my dream induced efi idea

9 posts in this topic

i fell asleep reading EFI related stuff, and i had a "vision" of sorts. it is...

some kind of boot loader that emulates efi and would let us boot straight into mac with regular mac os dvds on our hackintoshes.

someone tell me this isn't possible, i've been obsessing about this since i woke up (about 5 hours ago)

that is quite possible, although it would have to be first boot, it would work sort of like the vista oem royalty boot disk emulating the slip 2.0 signature in bios.

now all we have to do is figure out how to do it!

but yes, it is a VERY good idea and is quite possible =D

this dream was much more productive then my "skin tight snake leather pants" one.

my new goal this summer is to do that! i am going to play around with the efi partition on my mbp, and since i can't mount it in mac, i will be in linux land for a while

this dream was much more productive then my "skin tight snake leather pants" one.
I don't even want to know.

my new goal this summer is to do that! i am going to play around with the efi partition on my mbp, and since i can't mount it in mac, i will be in linux land for a while
That's something I should have tried a LONG time ago... considering all the time I've spent in SuSE on this computer over the last week. Anyway, what kind of stuff is on that partition? I know it's supposedly formatted as FAT32, but I don't know anything more about it and I'm too lazy to reboot into SuSE right now.

EDIT: Stupid line breaks hate me. :hysterical:

in ubuntu it just shows up blank. i downloaded this stuff to see what i can learn. i am going to try and get to know the IT guys @ university of chicago, from what i've heard, they know alot about efi and have nothing to do with their time

edit:

according to here, the efi partition is unused

edit 2: the macEFIx86 thing in the x-labs could shed some light

Eh, so much for that. Seems like we'll have to find a way to hack the EFI system out of the firmware on our Macs.

Which is what they've been trying to do for however long in the macEFIx86 project. IDK, maybe you should get involved there.

That is, if you can put up with Kiko... :hysterical:

I've had also this dream,you can actually run EFI based kernels on pc's (the key is on other forrum) so we just need some kind of watchdog that injects patches on the fly to the kernel, this way we will only need drivers and could use apple's updates and original DVD's. Add to this some package management system for driver/hackingtosh specific software (like linux package distributions systems) and you got the perfect hack.

P.S. Ah! and also rEFIt! Greatest bootloader for teh mac!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ATTENTION SOUNDLESS:

YOUR DREAM HAS COME TRUE< CONGRATULATIONS!

Now thanks to PCEFI you can run native kernels, on a hackintosh, using EFI!

I saw this, and I was like, Wow! because only a month after, PCEFI was released, freaky huh?