a blank space word it wont work plist editor wont open and if u dont type sudo you wont be able to overwrite or save the plist resulting in a "error failure to write" due to some b.s. about not having accesse which means you need to be a root user

short and sweet

sudo = Rootuser accesse allowing you to save edited plist

nano = plist editor

helpful links *Reading works dont skim*

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...06115115AA1Frv6

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...t_Patching_List

Ok. . I got everything down and did it to a tee however the unit doesnt light up or anything. Terminal says the kext looks loadable and loads it but alas, nothing. The utility says 'No Device!!' and network settings don't do anything.

HELP!

• 4 weeks later...
If the original discoverer(Kramer) has any problem with me posting this, just say so, and I will remove it.

LOL, I just found ran into this now...thanks for the small bit of credit.

@ ,This appears to be a known problem...with no solution...If you want to connect, you need a wireless network with no passwords :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First of all, I'd like to thank the original poster, Lkr, for the thorough and useful guide. Using this guide, I was able to get my WUSB54G v4 to connect to my wifi router (a Linksys WRT610N).

I had to take some additional steps in setting it up to allow me to fully utilize the adapter including using WPA2-PSK authentication, selecting which network to connect to etc on Leopard 10.5.5 and 10.5.6.

As a side note, I firstly must say that I was forced to use DHCP with manual address with the WUSB54G. I don't know why I could not use straight DHCP, I will investigate this further. To do this, in System Preferences -> Network, I selected USB Ethernet on the left panel, then I selected "Using DHCP with manual address" in the Configure field. I had to enter an IP address, so I just used 192.168.1.111.

After i did this, the WUSB54G was able to connect to the router and I got DNS addresses. However, at this point it could only be used on _unsecured_ networks and I could not choose which network it connected to.

The problem was with the USB wireless utility software that Ralink provided. It could not find the device, I wondered if they even tested it.

Fortunately, I found that the utility Belkin made for its F5D9050 USB adapter worked just fine with the Ralink driver. You can download it here:

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid...25&scid=223

The file name is f5d9050v4mac.dmg.

So after I installed the Belkin driver and I unplugged/replugged the WUSB54G, both the Belkin Utility and the orginal Ralink utility popped up. The difference was the Belkin version found my network whereas the Ralink one said "No Device".

Using the Belkin utility, I was also able to set-up WPA2 authentication.

After that, I did some clean up by removing unneeded files. I deleted the Ralink USBWirelessUtility.app in the Applications folder, the start-up daemon (WiUtilityRT73Startup_Ralink folder) in System/Library/StartupItems and the Belkin driver (RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext) in System/Library/Extensions.

JS

Jakarta, Indonesia

PS. I'd also like to thank Belkin. The N wireless adapter I'm buying will definitely come from these guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
First of all, I'd like to thank the original poster, Lkr, for the thorough and useful guide. Using this guide, I was able to get my WUSB54G v4 to connect to my wifi router (a Linksys WRT610N).

I had to take some additional steps in setting it up to allow me to fully utilize the adapter including using WPA2-PSK authentication, selecting which network to connect to etc on Leopard 10.5.5 and 10.5.6.

As a side note, I firstly must say that I was forced to use DHCP with manual address with the WUSB54G. I don't know why I could not use straight DHCP, I will investigate this further. To do this, in System Preferences -> Network, I selected USB Ethernet on the left panel, then I selected "Using DHCP with manual address" in the Configure field. I had to enter an IP address, so I just used 192.168.1.111.

After i did this, the WUSB54G was able to connect to the router and I got DNS addresses. However, at this point it could only be used on _unsecured_ networks and I could not choose which network it connected to.

The problem was with the USB wireless utility software that Ralink provided. It could not find the device, I wondered if they even tested it.

Fortunately, I found that the utility Belkin made for its F5D9050 USB adapter worked just fine with the Ralink driver. You can download it here:

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid...25&scid=223

The file name is f5d9050v4mac.dmg.

So after I installed the Belkin driver and I unplugged/replugged the WUSB54G, both the Belkin Utility and the orginal Ralink utility popped up. The difference was the Belkin version found my network whereas the Ralink one said "No Device".

Using the Belkin utility, I was also able to set-up WPA2 authentication.

After that, I did some clean up by removing unneeded files. I deleted the Ralink USBWirelessUtility.app in the Applications folder, the start-up daemon (WiUtilityRT73Startup_Ralink folder) in System/Library/StartupItems and the Belkin driver (RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext) in System/Library/Extensions.

JS

Jakarta, Indonesia

PS. I'd also like to thank Belkin. The N wireless adapter I'm buying will definitely come from these guys.

Thank you for this GREAT post. This guide works was originally written for Tiger, and I have not used OS X since 10.4.11. I will now update the original post telling them to read your post for Leopard help

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you for this GREAT post. This guide works was originally written for Tiger, and I have not used OS X since 10.4.11. I will now update the original post telling them to read your post for Leopard help

Ya it's not for 10.5.

Is there anyone that can tell Us what driver is for 10.5???

Thank you ALL!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello hackintoshers,

I use iATKOS v7 and the USBWirelessUtility.app detects my WUSB54G v4 stick.

I set op a profile, I enter my WEP-key, make the profile active and doing so I get an IP-adress & DNS number.

But still I can't get connected to the internet, what am I doing wrong?

I didn't change anything in Terminal because I got to this point with installing some drivers only.

Anyone who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Hello hackintoshers,

I use iATKOS v7 and the USBWirelessUtility.app detects my WUSB54G v4 stick.

I set op a profile, I enter my WEP-key, make the profile active and doing so I get an IP-adress & DNS number.

But still I can't get connected to the internet, what am I doing wrong?

I didn't change anything in Terminal because I got to this point with installing some drivers only.

Anyone who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Try this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170442

This one is extremely outdated, as it was originally written to work with 10.4.6

• 10 months later...

Lkr,

Thanks for a great tutorial. This is the only version of these instructions that gives all the steps in clear detail. Most helpful. Got it working with WUSB54G Ver 4 on eMac running 10.4.11. Appears that I would have to manually load the kext file every time, so I think I'll go another route for this machine but great to know this can be made to work. (Yes, I could script it all to happen, but I don't feel like doing that).

Best,

Lee :wacko:

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the great tut! I would like to say that under 10.4.x the wusb54g works fine! However, after I re-insert the USB plug, to get it detected, I found that the USBWirelessUtility (v. 1.6.8.0), that automaticly opens, does not find the device. The one that does work, for me, is the WirelessUtilityRT73USB (v. 1.2.8.0u). If only I could get the right wirelessutility (WirelessUtilityRT73USB (v. 1.2.8.0u)) to open, after inserting the wusb54g usb plug, I'd be a happy man.