7300GT best bang for buck?

19 posts in this topic

hey, ive been searching around for a good new reasonable graphics card for my AGP machine. ive come to the conclusion that the 7300GT would be the best bet for my buck. the one i wanna get is 256mb, gddr2(yes i know not as good but im not much of a gamer) and all the lil goodies.

i have read countless reviews and the 7300GT competes pretty darn close to the x1600PRO and the 7600GS in games, such as doom3 etc. now im just wondering how it would go in mac? i am running 10.4.8 with no problems, just wondering if i would get QE/CI and all the special features? im planning on buying another 512mb ddr 400mhz stick of ram to add to my 768mb. im currently running on a 15" blurry CRT monitor, which truthfull hurts my eyes lol.

do you think an intel celeron D 2.8ghz, 1.28gb ram, a geforce 7300GT and a 19" widescreen LCD monitor (which i plan to buy) would do the trick? atm my mac is a bit sluggish so i hope to fix that.

thanks for any input ;)

How much is that 7300GT?

I think the limiting factor for any high end games on your system will be the CPU. (Is that SSE3 or only SSE2?)

You should get all the features with that card. 512MB based nvidia video cards have to have their BIOSes flashed to work on a Hackintosh. (SO stay with the 256MB)

hey thanks for all the replies.

well im in australia.. so i cant use new gg, well i as an individual cant anyway. i dont have a debit or credit card. At my local computer store the prices arent as they are on newegg, they seem so much more then american prices :P . in AUD the 7300GT i wish to buy is about $120, i have looked at about 3 different local computer stores websites and the prices arent much different.

just one question, does newegg post all around the world? and if so how much will it cost to post do you think?

@Headrush69

i know my cpu will be letting me down in gaming, i would like to get atleast a p4, rather a celeron D :P i bought this system quite a while ago and decided to put it together to test out mac. im not sure whether it is sse3 or sse2, how would i check?

@sarahbau

i would buy the 7600GS but in australia at my local stores the prices are hefty, they are about $180 here :( . australia in my opinion is far behind in technology :( , and so the prices really are quite high. on the newegg site, which 7600GS would you recommend?

@OMX-Knuckles

what website/country did u get ur prices from ? :blink: if only they were that low here :( . a 7600GT 256mb is around $230. thats abit to much at the moment, and to put into my crappy comp :P . my other comp atm is far superior, its just mac doesnt like it :blink::wacko:

I just looked at your prices, wow you guys pay a lot more than we do in NZ. The cheapest 7600GT is $165NZ (~$140AUS/120US) from PcPacific, if you contact them they will organise shipping to Australia. You can get a 7600GS, for about 110$AUS. The 7600GT is a MUCH better card than 7300gt/7600gs.

@ consolation

yeah the prices in australia are outrageous lol. i went to that site but i dont see prices, ive probably overlooked it. is there any trusted site that will ship quality products to australia? like a good store such as newegg.com etc? pcpacific is a trusted site right? :poster_oops:

hey thanks for all the replies.

well im in australia.. so i cant use new gg, well i as an individual cant anyway. i dont have a debit or credit card. At my local computer store the prices arent as they are on newegg, they seem so much more then american prices :poster_oops: . in AUD the 7300GT i wish to buy is about $120, i have looked at about 3 different local computer stores websites and the prices arent much different.

just one question, does newegg post all around the world? and if so how much will it cost to post do you think?

@Headrush69

i know my cpu will be letting me down in gaming, i would like to get atleast a p4, rather a celeron D :P i bought this system quite a while ago and decided to put it together to test out mac. im not sure whether it is sse3 or sse2, how would i check?

@sarahbau

i would buy the 7600GS but in australia at my local stores the prices are hefty, they are about $180 here :( . australia in my opinion is far behind in technology :( , and so the prices really are quite high. on the newegg site, which 7600GS would you recommend?

@OMX-Knuckles

what website/country did u get ur prices from ? :blush: if only they were that low here :( . a 7600GT 256mb is around $230. thats abit to much at the moment, and to put into my crappy comp :P . my other comp atm is far superior, its just mac doesnt like it :blink::wacko:

www.shopbot.com.au

I bought a 7600GT 256MB from PC Maniacs for about $150AUD inc. shipping

You can get 7300GT's for about $100 for the fanless ASUS one.

hmm cool, ill check that site out. i dont like giving my address and debit card details etc to unknown sites.

just to make things clear, i am after a AGP Gfx card lol

sorry just a quick edit* : would the ati x1650Pro be a better option? this site here looks like it has a good one http://www.techflare.com.au/sales.asp?item...127&search=

and for the price it doesnt seem to bad :poster_oops:

heyy sorry, i just looked at some reviews and they say the 7600GT is better then the x1650Pro, so ill try and find a cheaper 7600GT :blush: sorry for the double post

@ consolation

yeah the prices in australia are outrageous lol. i went to that site but i dont see prices, ive probably overlooked it. is there any trusted site that will ship quality products to australia? like a good store such as newegg.com etc? pcpacific is a trusted site right? :thumbsup_anim:

LOL, I've miss-pasted another link, sorry. omfg posted a link where you can get similar prices in Oz.

I don't know how things work across the ditch, but over here you transfer money into the shop's account and use an order number for a reference. So you don't need to use debit cards or give up any personal details, except for a delivery address. If you want to be reassured check if they have a physical address and offer local pickup.

I'd go with this

http://www.techflare.com.au/sales.asp?item...126&search=

The cheaper one they sell is not dual dvi.

Well I've got a 7600gs and a p4 3.0ghz that's not too far away from the celeron-d (it has more cache, that's all)

Games run really well on it, only supreme commander can't be run in full. Mostly game at 1280*1024, with everything on full, and no AA.

So far it's handled everything I can throw at it and it even supports dual-screens. Highly recommended!

7300GT AGP is about NZ$120ish (US$85) so you're about right there.

7600GT for $165 (PCIe) (US$120) or $270 (AGP) (US$200)

Newegg doesn't post internationally. The only places I had any luck finding with good prices that did were in Canada, or off Ebay. Anywhere in the states either didn't post internationally, or insisted on using UPS at US$60+ a parcel (which is some serious BS!)

Prices here are fairly reasonable considering, so no biggy.

bah! ill have a look around ebay and such lol.

thanks for the help, seeing as i cant afford the 7600GT ill look for the 7600GS :thumbsup_anim:.

it will have full compatibility right ? with QE/CI?

thanks

Yep, go for a dual dvi version if you can. The GS offers a pretty respectable performance for a budget card, but in a bang per buck equation you can't go past the GT version.

LOL, I've miss-pasted another link, sorry. omfg posted a link where you can get similar prices in Oz.

I don't know how things work across the ditch, but over here you transfer money into the shop's account and use an order number for a reference. So you don't need to use debit cards or give up any personal details, except for a delivery address. If you want to be reassured check if they have a physical address and offer local pickup.

I'd go with this

http://www.techflare.com.au/sales.asp?item...126&search=

The cheaper one they sell is not dual dvi.

hahaha i thought that site was a bit.. uhh off topic? lol haha australia isnt like where it is whereever u are :P. if the website you suggested does post then GREAT! thats a bloody low price compared to so many other prices ive seen :D. unfortunately i cant reassure myself as i live on the other side of the country to where this store is held :P. this card i have heard gives off great fps in games in windows. is it as great in mac? ,ofcourse i probably wont game much on my mac, but i would prefer the extra performance. atm my 9250 is being VERY sluggish :(. ahh one last question, when installing the nvidia card if i buy it. would i have to uninstall the drivers i have for my 9250 ?

anywayz thanks for your help. ill get back to you about whether or not they post across teh country :thumbsup_anim::P

I'm not following your VISA concerns when ordering. I dislike sometimes having to pay a 1.5-4% surcharge, but I've never had any 'problems'. You're actually better protected than you would be if you paid cash.

I can definitely vouch for PC Maniacs. It's run by a sole-trader in Victoria and he knows his gear well.

Just one more thing - did you say AGP!?!? You're probably not too far off buying a good budget motherboard for the difference in price between the AGP and PCIe cards.

heyy yeah i did want an AGP card.. because my mobo atm is socket 478 and only has AGP, i will upgrade my main computer with windows xp on it to a c2d e6600, but then on that ill just use my 7950GT so yeah. im upgrading my old mac comp :P. also, does pc maniacs post across australia because im in perth not victoria so..

well thanks, ill email him and ask :) although he has no agp cards :) what do you think is a good deal for a good cheap cpu and motherboard that is fully mac proof? and good enough for gaming ofcourse :)?

I'm not too sure how much I can help with the good cpu/mb suggestions. There's some good threads around this board though.

PC Maniacs? I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but shipping to Perth might have an additional surcharge. Otherwise just work out the components you're after and look on shopbot for local resellers. Also, remember that even if they don't list something on their webpage, send them an e-mail as they might be able to order it in for you.

Earlier on in the thread someone mentioned SSE2/SSE3. It's best to use a Windows tool called CPUID. Google for it.