Apple Announces YouTube Feature and 160GB Hard Drive for AppleTV

18 posts in this topic

Yesterday, Apple announced that AppleTV will soon be able to stream YouTube content right over the internet to your TV. AppleTV will provide it's own beautiful interface for viewing the YouTube content, and users will be able to navigate through with their Apple Remote. Apple said that they will provide a software update in mid-June to enable this feature.

Along with the YouTube update for AppleTV, Apple will also be offering a new AppleTV build-to-order option that includes a 160GB hard drive. The larger hard drive option is ideal for storing movies and videos that might take up valuable hard drive space on your Mac or PC. The hard drive upgrade is also able to hold 200 hours of video, 25,000 pictures, or 36,000 songs.

Guest Ramm

You tube is taking over the world. What's going to fall victim next? KFC, perhaps?

(I would just like to point out that in the first sentence, an "L" got horribly misplaced....)

I like the update, mainly the hard drive, but you tube could be cool. Will be interesting to see how the interface pans out, searching could be pretty crappy without a keyboard.

I think the hard drive upgrade has pushed me over the edge to buy one tbh.

D

p.s. - Its good to be back :)

the hard drive upgrade should have been in the original version in my opinion. Hard drive prices haven't exactly fallen that much over the past few months so why wasn't this in the original (cost only?) and with downloadable media on the internet only increasing in popularity I think this upgrade is great but a little late to the stage. I do look forward to it though and will probably purchase one now that the HD is larger so I don't have to worry about streaming over a wireless G network. I'm indifferent over YouTube/Apple working together, maybe I'll check it out more after I get an appletv...

Somebody has to post news and the News Team isn't doing their job. :D

not to be a jerk but thats the truth, whenever something like this would come up it would usually be the news team to post it, but now its left to the users. And its good that Sabr is doing the weekend news but they still cant compare to Colonel's. thats just me

also rumored that Apple TV will eventually receive IPTV. Maybe they'll even include DVR features when that comes out.

but the atv doesnt have a port for input if am correct, if this was to happen then a new model of atv's would have to be made.

To be honest this next version was probably penciled in from the get go. Get all the people who will buy it any way first off, then introduce a better version to get all the people teetering on the edge to buy aswell as making everyone who really wants the upgrade to buy a new version.

But that could be a pessimistic look at it ^_^

To be honest this next version was probably penciled in from the get go. Get all the people who will buy it any way first off, then introduce a better version to get all the people teetering on the edge to buy aswell as making everyone who really wants the upgrade to buy a new version.

But that could be a pessimistic look at it :D

I agree with dtm3dd (at least about the 160GB Hard Drive option). 40GB is just not enough (especially if you are using this as media storehouse). On my OSx86 PC, I have an 80GB IDE Drive (but with two partitions 40GB each). Fortunately, I do not have too much media on either partition but I see how this would fill up fast.

As for the YouTube upgrade, this seems like a welcome addition for an upgrade. The interface looks really neat and slick.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/tour.html?section=youtube

--danyel :)