SpeedStep GUI

56 posts in this topic

ok, i downloaded, installed, and restarted the computer.

then, i found the Speedstep in Apps folder. I double clicked it, but nothing comes on. i doesn't seem to work for me. by the way, how do i remove it?

I had the same problem in the beginning (Speedstep GUI not starting). Then I partially installed the macdotnub package (esp. the throttler-kext) and then everything started working.

To delete it, you just have to change permissions or log in as root.

still doesn't work. now it shows an error, saying CPUthrotte.kext is not loaded. but i installed it already, and how do i load it? manually?

Did you repair permissions after installing it, then reboot? Manual load is with the "kextload" command.

I like it too but it would be nice if there is a setting that handles like the linux kernel governors do.

In Linux there is speedstep governor called "on demand" that takes care of thresholds and so on. but its not really threshold based i think ...

its really damn fast on switching cpu freqs so i would like to see that under os x .. even if I set the thresholds to something like 95% and the other value very close it is not fast switching in my opinion.

Hey ViennaL,

yea you are right.. this actually offers no way of stepping frequencies aggressively at all..

I actually want to rework the CPU stepping rountine.. because currently how it works is it tests every 0.5seconds if the cpu is using more than max_threshold % (threshold) and if it is then it will step up by _1_ frequency and check again.. and maybe step again by _1_ frequency.. if it drops below the min_threshhold % then it will step down by _1_ frquency again. This is slightly retarded ofcourse ... instead I should have it check the absolute value and step up to the highest frequency immediately if its at nearly 100% etc.

also it is a known "issue" (if thats what you want to call it) that preferences does not save to any configuration file. I have yet to implement that.. i started actually and i have a semi-functional beta for it.. but its still too buggy for release.. i will release it soon though hopefully..

anyways: I'll do my best to get this working soon,

tuxx

Did you repair permissions after installing it, then reboot? Manual load is with the "kextload" command.

is there a guide out there that i can follow? i don't know how to repair permission nor how to do kextload.

Now, this programs runs on itself everytime i start the computer, and this message pops up every times.

also it is a known "issue" (if thats what you want to call it) that preferences does not save to any configuration file. I have yet to implement that.. i started actually and i have a semi-functional beta for it.. but its still too buggy for release.. i will release it soon though hopefully..

Thanks for the update. Implementing to save preferences would be really useful. If you need someone for beta-testing, I'd be happy to help (send me a PM). Cheers!

is there a guide out there that i can follow? i don't know how to repair permission nor how to do kextload. Now, this programs runs on itself everytime i start the computer, and this message pops up every times.

There are many guides and tutorials you could find on google. Instructions for commands to repair permissions can be found on this forum. Anyway:

Console:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

and/or

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/	 
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/		  
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache	 
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

hi tuxx.. super tool :D jedenfalls,

i've used to have your tools running under 10.4.9 and it worked excellent, now that i installed 10.4.10 it refuses to start :thumbsup_anim:

if i click the icon it asks for permissions, but then nothing happens.. BUT a process is running...

it would be great if you could fix it up for 10.4.10

hi tuxx.. super tool :) jedenfalls,

i've used to have your tools running under 10.4.9 and it worked excellent, now that i installed 10.4.10 it refuses to start :P

if i click the icon it asks for permissions, but then nothing happens.. BUT a process is running...

it would be great if you could fix it up for 10.4.10

It won't work in 10.4.10 as the 10.4.10 kernel source is not released therefore the kernel developers can not apply the Speedstep patch to the kernel :P

Currently the 10.4.10 kernel is a edited official one...

It won't work in 10.4.10 as the 10.4.10 kernel source is not released therefore the kernel developers can not apply the Speedstep patch to the kernel :P

Currently the 10.4.10 kernel is a edited official one...

thanks alot for the reply!

so whats the solution? can i install a patched 10.4.9 kernel on a 10.4.10 system?

is there a ETA on when apple will release the sourcecode?

lol, i didnt even know that they release the sourcecode.. i assume you'd be doing hardcore disassembling and patching... :P

the fan noise & hot laptop is killing me :(

On a different install that needed CPU throttling, I've used your program!

CPUThrottler2Beta2 didn't work with speedstep enabled in the kernel, so I remembered your application. Perhaps I didn't install ACPICPUThrottle. Anyway, it installed with SpeedstepGUI, which is nice. The kext doesn't autoload on startup, and I've been using kextload; it worked instantly without a reboot. Without the manual loading, I get "This shouldn't happen" repeating in the console log. Your application is very cleanly designed. Altering the CPU clock alters the RTC system clock on my machine (a kernel/kext problem, kernel lacks RTC_Stepping resynchronization currently), and other than animation speed it isn't a bother since the CMOS battery is broken on this machine anyway.

After SUID, perhaps an option to kextload the throttle kext when the application loads would be useful. Thanks for a great application.

• 1 month later...

I'll be releasing an update to this software shortly, which will include:

saving your settings

a safer solution

hopefully more rubust application

Please stay tuned.. and i'm open to feature suggestions

tuxx

The app works OK!

However, I have the next issue.

When I start my system, the app stucks at 800mHz, even I cannot set a custom clock and the speed options dissapear, however, If I close and reopen the app, everything works fine.

Also I had random Lock-ups and Kernel Panics.

The app works OK!

However, I have the next issue.

When I start my system, the app stucks at 800mHz, even I cannot set a custom clock and the speed options dissapear, however, If I close and reopen the app, everything works fine.

Also I had random Lock-ups and Kernel Panics.

I'm not quite sure why it would be causing such an error. I'm working on a new release with a guy from irc. Let's see if the new release fixes your problem

i got it to install and installed the acpicputhrottle.kext,

but speedstep will not load?

check if the kext is loaded properly.. perhaps fix permissions. Try loading it manually. Also, is your kernel speedstep-able? you might want to load the kext and then check the last few lines of "sudo dmesg" and paste them here.

good app. liking it.

i also get the same thing when i autoload the app on login - it appears stuck at 1GHz (minimum speed) and i have to close and reopen to have it list the rest of the frequencies and change from the minimum speed.

looking forward to the update.

(i am on 10.4.9 JaS with 8.9.1 kernel).

• 1 month later...

Tuxx was last on the forums in september.

When others use speedstep, do they get the thing where the clock becomes inaccurate and animations go slowly? I know that's the RTC Stepping thing, but it makes things a pain to use. Is it fixed with any kernel version? Thanks, this keeps me off OSX86 on my laptop.

• 1 month later...