Apple key on Win keyboard

11 posts in this topic

On every keyboard I've used, the Windows key works as the Apple key in OS X (and on Apple keyboards in Windows, the Apple key works as the Windows key). However the placement is swapped with the alt/option key, so I use ControllerMate to fix that after swapping the key caps.

Go to Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> keyboard --> Modifier keys

and change the following

Control --> Command

Option --> Control

Command --> Option

this way you use the control-key to cut, copy & paste instead o/t Windows-key.

The only problem is that in terminal-apps (VI/nano etc...) the keys are reveresed (e.g. control-key is the Windows-key).

Cheers,

EPDM

On every keyboard I've used, the Windows key works as the Apple key in OS X (and on Apple keyboards in Windows, the Apple key works as the Windows key). However the placement is swapped with the alt/option key, so I use ControllerMate to fix that after swapping the key caps.

Why not simply use preferences?

Also, for special (accentuated for eg.) carracters, you may be interested in installing Microsoft or Logitech keyboard "drivers", both include several international keymaps.

Do U know any ways to restart/shutdown mac osx by keyboard?

If it's an Apple keyboard, I think control-eject (or is it command-eject) will bring up the dialog. My keyboard (Logitech diNovo) has a little button with a moon on it for "sleep" I suppose, which brings up the same dialog. If you don't have either of those, you can use something like ControllerMate to program a certain key to do something such as run an Apple Script. This script will behave similarly to the dialog:

display alert "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" buttons {"Cancel", "Restart", "Shut Down"} default button "Shut Down"
set a to button returned of result
if a = "Restart" then tell application "Finder" to restart
if a = "Shut Down" then tell application "Finder" to shut down

Unfortunately Applescript doesn't allow more than 3 buttons, so I had to remove the "Sleep" option.

If it's an Apple keyboard, I think control-eject (or is it command-eject) will bring up the dialog. My keyboard (Logitech diNovo) has a little button with a moon on it for "sleep" I suppose, which brings up the same dialog. If you don't have either of those, you can use something like ControllerMate to program a certain key to do something such as run an Apple Script. This script will behave similarly to the dialog:

display alert "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" buttons {"Cancel", "Restart", "Shut Down"} default button "Shut Down"
set a to button returned of result
if a = "Restart" then tell application "Finder" to restart
if a = "Shut Down" then tell application "Finder" to shut down

Unfortunately Applescript doesn't allow more than 3 buttons, so I had to remove the "Sleep" option.

Thanks, I forgot I have the similar key with yours in my keyboard which allow me choose Sleep-Restart-shutdown.

:dance_24: