ICH8 & ICH8R Patch for Intel P965 Mobo Jmicron

61 posts in this topic

Will try these out, I hope these enables all 4 ICH8 ports to work under AHCI.

edit: Looking into the package using Pacifist and noticed you included a mach_kernel with it. What kernel is it? I'm not installing it as I already have a perfectly working system...

hello,

I've the same problem. did you solve it with the mistico's patch?

thank you

hy, i've tested the two different versions of the ich8 package on my P5B

with OSX 10.4.9 /KERNEL 8.9.1

ICH8 is recognised correctly in system profiler, but it seems like there is only 2 ports

working out of 4. Is there any settings to change in the bios ?? :whistle:

Hi,

same to me:

Yellow port 1 Maxtor SATA 80 GB

yellow port 2 SATA DVD-ROM Samsung DH-163

yellow port 3 SATA Seagate 500 HD

yellow port 4 SATA Samsunf 400 GB HD

Port 3 and 4 are dead indipendent from any bios options. Because of the malfunctional ports I bought a SIL based PICIE SATA contoller. I tried to insert all know device ids

8086 2820 northbridge IDE native controller

8086 2825 southbridge IDE native controller

Both ids are shown up if set bios settings to non AHCI functionality.

8086 2824 IDE native controller

ID is active if bios is set to AHCI activ independent from native mode on or off and indipendent from Gigabype SATA contoller settings (Jmicron 363).

Whatever is configured in AppleAHCI.kext, yellow ports 3 and 4 do not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Misitico. I have a ICH8 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID controller in a Dell Dimension 9200. I have installed the patch on a working install from another PC, and changed the ID in the Info.plist. When I put the drive back in the Dell and boot with -f I still get "Still waiting for root device" any ideas please?

OK Mistiko. I also have a P5B Deluxe mobo and 10.4.8 installed on 160G drive (sata). After installing the patch, my system hangs on that "still waiting for root device" sh*t

Can you or DangerMouse76 post something like "how to do"?

Sorry for my bad English!

this details how i got the disks (SATA and IDE) working in my asus P5B Deluxe motherboard.

there seems like a lot of misinformation and voodoo involved in getting working SATA disk support in the various P965 chipset boards. i just bought one (actually two, but i'm returning one of them) and have been wading through all the ICH8 ICH8R posts and patches and work-arounds and i found that a lot of them didn't work for me so i decided to start from scratch.

<noob info>

the big picture is that apple's kext's are designed to specifically recognize the hardware/chipsets in the boxes that apple sells. they can support other hardware/chipsets too, but they will not recognize them unless you tell them how. virtually all of them have a little xml file inside the kext bundle called Info.plist. inside that file is a bunch of config-like info for the kext, including the device ID's of the hardware that kext will recognize. in order to get your hardware working with apple's kexts (assuming that they are able to support it at all) you have to edit that Info.plist to include a string that is the device ID for your hardware/chipset. finding the right device ID for your stuff can be challenging sometimes. if you are lucky you can google around or search here or on the osx86 wiki. another way is to search through the output of the ioreg command on your working osx system (see below).

</noob info>

so i have an asus P5B Deluxe motherboard which has two disk controllers on it. One is the Intel ICH8R and the other is the JMicron JMB363. In among the voodoo in the various posts i have read lately, i found that the device ID for the JMicron chipset is 0x2363197B.

i saw a lot of device ID strings for ICH8 and ICH8R chipsets in many threads, but none of them were working for me. what i mean by that is that my sata ports were working, but they were showing up in the system profile under "Generic AHCI" so i knew that they weren't being specifically recognized and i assumed that they wouldn't get the maximum performance and reliabilty that way (but this assumption might be wrong...). but since they were showing up under generic, i figured that i had to be able to find their device ID's by doing an ioreg command. so here is what i did in terminal:

ioreg -l > /ioreg-out.txt

that spewed a lot of stuff into a text file in the root of my system disk called ioreg-out.txt. then i opened that text file in a text editor and searched for "SATA". and here is part of the relevant section that i found:

+-o SATA@1F,2  <class iopcidevice,="" registered,="" matched,="" active,="" busy="" 0,="" retain="" count="" 16="">
									 | |   | | {
									 | |   | |   "IODeviceMemory" = [lot's a junk edited out]
									 | |   | |   "device-id" = <"!(">
									 | |   | |   "name" = "pci8086,2821"
									 | |   | |   "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/SATA@1f0002"
									 | |   | |   "IOName" = "pci8086,2821"
									 | |   | |   "vendor-id" = <86800000>
									 | |   | |   "revision-id" = <02000000>

see where it says "name" = "pci8086,2821" and "IOName" = "pci8086,2821"? that's the stuff i needed to contstruct the device ID for the ICH8R chipset on my motherboard. you throw that stuff together like this:

start with 0x and then add what is after the comma (2821) and then throw away the pci and then add what is before the comma (8086) and you end up with ===> 0x28218086 which is, in fact, the correct device ID for the ICH8R chipset on my P5B deluxe mobo.

[read a much deeper and better explanation about device ID's here.]

next step is to put those two device ID's into the right place in the right kexts so that osx will pay attention to them.

so i know from my reading that the kexts that matter in this case are:

Jmicron: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

ICH8R: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext

as far as i know, the appleVIAATA.kext does not really supply direct support for the Jmicron chipset (which is what supplies the IDE functionality for my motherboard). my assumption is that the IDE-related instructions for the Jmicron chipset are compatible with those in whatever VIA chipsets that apple is supporting. so adding the Jmicron device ID to the AppleVIAATA.kext works because of that compatibility.

here's the edit i did to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x2363197</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

when i was in there, i noticed that there was a similar section in this Info.plist for a VIA PATA controller. i thought that maybe i should put the JMicron device ID in there because i was in fact doing this to enable support for my IDE devices which are actually PATA devices (1 old HD and my IDE DVD drive). i tried it both ways and the performance with the JMicron under VIA SATA was way better (xbench disk score 57 vs. 34). maybe that's because addressing the chipset in SATA IDE mode is faster than PATA IDE.

next up was the ICH8R fix. here is the edit i did to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>ICH7MAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH7-M AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

</dict>

some people have posted patches and instructions for changing the key and chipset name string above to ICH8 or ICH8R. i don't think it matters at all either way, but i chose not to do that. changing these IOPCIPrimaryMatch strings is not changing the code that is running inside the kext. it's just making the kext talk to your hardware instead of the hardware in the boxes that apple sells. the code in the kext is still addressing the chipset with ICH7 instructions. presumably, the reason this works at all with these ICH8* chipsets is because the ICH8* instruction set is a superset and backwards compatible with the ICH7 chipset. apple is likely to release new kexts at some point soon that support the ICH8 chipset and then there will be another section in the Info.plist for that chipset.

so after doing these two edits i then did the usual post-kext-modification stuff:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
 sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
 sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
 sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
 sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

and then after a re-boot this is what it looks like in System Profile:

ich8ruk0.jpg

the top two are JMicron SATA ports (one internal and one external). then there are the six intel ICH8R SATA ports (identified as how they are being seen and addressed by osx -- Intel ICH7-M AHCI). then there is the JMicron IDE port hosting my IDE disk and DVD drive.

in the BIOS of the P5B Deluxe, under Main / IDE Configuration, i have SATA configured as "Enhanced" and "AHCI". under Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / i have the JMicron SATA/PATA controller set to "Enabled" with the controller mode as "AHCI".

my xbench disk scores for my SATA disks (seagate barracudas) are in a range from 54 - 57. to me that seems slow for new SATA disks, but it is workable. if anyone knows a way to get those disk scores up, lay it on us.

ok, that was a big blab.

oao

So where do I start? Which OS X install should I download? 10.4.8? 10.4.9? I'll be using a SATA DVD drive to install, so do I also need the JMicron patch still? Is there an updated guide out there? (using an Asus p5b deluxe wifi)

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I used OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2], and before installation I patched the .iso with the ICHxr patch using ppf-o-matic3. Also, something else I found out... make sure to ENABLE ACPI 2.0 Support in bios. Before that was enabled, I was getting the 'can't find root device' error.

• 2 weeks later...
i dont get this...is it for the /com.apple.boot.plist not found message?

YEah i also dont get it. I solved that problem by using a SATA dvd drive but it still Froze, and would not even install.

Perhaps there is a way to make the IDE work DURING install. Perhaps installation wiill work then?

• 3 weeks later...

I would also appreciate if someone could answer if this is included in any of the later package from uphuck 1.4xx (or any other osx86 dvd out there)??

I only have a IDE DVD burner in my setup so I can't boot the uphuck 1.3 dvd (downloading uphuck 1.4i as I type)..

/C

• 2 months later...

dumb down your bios to IDE compatitibility mode and turn AHCI off so that 1.3 can install. THen copy the kexts from the /system/library/extensions and rename them and they will change from a file to a directory then go in and follow the instructions. rename them back, copy them back and use terminal for chown, chmod. delete the kextchache and mkext. turn everything on in your bios and pray.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, i have a intel DG965OT chipset (intel desktop board)

but it won't install, i used different bios settings, did an bios upgrade,

used a external ide tot usb controller to install, used sata, ide, nothing seems to work

also used different iso dvd's uphuck 10.4.8, 10.4.9, kalyway 10.4.10

Dvd keeps hanging on ACPI: System State (S0 S3 S4 S5) (S3)

sometimes it has a kernal panic on cpu1

anyone succeeded installing osx on this board?

rest of hardware :

intel Dualcore 2,4ghz

1gb DDR2 ram

2X sata 250gb Harddisk

Plextor DVDwriter

• 2 weeks later...

i dont understand much of this. i got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 rev1 with ICH8R and Jmicron. but tring to install Leopard from the TOH R2 Patched DVD and end up with Waiting for Root message. how am i able to get those driver installed. should i get an early OSX 10.4 to work and than upgrade or what. i tried using WinImage to inject some drivers. but can see this is not possible. I can see some is talking about Uphuck install first. but will this help anyway or get me past a Waiting for Root message

i dont understand much of this. i got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 rev1 with ICH8R and Jmicron. but tring to install Leopard from the TOH R2 Patched DVD and end up with Waiting for Root message. how am i able to get those driver installed. should i get an early OSX 10.4 to work and than upgrade or what. i tried using WinImage to inject some drivers. but can see this is not possible. I can see some is talking about Uphuck install first. but will this help anyway or get me past a Waiting for Root message

I tried the Uphuck 1.4 that had the same problem with Waiting for root device. i tried all Sata ports with AHCI and and the Jmicron ports. but with no luck. Now i ordred a Sata DVD as some say will help the install

No matter what i cant get Leopard to work with Gigabyte DQ6 but after reading some other topics i found out that JAS 10.4.8 dont have the Waiting for root. and comes to the install screen. at the moment i havnt tried installing further, but will try this install first and than try upgrading to leopard when the AHCI is installed under JAS.

• 4 weeks later...

:( Sorry, I was to fast. Thanks anyway, but...

This happens: I install your patch (ICH8_Patch_Mstk_v_1.1.zip for P5b), I repair permissions, I reboot, my disks and DVD appear on the desktop. But after the second reboot they gone and I get the system message: Your kext Is not correct installed. You have to install it again or ask the manufacturer for a new version (or something like that. I read it in german an could´nt translate in in italian). And that´s what I´m asking for. WHERE´S MY NEW VERSION, MISTICO???? (Just a joke)

Did you have any idea what I can do?

Best regards

macimesser

have a look at my tutorial :unsure:

nice driver, works fine in 10.5.0 though not in 10.5.1

after install system cannot reboot ( IDE & AHCI )

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I tried both pathes with no result. The reason why I tried both is because in the first post is says my motherboard, the P5B Premium Vista Edition, is ICH8, the box of my moby says 8R.

Well anyways I tried both pathes and none of them let me boot.

For bios settings I used both AHCI as IDE (on Enhanced mode). Compatible mode gets me back in Leopard again but the disc speeds are just horrible.

Please help me fix this last problem I have with my hardware.

EDIT : I even tried sziggle manner in editing the device id, still nothing.

When I boot in compatilble mode and -v it now gives me Failed to load apple AHCI or something like that in yellow.