Can I run Vista on VMware?

macgirl

23 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
hmmm just getting confused with all those version names

Reminds me of this joyoftech comic:

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/915.html

We have Vista running on our VMWare here at work, but we're on VMWare version 5.5.3 so its experimental. It takes forever to load (even on P4 3.2 GHz w/1GB RAM), and it doesn't quite shut down right. It goes into a paused state after shutdown. Probably because of the version of VMWare we have. I would assume it would work better in the newest version of VMWare.

i know u can run starter, home basic, home premium, business, enterprise, n versions (for the EU) and x64 versions (if ur processor and os supports it) in vmware, but you rnt legally allowed to do that, only ultimate and ultimate x64 are allowed, enterprise is also allowed but you need to purchase a volume liscence (i think its 25 liscenses or more)... you are perfectly capable of running any version of vista, provided that u have enough ram, but you can only run enterprise and ultimate (x86 or x64) in vmware legally

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About the editions of Vista: This is only in the Vista RC1 disc I had, not sure if this is the same for the full release of Vista but a Vista DVD contains all the editions of Vista. The only thing that chooses which edition you get is your serial code. Again this was for release candidate 1 of Vista, its probably not like this in the final release.

About the editions of Vista: This is only in the Vista RC1 disc I had, not sure if this is the same for the full release of Vista but a Vista DVD contains all the editions of Vista. The only thing that chooses which edition you get is your serial code. Again this was for release candidate 1 of Vista, its probably not like this in the final release.

Yes, it is still that way in the final release.

• 4 weeks later...

the reason that all the editions of vista are on the same disc is becuase they are almose exactly the same. microsoft hasn't really added anything in the umtimate virsion, but they are charging about 200 dollars more for it than the basic version. this is why people are switching to mac, and linux.

Synaesthesia - " Choose a vista"

LMAO,

although everything is in ultimate, there is a lot of stuff you need and need to do so it works near enough like it should. for example, re-partitioning your HDD so you can use bitlocker encryption.

And the hardware requirements for Vista look low at first (but that is the absolute minimum) but are actually pretty steep to get decent performance especially with the Aero garbage to cover up the ugliness and buggy inner workings of Vista.