[HowTo] Speed up hard disk access

greeze

133 posts in this topic

Thanks greeze!  :blink:  I've been wondering which numbers you refered to. And for the 4kb blocks speed they're just 1.19mb/s and 0.60mb/s. Is that normal or good enough?

I think that's normal and good enough. I've been reading that reads/writes under the Random disk test are pretty slow. When I get home tonight, I'll post my before/after scores so people can get a general idea.

Yes, I'm using both kext from the first post. But I'm not running on an Intel chipset though. Is this patch only suitable for Intel chipset motherboards?

Probably. Since it relies on an Intel kext, it's possible that Tiger never loads it for you. :( I should probably update the first post with that info.

I have a Asus P4C800 mobo currently. I didn't need to apply this patch. xbench gave me a score of 61.45 without me doing anything.

btw.... i have a WD36 gig 10,000 RPM drive running this atm :)

The mobo i have works flawless minus needing drivers for the video card. ;) Tomorrow I'll have a i915 w/GMA900. I'm excited to see QE in action. :)

I removed the AppleI386GenericPlatform.kext to force the kernel to look for more specific hardware.  The AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is now loaded and everything is flying.

My xbench went from an overall 22 to an overall 35.  The disk score went from 5 to 22.

Thanks for the find.

What is a *.dmg file, and how do I use it. I'm doing this by copying stuff over from my windows box cause my router is down. Also, how do I find out if my osx install is using AppleI386GenericPlatform or AppleIntelPIIXATA?

Well I've tried everything in this thread but my disk still shows 2MB transfers. I am pretty sure I have an Intel chipset, whats the easiest way to find out?

EDIT: Well I found that I don't have an Intel chipset...so is there anyway to get this over to non-Intel chipsets?

I thought ICH4-6 were the only 'real' supported chipsets for this stuff, although since some people got SATA working on NForce3 (and 4?), they may be as well.

Who? kext for nVidia has only PATA driver.

Who? kext for nVidia has only PATA driver.

Ahh, thanks. <_ i had just seen it mentioned working didn know if was pata or sata... mentioning since you see people with about a dozen different chipsets complaining when only handful have chance in hell. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

I made sure these steps were done (and they show running)

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

deleted these

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

and deleted the Generic Intel one.

My numbers doubled for the HD test, and everthing else improved dramatically...but my HD speeds are still no where near what I saw here.

How do I go about trouble shooting.

Um hate to point out but the cp command used in such a way in improper and will fail. a .kext is simply a directory continaing files and a directory stucture for kernel extentions. So would the -R modifyer fix this problem or is there a better way to do it?

Well his instructions werent given using ditto. they were using plain old cp command. You realy should add cp -RLv just to make sure everything goes right. Atleast thats what I use to copy around kexts.